Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:46 AM

204 posts, read 184,676 times

Advertisements

Just wait until Volvo opens. Many of those workers will live in or around Summerville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 06:22 PM

83 posts, read 114,751 times
Where in Summerville is Volvo supposed to open up?

Old 06-09-2016, 06:27 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael View Post
Where in Summerville is Volvo supposed to open up?
Ridgeville. One exit up 26 from Summerville.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:23 PM

5 posts, read 3,549 times
Summerville is, without a doubt, the nicest, cheapest area to live.
Their public schools are the highest rated in the area.
20 to 25 years ago it used to be special, now it's just urban sprawl and a lot of displaced Yankees, with their Yankee driving and rudeness that have turned it into an average place to live.
Very unfortunate.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 727 times
I have lived in New England all my life and now looking to start a NEW CHAPTER. I have been going back and forth trying to decided where I want to move to, West Coast of Florida (Fort Meyer's area) or Charleston SC area like Summerville. My 22 year old daughter is like 80% wanting to move with me. I'm a very young 56 year old woman who still needs to work, my career has been pretty much been spent in Human Services which I will never be rich no matter where I live..lol My daughter wants a decent nightlife as I do but I also want to be close to the ocean. We will be renting an apartment at least for a year or two.
I am desperately seeking advice, ideas, and any and all help in where you think I should be looking that would satisfy my daughter's needs as well as my own...we are both single so yes keep that in mind...lol
Thank you all and looking forward to your responses!!!

Old 09-17-2019, 08:13 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondaroosky View Post
I have lived in New England all my life and now looking to start a NEW CHAPTER. I have been going back and forth trying to decided where I want to move to, West Coast of Florida (Fort Meyer's area) or Charleston SC area like Summerville. My 22 year old daughter is like 80% wanting to move with me. I'm a very young 56 year old woman who still needs to work, my career has been pretty much been spent in Human Services which I will never be rich no matter where I live..lol My daughter wants a decent nightlife as I do but I also want to be close to the ocean. We will be renting an apartment at least for a year or two.
I am desperately seeking advice, ideas, and any and all help in where you think I should be looking that would satisfy my daughter's needs as well as my own...we are both single so yes keep that in mind...lol
Thank you all and looking forward to your responses!!!
So, if it were me, I'd look at 29414 West Ashley and 29407 West Ashley for areas to live. As far a human services, that can translate to a job in pretty much any metro area. Close to the ocean equals higher prices, but you can still live in West Ashley for relatively cheap, even compared to Summerville, and it's closer to the ocean. I am a Charleston native and honestly I can't stand the beaches. Maybe it's because a good part of my business (Short Term Rentals) is spent on the beach every single weekend, but honestly I love the water, just I'd rather be in a creek or on the river more than putting up with the beach crowds. There's plenty of community park fishing docks around town too, owning a boat is not a requirement to enjoy our rivers.
You can spend a buck or two, go to James Island County Park and enjoy a nice bike ride, with marsh views, or enjoy a picnic with your pets or what have you... To me it's a much nicer way to spend the day...

Old 09-17-2019, 12:42 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
Glad that N Charleston is getting some love. It's the center of the metro region and an easy commute to most any part of town.

No place is perfect for everyone. I find DI and parts of Mt P to be way overpriced for the quality of homes available.
The majority of the new homes both on Daniel Island and in Mt Pleasant are tract homes built by national or regional builders. The main difference is the level of finishes (hardi plank vs vinyl siding, wood vs carpet, granite vs laminate), extra landscaping, sidewalks vs curbs, and size/features of the amenity center in the 'nicer' locations such as DI or Mt P vs Futher out West Ashley, Hannahan, Dorcester Rd, or Summerville. And sometimes there is a variety even within those areas.

As far as the OP's wanting nightlife for her daughter- Summerville has a full array of bars and restaurants but they are a different character than downtown Charleston- which is different thant the beaches or close in suburbs. A lot of youngish (upper 20s/early 30s) are really starting to prefer Park Circle in North Charleston for the scene; some younger ones (20s) consider Upper Kings Street or the big draw, and 30 & 40 year olds are tending to be look for areas like Avondale in West Ashley. Summerville trends towards this same mix. I actually think the beaches and Morrison Drive area have the best mix.

With Nexton booming and so many jobs moving further out, I think the nightlife/entertainment options in Summerville/Goose Creek are only going to rise.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:32 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I, a former Bostonian, agree with start with a rental in West Ashley (or Mount Pleasant better but more expensive) then learn your way around.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:24 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
All good advice but just be careful about the exact location. West Ashley, Summerville, James Island, etc all have areas that it would be best to avoid. If you find something that seems like it would work for you, you can ask about the neighborhood here. Someone is likely to be familiar with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area