Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:33 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times

Advertisements

Props to a Mt. Pleasant restaurant for obeying federal law and having E-verify at their mexican restaurant.
Admirable that the owners/management obeyed Federal Laws, and would hope others would follow.

I heard this was one of Mt. Pleasant people's favorite Mexican restuarants, and I was chastised when I said they were full of illegal aliens working there.

(Copyright Charleston Post & Courier, Sc)

Los Arcos Mexican Restaurant at 1136 Hungryneck Blvd. in Mount Pleasant closed recently.
A posting on its Facebook page said the restaurant shut down “due to not finding enough employees with legal documentation. We want you to have the best service and experience, but we will not be able to provide you with it because we are required to E-verify all of our employees.”
Los Arcos operates another restaurant at 214 St. James Ave. in Goose Creek. It remains open.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:56 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
Maybe it's because they got caught not paying wages properly and got hit by a huge fine and lots of federal attention...

Wage theft at Los Arcos leads to $459,000 settlement | Raskin Around | postandcourier.com

Old 12-14-2016, 01:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Maybe it's because they got caught not paying wages properly and got hit by a huge fine and lots of federal attention...

Wage theft at Los Arcos leads to $459,000 settlement | Raskin Around | postandcourier.com

Yeah -- I suspect this is the real reason.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:04 PM

I doubt that, it's because almost all the employees were illegal aliens.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:42 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times
Why did the hire them then?

Old 12-14-2016, 03:24 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Is it possible to underpay illegal workers?

Old 12-14-2016, 04:30 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
There are illegals working all around you, and employers hired them on purpose. One of them probably picked the fruit you bought at the grocery store last time, or is helping build one of the twenty million houses going up in the neighborhood.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:57 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
There are illegals working all around you, and employers hired them on purpose. One of them probably picked the fruit you bought at the grocery store last time, or is helping build one of the twenty million houses going up in the neighborhood.
Stop making sense. It's interfering with the dogma.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Also, if you think a BUSINESS, and a locally owned one at that, voluntarily shut themsleves down to "do the right thing", then lol.

Money rules, which is the reason illegals get hired in the first place. The restaurant is an investment. Youre not going to shut it down and lose your investment just because you want to be a saint and obey the law.

If that was the case, every restaurant in Charleston would be shut down for serving meat at one point that wasnt properly stored or for serving alcohol to minors...

Old 12-14-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Also, if you think a BUSINESS, and a locally owned one at that, voluntarily shut themsleves down to "do the right thing", then lol.

Money rules, which is the reason illegals get hired in the first place. The restaurant is an investment. Youre not going to shut it down and lose your investment just because you want to be a saint and obey the law.

If that was the case, every restaurant in Charleston would be shut down for serving meat at one point that wasnt properly stored or for serving alcohol to minors...
This is why I don't eat at Mexican restuarants. Maybe ICE needs to raid more of the places that hire Illegals. If the current Presidential administration had not stripped Border Patrol and ICE of their power and authority more restaurants would close down. We just have to wait until Jan 20th when a new Boss comes in that respects Law & Order and gives ICE their authority to enforce the law, and makes our border Sovereign again.

Just because you say there are illegals all around, and they picked the fruit you bought at the grocery, does not make it right that they are here being supported by our taxes and being supported by welfare for U.S. citizens. I also would rather have my house built by Americans, and the construction or framing boss should be arrested by employing illegals (and all the landscapers too). I realize this is a tough task because we have not enforced the law and had lax immigration laws for the last several years. If employers were fined $10,000 dollars they would not keep hiring illegals.

(I guess this thread can be moved to the Politics and Controversies)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area