Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
Our SIL lives and works on DI, and bikes or walks to work most days. Most weekends they go dt or explore other nearby areas, including visiting in WA, MtP, JI and Summerville. It is nice to be close to work, who wouldn't like that?
I considered it, but I didn't want to spend $1300-1500 / month on a 700-900 sqft apartment in a complex.

I would maybe spend that much, if it was in a prime spot downtown. But Daniel Island is not "cool" enough to justify that kind of price for a 1 bedroom apartment, no matter how many luxury amenities they throw at you.

Where DI works best, is for two high income professionals in households who can afford to buy in the $500k+ range, want good schools, and don't mind being up close and personal with the neighbors.

Last edited by le roi; 12-28-2015 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
That 523k number makes me wonder if that also includes the housing on Cainhoy in the DI average.
That figure included Thomas Island, but not the Clements Ferry/ Cainhoy Peninsula area.

Also was median, not (mean) average. Median is usually lower than the average.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:48 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I considered it, but I didn't want to spend $1300-1500 / month on a 700-900 sqft apartment in a complex.

I would maybe spend that much, if it was in a prime spot downtown. But Daniel Island is not "cool" enough to justify that kind of price for a 1 bedroom apartment, no matter how many luxury amenities they throw at you.

Where DI works best, is for two high income professionals in households who can afford to buy in the $500k+ range, want good schools, and don't mind being up close and personal with the neighbors.
Exactly -- the young folk living on the island are finding they spend more time driving off to go do stuff. It's great for a family that wants to hang out with their kids...not so great for folks who like to go, do, see.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:47 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
That figure included Thomas Island, but not the Clements Ferry/ Cainhoy Peninsula area.

Also was median, not (mean) average. Median is usually lower than the average.

Three observations ...as of the 11 months of 2015 ending in November, 313 SFH on Daniel Island were sold.. with an average price of $859K... the island has a 38 day supply of SFH.

My son and his family moved onto Daniel almost 2 years ago from Fairfield County CT. ... lives on a cul de sac of 5 homes ...3 homeowners work on the island ... one works in MTP and one works downtown ( my son ).

Stand alone townhomes currently sell .. when available ... from the low 400'S to the high 600's. Condo's sell from around 200 ( 1 bdrm) .. to over a million.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:58 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times
Interestingly, if you read the original Master Plan for Daniel Island, it's stated purpose was to be an extension of Charleston and to provide lower cost homes to people who worked in Charleston and could not afford to live on the Peninsula.

I guess it does part of that - provides lower cost homes than those on the Peninsula - but doesn't provide much for the regular working person. There are some smaller homes on the island, but those are all now inching upwards of 500K. Depending on your situation, that is more than most young couples starting out can afford.

The prices reflect not only constant, aggressive marketing (in Coastal Living magazine, etc.), but the attractiveness of the location.

Moneill, there is little difference between driving from North MP to South MP, downtown, and the beach than there is to those places from Daniel Island. DI is @15-20 min at most to downtown and the beaches, 10 min to MP and all it's shopping.

So it's not just from families that want to "stay put" and take advantage of the schools, parks, pools and tennis here. It's for people like my husband and myself who value the quiet, safety, sense of community, dog-friendly environment, abundant walking/bike trails and a real downtown. We also like to "go, see, do" and don't find it an inconvenience at all to go off island when we do. And for "day to day" things we rarely venture off DI unless we want to go to Whole Foods, Home Goods or have a doctor appt.

Cynic - What's a "stand-alone" townhouse? Aren't they all attached?

Old 12-29-2015, 07:09 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Yes -- Daniel Island is still closer than North Mt. Pleasant -- but young couples with no kids aren't going to move to north Mt. Pleasant for the most part. Thing is -- they moved to Daniel Island because they thought it would be cool and then they realize -- meh not so much. They are looking to head back to the peninsula, West Ashley or Mt. Pleasant. It is what it is. Doesn't mean that Daniel Island isn't a great place to live...it just isn't for everyone.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post

I was wondering that, too.

I assume he or she was just referring to the larger townhomes.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:34 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Interestingly, if you read the original Master Plan for Daniel Island, it's stated purpose was to be an extension of Charleston and to provide lower cost homes to people who worked in Charleston and could not afford to live on the Peninsula.

I guess it does part of that - provides lower cost homes than those on the Peninsula - but doesn't provide much for the regular working person. There are some smaller homes on the island, but those are all now inching upwards of 500K. Depending on your situation, that is more than most young couples starting out can afford.

The prices reflect not only constant, aggressive marketing (in Coastal Living magazine, etc.), but the attractiveness of the location.

Moneill, there is little difference between driving from North MP to South MP, downtown, and the beach than there is to those places from Daniel Island. DI is @15-20 min at most to downtown and the beaches, 10 min to MP and all it's shopping.

So it's not just from families that want to "stay put" and take advantage of the schools, parks, pools and tennis here. It's for people like my husband and myself who value the quiet, safety, sense of community, dog-friendly environment, abundant walking/bike trails and a real downtown. We also like to "go, see, do" and don't find it an inconvenience at all to go off island when we do. And for "day to day" things we rarely venture off DI unless we want to go to Whole Foods, Home Goods or have a doctor appt.

Some of the larger Condo buildings market their first floor units as Townhomes ... since they have access directly from the street .. instead of having to enter the building itself...some also have private back yards .. or court yards ...the upper floor units are marketed as condo apartments.

So yes ... traditional townhomes are attached....just couldn't come up with a name to call those units that are part of larger condo buildings... did the best I could ..lol

Old 12-29-2015, 07:55 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,600,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
Some of the larger Condo buildings market their first floor units as Townhomes ... since they have access directly from the street .. instead of having to enter the building itself...some also have private back yards .. or court yards ...the upper floor units are marketed as condo apartments.

So yes ... traditional townhomes are attached....just couldn't come up with a name to call those units that are part of larger condo buildings... did the best I could ..lol
I get the difference you're trying to pinpoint but technically the difference between a townhouse or condo is in how it's owned. With a townhouse, you own the exterior of the building and the land it sits on outright while with a condo you generally own the interior outright but own the exterior and any common areas jointly with all the other condo owners. (that's a simplified explanation) The shape or configuration of the building has less to do with whether it a TH or C.

What

Old 12-29-2015, 12:33 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times
Thanks Cynic, learned something new. I knew that some of the River Landing units had private entrances. I think the realtor called it a "Villa" - haha. I didn't know that some had private yards - nice. I think some also have private garages, correct? The only ones I've seen (1-2 in the last year) have been at the River Landing Complex.

Local Hero, you're a realtor, you know better than I, and Cynic, you may also know this, but I thought (from the little inquiring we did of the townhomes on Daniel Island Drive) that those townhomes - which all have a separate entrance from the street, a small yard and a private garage - had their exteriors covered by the Regime fee. That's what we were told anyway. If the roof leaked, or the siding needed to be replaced, the Regime fee covered that, not the homeowner. Is that not true? If not, that's a whole lot of money to be paying monthly for flood, wind and hail insurance ($300s and $400s).

I also though a "townhouse" meant private entrance with up and down floors owned by the homeowner, and a condo was one floor with people potentially above you and below you like an apartment. I do understand the technical classification as you mentioned.

Moneill, you are correct. Daniel Island is not "cool" if cool is having lots of bars/nightlife. Not sure MP has lots of nightlife either, but certainly has more bars/restaurants than DI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area