Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 01:11 PM

51 posts, read 167,403 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a 29 yr old guy, active/social, and self-employed (trade stocks, so can live anywhere), and I'm considering leaving Denver due to how high the cost of living is becoming and the insane congestion across Denver as more people move here. I'm not a huge user of the Rocky Mountains (skiing, etc) by any means, like many other Coloradans actually take advantage of. I definitely prefer the beach/water over cold/snow. Plus, after many years in Denver, it would be nice to just start fresh somewhere new.

I'm hoping to get some color as to what the pros/cons would be for living in Charleston for someone like me.

Things I'm interested in getting some color on are:
  1. How easy is it to meet friends in Charleston at my age? I'll most likely continue my self-employment, so won't have a traditional job outlet in meeting people. I would know literally no one.
  2. How is the dating scene in Charleston?
  3. For those of you who know Denver well, would you take Charleston over Denver, or vice-versa? Think I would get home sick? I know Denver has a lot more to offer than Charleston amenity wise, but I'm OK sacrificing some of that for a new experience if it would still treat me well.
  4. Would downtown Charleston be the best spot to live?
  5. Would you recommend a different city in the Carolinas?
  6. Any other thoughts/perspective would be great.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 03:57 PM

I would also add that I expect at least $1200-$1500/month for an apartment. I'm reading about Mt. Pleasant, which seems nice, though I don't know if the scene there is less ideal than downtown, or elsewhere, for a single, 29 yr old male looking to "start over."

And if I was too general in my first post. Please let me know if you need more specifics about my lifestyle/interests. Thanks!

Old 07-09-2017, 04:49 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
I would focus more on the west Ashley area. More people around 30ish. Still close to downtown and folly beach.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:56 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,769 times
You'll do fine. Go West Ashley.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:18 AM

973 posts, read 915,331 times
You shouldn't have of a problem here. Lots and lots and lots of beautiful women here. It must be the drinking water.

People here are generally affable and pretty friendly, and making friends here is not hard. Join Meetups or other social gatherings. There are dozens of new people moving here everyday so many people are in your boat (if you make the move).

Since you don't have to travel for work and can work from home or a coffee shop, I'd choose to live in West Ashley or Downtown. Lots of young professionals in both these areas.

Just some words of caution — cost of living is deceptively high despite it being South Carolina. May not be like Denver, but the bills will creep up on you pretty quickly.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:52 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,600,535 times
I moved here from Boulder. You'll probably love the winters here but getting used to the summers might take some time.
Without knowing more about your lifestyle, I'd say West Ashley, James Island or Mt Pleasant could work for you. If you're ok with a small-ish studio for $1500 or less, you could even find yourself Downtown.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the insight.

I definitely need to visit this summer. I've been reading up on West Ashley and it seems nice. Also looks like some new apartments have recently gone up there. Is the main difference between WA and downtown just cost of living? If I lived in WA, would I find myself driving/ubering downtown a lot (happy hour, meetups, kickball, etc)? Or is there plenty to keep me busy in WA (aside from no beach)?

Old 07-10-2017, 10:04 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,600,535 times
Again, depends on your lifestyle. There's enough to do in WA and it's growing rapidly but there's still more to do downtown especially if it's the night life scene you're looking for.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I moved here from Boulder. You'll probably love the winters here but getting used to the summers might take some time.
Without knowing more about your lifestyle, I'd say West Ashley, James Island or Mt Pleasant could work for you. If you're ok with a small-ish studio for $1500 or less, you could even find yourself Downtown.
I'm currently up in Westminster. How has SC worked out for you vs. living in Boulder? I know summers/humidity will take some time to get use to, but I am really just not a snow person, so the the trade off is fair.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Again, depends on your lifestyle. There's enough to do in WA and it's growing rapidly but there's still more to do downtown especially if it's the night life scene you're looking for.
I think I would be moderately active in nightlife, though I would prefer to be around 25-35. So if downtown is geared toward more college age for nightlife and WA has a decent nightlife scene, it might be a good choice for me. There is always Uber I suppose.

This new 35 Folly apt complex seems to be in a good all around location? http://35folly.com/location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area