Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 02:28 PM

52 posts, read 58,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
Care to elaborate?
I'll elaborate slightly, but I'm not looking for a political argument in any way. This is solely my opinion.....
My family and I are conservative, so we retain the values that come with that. The education system here in CT is led by liberal ideals. A search on sperling comparing simsbury, CT to mount pleasant, sc will show the differences between education and voting.

I posted above, don't get me wrong the schools are fantastic here, and I'm proud to have received a CT education, but from what I hear the MTP schools are fantastic as well, and I was just wondering what it is about the schools that makes people say that.

And sorry to derail your thread OP, hopefully these schools questions help you in some way
My family and I are doing the same as you, but it seems much faster! We're hoping to be down by august. I'll keep the Charleston forum updated. Many very helpful people here, it's made our decision even easier, Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 02:49 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
Primary schools in MtP are very good and we've been happy with them. Of the out of state parents, I've only heard from less than a handful online that have complained. Of our neighbors, ZERO feel their children are getting less of an education here than where they came from.

Middle/High I have a child in one of the best schools in the country. So yes, I'm rather happy with the education my kids are receiving compared to other out of state offerings.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:51 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
1. As an example on wages. My daughter and her husband fell in love with SC and MTP. They took some interviews. Hubby is a Fireman in the greater Boston area. He makes over $80K a year with overtime. Several MTP Fireman told him he would top out at $50K. My daughter manages a home for handicapped people. She makes about $50K. She was told she would top out in the Charleston area at $35K. They would go from $130K per year to $85K per year. They decided to do as I did. Make my money up north and retire to SC.

2. I love the $300 sales tax on a new car as I just bought a $40K car. In NJ I believe the sale tax would have been $2,800 (7%). Good deal for me, but is $300 for a $4K car and $300 for a $40K car fair? This is one reason our roads are in such bad shape.

3. For sake of conversation, NJ ranks 4th in money spent per child on education, SC ranks 32nd, and the US average is 24th. 32nd does make for not a lot of extra for say Special Needs children.

When one is relocating one needs to gather all the information they can. I want those relocating here to be as happy in SC as I am and maybe just add some more Liberals. We Liberals do get lonely in SC......LOL

PS. Overall, be prepared to be disappointed with the Italian and Chinese food in SC compared to NJ but the barbecue and the shrimp and grits is out of sight.
1. In Jacksonville everybody wanted to be a firefighter. I don't know how much they paid, but apparently it was too much as the waiting list to hired was long. Bottom line is it may have paid more but it didn't matter as they weren't hiring anyway.

2. Contrary to poplular belief, SC's roads are not anywhere near the worst in the country. The worst roads belong to states with the highest road related taxes. https://www.google.com/amp/247wallst...rst-roads/amp/ . We're ranked about average. W

3. Some schools spend as much as 3 times the spending per student as schools in the same school district much less the state. An entire state by state comparison is an over generalization.

If anything I find SC in general to be incredibly efficient. Why pay firefighters $80k when they'll do it for $50k? Mount Pleasant still maintains a highly ranked fire department.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:51 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
3. For sake of conversation, NJ ranks 4th in money spent per child on education, SC ranks 32nd, and the US average is 24th. 32nd does make for not a lot of extra for say Special Needs children.
You cant compare nj schools to sc schools. City by city is more accurate. Sc has alot of poor rural areas that they dont invest money in. They invest most money in urban areas

Old 04-04-2017, 02:39 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
You cant compare nj schools to sc schools. City by city is more accurate. Sc has alot of poor rural areas that they dont invest money in. They invest most money in urban areas
Lincoln High School had cost the county nearly 3 times that of Wando before it was shut down.
Nobody wants to go an inner city school up north either despite being well funded in many cases.

It's more of a question of favorable demgraphics than funding. People who care about good schools typically move to suburbs with good schools to the point that it becomes a self full filling prophecy.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:30 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Right.. several deleted posts later, this is what I have to say:
the next person that restarts this utterly idiotic "everything is liberal/conservative" bs approach, will get a 2 week long posting vacation.
We have a politics forum where you can act like you're 12 discussing politics, but here ? Nope.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:56 AM

515 posts, read 482,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderB View Post
I'll elaborate slightly, but I'm not looking for a political argument in any way. This is solely my opinion.....
My family and I are conservative, so we retain the values that come with that. The education system here in CT is led by liberal ideals. A search on sperling comparing simsbury, CT to mount pleasant, sc will show the differences between education and voting.

I posted above, don't get me wrong the schools are fantastic here, and I'm proud to have received a CT education, but from what I hear the MTP schools are fantastic as well, and I was just wondering what it is about the schools that makes people say that.

And sorry to derail your thread OP, hopefully these schools questions help you in some way
My family and I are doing the same as you, but it seems much faster! We're hoping to be down by august. I'll keep the Charleston forum updated. Many very helpful people here, it's made our decision even easier, Good luck to you!
YAC, go ahead and ban me if you must. Not arguing politics here...I am genuinely interested in this viewpoint and what the OP expects school to be like here. I have kids that are just starting in the local school system, so I am very interested in what is or would be taught that would have any agenda behind it, in either direction.

Schools and liberal ideals ( in my opinion): Teaching science/evolution/climate change is not a liberal ideal. Teaching facts is not a liberal ideal. Religion has no place in school (it's the law, and in the constitution). I don't see where there would be any difference in curriculum between CT and MtP in this regard, so you might be disappointed. I am truly trying to understand what you expect your children to learn here that is considered "conservative". Children should have a neutral education, but one that enstills compassion and tolerance for all people, regardless of background/sex/religion. If I got wind that MtP schools were teaching religion or intolerance for anyone, or pushing any agenda that demonizes others, my kid would be out of that school in an instant.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:08 AM

657 posts, read 738,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
Teaching facts is not a liberal ideal. Religion has no place in school (it's the law, and in the constitution).
LOL, I don't care about religion in school, but it is most certainly not in the constitution.

You should also research the difference between theories and "facts". No one is saying to not teach science or to teach creationism.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:14 AM

Separation of church and state. State cannot legislate any religion.

Creationism is not taught in MtP, if it that were the case we'd be outta here.

"No one is saying to not teach science or to teach creationism."

No one is saying it, but it's sort of being implied. Hence me genuinely asking what the OP expects children to be taught.

I'm not trying nor do I want to get into a political discussion, I'm interested in education here.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
2. Contrary to poplular belief, SC's roads are not anywhere near the worst in the country. The worst roads belong to states with the highest road related taxes. https://www.google.com/amp/247wallst...rst-roads/amp/ . We're ranked about average.
I agree. The roads here are pretty nice, compared to most places I've lived. These types of rankings are misleading, because the main driving factors in road conditions are weather and traffic.

It's no secret that most of the worst roads are in the Northeast, where the traffic patterns are extremely high, the variability in temp/humidity and rain/snow/ice are high, and in general the main infrastructure is very old. They can keep throwing money at it, but everything breaks down just as fast.

States with newer, burgeoning populations and newer built cities have the benefit of starting with state of the art roads. Coupled with relatively low traffic and nice temps (SC rarely has a freeze cycle, or uses salt on the roads), and the roads last much much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area