Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 08:59 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,073,093 times

Advertisements

[quote=SkyNSea55;55718213]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
Maybe your parents didn't do much for you other than giving you life. Mine sacrificed in so many ways I will never be able to pay them back so hanging around to help them in their final years is nothing for me.

Been following along with this and you are obviously the kind of person I would hope my own kids will someday be. Hopefully not to have to take care of me, but to appreciate what others have done to get them where they are. I wish you all the best!
Thanks! We all have different life experiences. I'm lucky to have had parents that gave me a huge leg up in life. For example, my dad taught me so many skills I rarely have to call tradesman. They also taught me morals to help me live with the decisions I make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 10:45 AM

12,946 posts, read 18,805,608 times
It’s an individual thing. All of my aging friends whose children lived elsewhere abandoned me (waaaaaaaaannnhhhhhh) to move closer to their children. Not long after the last one did it, I moved to Charleston. None of them moved here. At any rate, wherever I live, I love it. If I couldn’t leave where I lived even if I wanted to, I would still dang well be positive about it and would choose to love it. I have always been that way, and I lived in several different towns and even the country when I was growing up, and as an adult in DC, Columbia, and now Charleston.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:16 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,967,131 times
[quote=SkyNSea55;55718213]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
Maybe your parents didn't do much for you other than giving you life. Mine sacrificed in so many ways I will never be able to pay them back so hanging around to help them in their final years is nothing for me.

Been following along with this and you are obviously the kind of person I would hope my own kids will someday be. Hopefully not to have to take care of me, but to appreciate what others have done to get them where they are. I wish you all the best!
So would you force your kids to move where you live or just move in with them where they live?

Old 07-20-2019, 12:38 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,073,093 times
[quote=Ziggy100;55719802]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNSea55 View Post

So would you force your kids to move where you live or just move in with them where they live?
No one should force anyone to move. You should move or stay because it's the right thing for you and your loved ones.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:58 PM

455 posts, read 671,871 times
[quote=thaifood;55719953]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post

No one should force anyone to move. You should move or stay because it's the right thing for you and your loved ones.
That is not my quote. Not sure how it ended up attached to me. It's Ziggy's.
I commend you for what you are doing for your parents. If more people felt the same way, this world would be a much better place!

Old 07-22-2019, 07:52 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,441,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Please! More potholes and dirt roads, trailer parks all around nice neighborhoods, all the tourists should really visit Chicora while they are here, and experience all of this fabulous city!

Old 07-22-2019, 08:02 PM

12,946 posts, read 18,805,608 times
I understand bad roads are a problem pretty much everywhere, in all states and cities, but I have been driving over lots of brand new pavement in the last couple weeks as the Charleston County and state road repairs are underway with the Charleston County sales tax increase and the state gas tax increase.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:12 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,967,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Please! More potholes and dirt roads, trailer parks all around nice neighborhoods, all the tourists should really visit Chicora while they are here, and experience all of this fabulous city!
The trailer parks were there first, then nice neighborhoods dropped in the middle of them because the land was cheap. You knew that before you moved to John’s Island. Now suddenly it bothers you.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:19 AM

37,902 posts, read 42,048,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
It's pretty sad that you have to live in a place you despise so much.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:54 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,441,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's pretty sad that you have to live in a place you despise so much.
Sir, I don't despise Charleston, it's a nice place, but way , way overrated. Where I grew up is a nicer place than Charleston. I love where I am from, but like others I have family here that I cannot leave right now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area