Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 04:46 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,769 times

Advertisements

This town is silly. The new merge lane from stono bridge to river road is supposed to take a year. It could easily be done in a month or two. Public works projects designed for long term jobs is what they are. I though of bees ferry would never get paved. So glacial.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:18 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
This took two years in planning. You can pave the road in 2 days, but it takes forever to get the work started. Roads in South Carolina are behind the times - it's like it is 1980 here.
I don't think you guys realize what all goes into a road project. Environmental surveys, the bidding process, and tracking down multiple sources of funding. The actual paving part is the easy part.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:15 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I don't think you guys realize what all goes into a road project. Environmental surveys, the bidding process, and tracking down multiple sources of funding. The actual paving part is the easy part.
Not to mention traffic studies, engineering and design, permitting, and logistics.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:20 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
And dont forget about the Lockness monster at folly beach. So everyone stay away on the weekends. Dont want to see you on the news with him dragging you out to sea

Old 07-07-2017, 08:49 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
South Carolina as a whole:

Public Education: Low reading and math scores on the National Assessment of Educational Progress exams, high tuition and fees at public colleges, low pre-school enrollment figures and low two-year college graduation rates.

Lack of Diversity: 68% white, 27.5% African American, 5% Hispanic, 1% Asian...
South Carolina has the sixth largest black population in the country. Southern states dominate the top ten list in that regard. The non-Southern states have the most pronounced lack of diversity overall, in the US, with the most extreme lack in the blue states especially New England. The white population of Southern states predominates in the lower half of the list of states.

Education wise, South Carolina is hardly alone in lack of proficiency. The number one best state is Massachusetts, where the average number of students AT or ABOVE proficient is barely 50 percent. The rest of the country is in the same general range of poor scores.

The REAL difference is in how much money each state spends to get basically the same poor results. Cuba, which spends barely a tenth of what the US spends per student, is ranked about the same as the US on the global scale.

But... old myths die hard I know.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
Certainly, our Public Education can be improved upon in SC and in some areas, it's better.

Lack of Diversity: It's more diverse than many mostly rural states...I think that we in SC at least have good harmony among our diversity of race and ethnic origins.

You're well ahead of most of the US in diversity, at least as far as the black population goes. And your education system is not much worse than anywhere else.... especially where a good part of the country is spending 3 times as much for essentially the same dismal results.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:21 AM

480 posts, read 504,125 times
Quote:
I don't think you guys realize what all goes into a road project. Environmental surveys, the bidding process, and tracking down multiple sources of funding.
The four guys supervising while one guy works, the standing around holding a shovel and looking at the hole, the smoke breaks...

Old 07-08-2017, 05:09 AM

3,841 posts, read 3,066,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
The four guys supervising while one guy works, the standing around holding a shovel and looking at the hole, the smoke breaks...

When I was young my dad used to tell me, while passing by such sightings, that this is why it's important to do well in school so I did not end being the one guy down in the hole.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:17 AM

Lots of transplants like to bash the South with all their mythologies, such as evidenced in the comments here. Doesn't stop the enormous influx of newcomers though. I wish the naysayers would do a better job of bashing the South, so that maybe the growth would slow down a bit. But... I suspect what's driving a lot of them South are the lower taxes and uh.... lack of diversity... compared to what they see in the big cities and coming to their lily-white Northern communities and schools. I say the ones who want to be here, welcome. But those who want to move down here and complain and try to change it into what they just escaped from.... don't.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:57 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,769 times
Quote:
After all of that was done and the million cones were in place on Bees Ferry, it still took them years to do what could have been done in a few months. It simply a job works program meant to last a long long time.

I saw 10 guys standing around on Brownswood Road this week while 1 guy shoveled asphalt to fix the road edges. Ten! These are problems even Ray Charles can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area