Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 31,586 times

Advertisements

I have read so many posts on Summerville and its subdivisions, but still can't find my answer. I was wondering if some of you could give your personal rankings of the top 5 or 10 most desirable subdivisions in Summerville. You can use subjective measures, of course, but I am thinking in terms of % home ownership, property values and their stability, amenities, etc. I thank you for all your replies!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 02:13 PM

267 posts, read 1,019,965 times
Geez that is so subjective. Here are some in no particular order. These are all ones that I know of that have some quality builders in them and staying away from anything in Charleston county.

1. Weatherstone is #1 for me. Centex built and right off the 199a exit and very close to downtown summerville.

Canebay (Centex), Wescott(Centex built), Bridges of Summerville (Centex built part), White Gables (Saussy Burbank), Legend Oaks (Saussy Burbank), Carriage Lane (Jessco) Myers Mill

I know a fair bit about the new ones, but my knowledge is weak on some of the older ones. I think some of the resident realtors here can better answer this question.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:33 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,520 times
1- Boyle Plantation- awesome custom homes with acreage
2- Ashborough - older but lots of trees
3-Ashborough east- older but beautiful homes and trees
3-Irongate- great investment potential
3.5- Pine Forest
4-Wescott Planatation- Markleys Grove section Misc builders
5-Legend Oaks

Old 01-31-2008, 03:28 PM

70 posts, read 277,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatosc View Post
I have read so many posts on Summerville and its subdivisions, but still can't find my answer. I was wondering if some of you could give your personal rankings of the top 5 or 10 most desirable subdivisions in Summerville. You can use subjective measures, of course, but I am thinking in terms of % home ownership, property values and their stability, amenities, etc. I thank you for all your replies!!!!!!!
This is a very difficult question to answer without knowing your personal criteria and priorities. There are hundreds of subdivisions in Summerville! Someone's favorite may be another person's dislike and viceversa. Do you like new vs. old? Tract homes vs. custom? Large lots vs. small? Location? Style? Construction materials? Community amenities? Covenants and restrictions vs. "anything goes" commmunities?

Are you looking at this from a strict investment point of view, or to live in? Where are you going to work?

What price range are you looking at?

Without knowing answers to many of these questions I would not dare to tell you which are my preferred options....

Old 01-31-2008, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 31,586 times
I realize that it is completely subjective. I just wanted to weigh everyone's opinion re: where they personally would prefer to live if location, price, etc were not an issue. This will be a home, but as it is a substantial portion of one's wealth, I also view it as an investment. Would it help if I narrowed it down to the area where a child would attend Summerville HS (or the new high school)? I certainly don't mind, however, if you don't use that particular criteria.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 PM

Cane bay, Weatherstone and Carriage Lane are all in Berkley county and will be having a brand new High School called Cane Bay. Berkley county isn't as good as Dorchester, but it isn't that bad either. Just stay out of Charleston county schools, at all cost.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:16 PM

70 posts, read 277,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS_Highlander View Post
Cane bay, Weatherstone and Carriage Lane are all in Berkley county and will be having a brand new High School called Cane Bay. Berkley county isn't as good as Dorchester, but it isn't that bad either. Just stay out of Charleston county schools, at all cost.
Well, it depends! Charleston County happens to have the best high school in the area, the Academic Magnet HS, ranked number 10 public high school in the nation by Newsweek two years in a row. And Wando High, also very well rated.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyhomesincharleston View Post
Well, it depends! Charleston County happens to have the best high school in the area, the Academic Magnet HS, ranked number 10 public high school in the nation by Newsweek two years in a row. And Wando High, also very well rated.
As far as Wando is concerned, that is great if you are moving to Mt. Pleasant but does not do anyone any good who is moving to Summerville.

It is true that the magnet high school is among the best in the country, however, any of the locations that are Charleston County in the Summerville Ladson area are in the District of RB Stall High. As far as I have heard this is one of the absolute worst high school in the low country and if not the state. So if you don't get into the Magnet, look what you are stuck with... My point is unless a parent is prepared to face the contingency of sending their kid to private school and not RB Stall than stay out of Charleston county.

As far as the magnet programs are concerned they are great for the time being has it has traditionally been exclusive to better students that show academic excellence. Charleston county has crappy schools, it is no secret. The problem is the parents who want their children to get a good education greatly outnumber the spots in the better schools. I recently spoke with an elementary school teacher who has a child that goes to the Magnet school. She feels the magnet is going to go down hill in the coming years as who gets in there will be less based on academic excellence and more to do with political correctness and lottery's. Something to think about.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:00 PM

528 posts, read 1,514,269 times
Okay...I'll take the challenge without knowing your criteria...(Except for schools)...definitely not something I'd do if you were sitting in my office, but for fun here, sure.
1.Historic Summerville-not necessarily a "neighborhood" but definitely a small area with a great sense of community. Your kids can ride their bikes to Azalea Park, the beautiful tennis courts at Azalea or Laurel, Great kids park on Richardson Ave and Laurel st...walking distance to many of the churches. Kids can walk to the downtown area and grab coffee...(My kids loved it)
2.Gadsden-this is a community which is very close to Historic district and so all of the same things I said previously apply. Gadsden has great homes, large yards and is home to the famous "Woodlands Inn" as well. Homes come on the market very infrequently in this subdivision.
3.Pine Forest Country Club-great development with well built homes, great lots and a great community pool and clubhouse. Great swimming team for the kids, beautiful tennis courts and great golf course.
4.Legend Oaks is also a great golf community with a variety of homes in different price ranges. I've sold quite a few homes in there and my clients have always been extremely pleased with the neighborhood and community.
5.Gahagan-well established neighborhood in Summerville with reasonably priced homes in a great location.
I've majored on some older established areas...not to say I don't recommend and heartily sell the new developments as well. I just know that the older ones don't get as much coverage and they are very exceptional.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:34 PM

21 posts, read 45,402 times
Default also moving to summerville

I am also looking to relocate to the summerville area. Taxes and overcrowding are killing us up here on Long island. My wife and I are interested in Cane Bay it seems very nice any information would be great we are looking for good schools a house with a yard(doesn't have to be big but we don't want to be right on top of our neighbor ) since we have small children and a good all around family neighborhood .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area