Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:15 AM

6 posts, read 7,044 times

Advertisements

Hello
I don't post here often as I can find most answers on google. However, I couldn't find any good answer on my question.

Back story; My wife and I are with Verizon right now. We have two devices and are paying $131 plus tax for two devices (iphone 6 and samsung s6 edge) and 6 gig of data. Unlimited talk and text. Though this price is not bad for coverage and customer service, we still need to cut back.

I looked into some small carriers such as Ting, U.S. Cellular, Selectal (terrible website), Republic Wireless Services, etc etc. The coverage map shows coverage but you know how that goes.

For those who are with small carriers;

Who is your carrier?
What kind of coverage do you have in Charleston and general southeast area?

We live in Ladson, SC but we travel to Columbia often and we also travel to FL often.

Any help would be appreciated..Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:29 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times
We have AT&T Family Share Value Plan. Two iPhones. Unlimited talk & text, 3 gig data which rolls over for $105 including tax.

I just checked into Consumer Cellular & we can get the exact same thing with AARP discount for $50.00. They have all kinds of plans & you can save $ by using your existing phone. No contracts either. It's month to month. Rated highly by Consumer Reports.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:32 AM

I don't have AARP. Do they give you a 20% discount? I currently receive a 20% discount with verizon for being with Boeing. I know att offers the same. Thanks for you help!

Old 07-14-2015, 05:38 PM

121 posts, read 152,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
We have AT&T Family Share Value Plan. Two iPhones. Unlimited talk & text, 3 gig data which rolls over for $105 including tax.

I just checked into Consumer Cellular & we can get the exact same thing with AARP discount for $50.00. They have all kinds of plans & you can save $ by using your existing phone. No contracts either. It's month to month. Rated highly by Consumer Reports.
I'm on my way to investigate Consumer Cellular, but wondering about the iPhone. Does the price you mentioned include the phone or do you need to bring your own? I'm assuming it doesn't so wondering about best options for a low cost iPhone.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:31 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
I am in the process of checking out total wireless. It is a company of tracfone and it is only sold at Walmart. There is a shared plan that is $60 for 2 phones and 5 gb of shared data. The service for this is Verizon. I have had Net10 for years with no problem and the service o the phone I have is AT&T. Prior to Net10 I had tracfone, which I had no problems with. Verizon was the carrier for that phoe.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:30 AM

You don't need an iPhone with Consumer Cellular, they have all kinds of phones from very basic to smart phones if you want to purchase. The iPhone is just what I have, and would continue to use. Consumer Cellular lets you keep your existing phone - if you want to (to save money).

The most compelling part of Consumer Cellular for me (besides the price) is that there is no contract. If I try them and don't like them, I leave.

To the OP who asked about a general 20% off (non-AARP discount) I don't believe so, but you could call them and ask. Their rates are very inexpensive, even without the discount. Website has all the info and pricing if you want to compare before you call.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:12 AM

I am still researching and relying on your input.

MINI, let me know how it goes with total wireless. It sounds like a good deal. I am already on the verizon network.
I just wonder if the 5 gig data is on the 4G LTE network.

I am looking for something that will let me keep my phone. I went on total wireless but it couldn't say if my device was eligible. Maybe it needs to be unlocked.

MACALAN, I am still considering Consumer wireless as well. Maybe I can squeeze them for a discount.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:54 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,927 times
I started with PagePlus through Kitty Wireless a couple of years ago. They use the Verizon network so coverage has never been a problem. A few months ago, I switched to Kitty's own Puppy Wireless and have been very happy. It is $39.95/month for unlimited talk and text and 1 GB of Data. Here's a link with more info:
Puppy Wireless Starter Portal

Old 07-15-2015, 10:10 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay04 View Post
I am still researching and relying on your input.

MINI, let me know how it goes with total wireless. It sounds like a good deal. I am already on the verizon network.
I just wonder if the 5 gig data is on the 4G LTE network.

I am looking for something that will let me keep my phone. I went on total wireless but it couldn't say if my device was eligible. Maybe it needs to be unlocked.

MACALAN, I am still considering Consumer wireless as well. Maybe I can squeeze them for a discount.
From what internet research I did, Total Wireless doesn't have LTE yet (I actually don't have a clue what LTE is). I think I am going to switch when my month is up with Net10 since I just refilled. I have a very low end android now, so I might switch to the Samsung Galaxy III.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:01 AM

Ooops. I apologize. Just re-checked Consumer Cellular, and the plan I chose is not the unlimited, it's based on what we actually use - 1,500 min talk, unlimited texts, and 1.5 gb of data. $47.50 and $10 to add another line.

May not be enough for some people.

So Total Wireless sounds like a great deal. Will have to check that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area