Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:28 PM

13 posts, read 28,573 times

Advertisements

"1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of them together (or even Rural)
6. Amenities preferred or must-haves
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood"

1. 350,000
2. House
3. Commute to airport but not more than 25 minutes in typical rush hour traffic.
4. Middle School-aged kids, public schools. Kids are not great achievers but will perform largely based on peer performance.
5. Suburban, but not full of people who love guns and hate government.
6. Community pool. Safe to ride bike or walk. Need to be able to go for a bike ride of at least single-digit miles without just doing dozens of loops. Yard big enough for a 60 lb dog to play fetch with a thrown ball.
7. Professionals with kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 04:41 PM

3,594 posts, read 4,368,025 times
Quote:
Suburban, but not full of people who love guns and hate government
That's gonna be tough.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:08 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,302,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
That's gonna be tough.
Not as tough as it gets when you're upstate or just more rural, out of Charleston.

Look at Ashborough subdivision in Summerville ... you'll just squeeze in with your budget. Nice.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:25 PM

14,265 posts, read 14,797,524 times
Several Mount Pleasant neighborhoods on Rte 41 (Park West and Planters Pointe) deserve a look. Might be a little bit more time (to airport during rush hours, but they meet all other criteria.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:26 PM

Seriously? A community where a majority of the inhabitants favor gun control and don't want limited government? In SC? And wants good schools?

If he/she had been willing to have poor schools or twice the budget to live downtown where its way blue there might be a chance.

That's like me moving to NYC and hoping to find a community that loves guns and hates unions.

Just sayin, let's be realistic with the expectations.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Several Mount Pleasant neighborhoods on Rte 41 (Park West and Planters Pointe) deserve a look. Might be a little bit more time (to airport during rush hours, but they meet all other criteria.
It might be challenging to find a home with a large yard for an active 60lb dog at 350k in MtP.

Then there's a reason Palmetto State Armory opened a shop across the street from Park West. Even though there are a lot of professionals out this way, a LOT of guys hunt or shoot. There's even a stay at home mom's shooters club that formed as an off shoot from the Mommy Exchange.

LocalHero could help find some price points around 350. Maybe James Island, but I'm not sure what that commute would look like.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:31 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,949,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post

That's like me moving to NYC and hoping to find a community that loves guns and hates unions.

Just sayin, let's be realistic with the expectations.
I'm MinkeyM, a proud old fashioned liberal and happy South Carolina resident, and I endorse this message.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:58 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,248,983 times
Doesn't every set include the null set?

Anyway... No, that search absolutely does not turn up empty. I live in the Old Village and a 3 bed 2 bath near me just sold for $349k. I don't own a gun. My neighbors don't own guns. I drive 20 mins to Hanahan in the morning. All those reqs are filled except the community pool, but there are lots of neighborhoods that have them and are comparable to the OV. Good luck.

Last edited by lizardspock; 03-26-2015 at 09:28 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 11:19 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,949,687 times
Yep.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:07 AM

184 posts, read 216,758 times
Suburban, but not full of people who love guns and hate government.

Well, if you look at statewide data, 42% of South Carolinians surveyed say they own a gun. So while the chances of you encountering the overly-zealous libertarian gun owner is very probable, I would not worry too much about feeling outnumbered wherever you choose to live in the Charleston area. The politics down here takes some getting used to. As Pettigru once observed, SC is too small for a republic yet too large for an insane asylum.

As was stated, I think the more difficult issue will be to find a house in a decent neighborhood that has a yard large enough for your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area