Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 05:34 PM

10,121 posts, read 7,788,407 times

Advertisements

This isn't really a 'Charleston' topic but maybe it is and isn't nationwide. I think others in the area might benefit though so hopefully the mods won't move it.

I found something out today that I never realized but then maybe I'm the last to know. Walmart price matches other grocery store's ad deals. At each register in Walmart, the cashier has all the ads for Publix, BI-LO, Harris Teeter, Piggly Wiggly or other grocers.

So for example if Publix has an ad for buy 2-8pk cokes and get 3 free, then when you're at Walmart and go to pay, just tell them you saw it in the Publix ad and they'll confirm for you and give you the deal. This is great especially when Walmart would have the 8pk cheaper than most grocery stores anyhow.

They will give you all BI-LO BOGO free offers and match all the other grocery store ad offers too.

This would come in handy for me with some of HT's deals. HT regular prices are a lot higher that Walmart in most items so I could just take the HT ad to buy the items at Walmart's cheaper prices and come out that much more ahead.

Now if only Walmart would double coupons, it would be really sweet.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 11-27-2014 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 05:41 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Yes, but you still have to go to Walmart, which is not worth it. Publix also accepts any coupons from competitors, and you get customer service, carts that aren't wrecked, and products you don't need to check the expiration dates on.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:10 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,947,366 times
I hate to admit it because when up North I never would have set foot in a Walmart (they're even worse up there), but I do shop there now for cleaning products and non-perishable items. I detest every minute of it, but I do it.

Harris Teeter is my store for everything else, but I mostly only buy their specials.

The cost of groceries is crazy here. Four bucks for a pound of butter? More than four bucks for a gallon of milk? Four bucks for a loaf of bread? CRAZY, even for a person who was living in crazy crazy cha-ching New York.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:27 PM

355 posts, read 391,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
I hate to admit it because when up North I never would have set foot in a Walmart (they're even worse up there), but I do shop there now for cleaning products and non-perishable items. I detest every minute of it, but I do it.

Harris Teeter is my store for everything else, but I mostly only buy their specials.

The cost of groceries is crazy here. Four bucks for a pound of butter? More than four bucks for a gallon of milk? Four bucks for a loaf of bread? CRAZY, even for a person who was living in crazy crazy cha-ching New York.
I have been saying this for awhile now. Not cheap to live here. Milk is outrageous
Forget about the price of bread. Yes many other consumer products are less but food items are a lot more expensive here.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:28 PM

882 posts, read 1,465,830 times
I make it a point not to purchase food where others purchase underwear ... and vice versa.

I know I know, I'm a snob.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
I make it a point not to purchase food where others purchase underwear ... and vice versa.

I know I know, I'm a snob.
No, you're just a person who makes sense.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:42 PM

10,121 posts, read 7,788,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Publix also accepts any coupons from competitors, and you get customer service, carts that aren't wrecked, and products you don't need to check the expiration dates on.
Yep, Publix matches competitors coupons but not their paper ad deals. I can't think of any store that will match other grocery store paper ads. Sure, I love Harris Teeter and Publix as far as the employees being friendly and the store being clean but I don't mind going in Walmart either to save money but then I'm one of those crazy people that loves to save money. It gives me a high. I know....strange. :-)

Old 11-27-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
I have been saying this for awhile now. Not cheap to live here. Milk is outrageous
Forget about the price of bread. Yes many other consumer products are less but food items are a lot more expensive here.
The cost of some basic food items is DOUBLE.
It blows my mind.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:33 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,051,527 times
I knew they did that, but I wouldn't count on the West Ashley location to have the ads or to even price match it or realize they did it (lol). Every time I've tried to coupon or price match at Walmart, it's been a miserable fail. Sure, it's probably that employee's first week on the job and they won't be there the next time I go, but I just stick to Publix and HT.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:54 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post

The Harris Teeters in SC are really nice stores, but even I, who am willing to pay for customer service and atmosphere, find HT a bit too extravagant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area