Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,800 times

Advertisements

What is the perception of Goose Creek? Would you want to live there? I know it's a broad question but I'm looking for a broad range of answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:41 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
I have lived there, and my grandparents still do. It's pretty easy going. GC call itself a "city" but it feels more like a bedroom community.

You still have to go over to Summerville or down to N Chas for most amenities, but the GC/Cane Bay/Carnes area is starting to fill up and will probably look like a different world in 10 years. A new hospital is coming to.

GC definitely feels more "quiet" to me than all the other cities in the metro. It's 20+ minutes from downtown though.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:00 PM

657 posts, read 738,490 times
From my understanding there are distinct differing areas in Goose Creek. Near Rhett/ Red bank it is pretty trashy, but on the other side it is supposed to be nice, but I have not spend much time over there.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:06 PM

624 posts, read 692,229 times
KEB1786 has it. Depends which side of the railroad tracks. St. James Ave. corridor is great. Red Bank/North Rhett, etc. is a dump.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:06 PM

If you end up looking at Goose Creek, look west of US 176 first. Give Hanahan a look too.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,800 times
Thanks! I see a lot about Mt. P and Summerville but it's hard to get a good read on Goose Creek

Old 09-14-2016, 01:31 PM

Goose Creek is for the most part cheaper than Summerville and much cheaper than Mount Pleasant. It's probably hard to get a good read because like I said, it's more of a 2-road bedroom community.

Sure there's city services, 2 high schools, some retail, parks, etc, but that's about it. Goose Creek is hugely residential.

Mt P and Summerville are most established and act more like true cities. All 3 are growing wildly fast though. There's (currently) 3 mega developments that will eventually surround Goose Creek. One, Cane Bay, has been at it for a while.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:36 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,982 times
Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Goose Creek has a large Filipino congregation, though I never hear of this ethnicity as prevalent in the greater Charleston area.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:21 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
Goose Creek, like it's neighbors, is in a good position to grow along with the industrial development growth north of the area. None of those areas are likely to be a bad investment. The wealthiest neighborhood in Goose Creek is Crowfield Plantation just a little north of Hanahan.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:18 AM

73 posts, read 158,757 times
I live in Goose Creek, what specifically would you like to know? My favorite thing about Goose Creek is its centrally located to all the other surrounding towns. It takes me 10 mins to get to Summerville, 10 mins to get to North Charleston, 10 mins to get to Moncks Corner, 25 mins to get to Downtown Charleston, and 25 mins to get to Mount Pleasant.

I've been living in Goose Creek for 3 years and have no complaints. Would I prefer to live in one of the surrounding towns? Not really, and here's why....

Summerville > Traffic, and too far away from North Charleston and Charleston where I work and play respectively. I would only want to live in Summerville if I lived really close to the highway.

Moncks Corner > Again, too far out the way. Too rural. Adds an additional 20 to 30 min commute to work and Downtown Charleston/Mt Pleasant.

North Charleston > Great location if you work in Charleston/North Charleston. It's just hard to find a decent community that has everything a family wants. Like nice schools, kids in the neighborhood, walkable, safe, etc....

Mount Pleasant/Daniel Island > Too expensive. Too close to the water for me.

Last edited by triley80; 09-15-2016 at 09:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area