Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,603 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our three young children ages 8, 4, and 1 are relocating to the Charleston area for work. After learning about the move we have visited and were ecstatic to fall in love with the city right away. The area we like best was Daniel's Island but our only hesitation was that everyone we met was not from Charleston or South Carolina. It seemed like mostly transplants and retirees. Maybe it was just who we ran into?

I am curious where do the locals live and send their kids to school? Any feedback on the schools would be helpful (public or private). We have a healthy budget for housing so there are no constraints based on cost. If you could choose anywhere to live and raise a young family in the charleston area where would you settle? We are totally flexible as we are starting over in a new city and can see the charm in many of the areas of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 05:01 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Mount Pleasant schools are considered the best in the area, if not in the entire state. End of discussion if one has kids. Yes there are many transplants in the area, as will be you

Old 01-19-2020, 07:23 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
James Island is authentic with good schools, excellent according to the South Carolina Public Schools Report Card.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:29 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
When it comes to the greater Charleston area and outsiders, today the lunatics run the asylum.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:28 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
From the newspaper Post & Courier, 3/2018:

"Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties together added an average of 38 residents each day, from mid-2016 to mid-2017. Two years earlier, they were adding 50 residents daily.
In 2016, three South Carolina counties saw one-year population increases of 4 percent or more. In 2017, none did.
The Census Bureau estimates Charleston County gained 4,868 residents in 2017. Previously, the county averaged nearly 7,600 additional residents each year since 2010."

With such numbers over the decade, transplants are everywhere ... especially concentrated in homes built in the last 10 years. So generally speaking, look for housing built before 2000. As stated earlier, James Island. Also inside I-526 West Ashley; zipcode 29464 Mount Pleasant.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:56 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Mount Pleasant schools are considered the best in the area, if not in the entire state. End of discussion if one has kids. Yes there are many transplants in the area, as will be you
john --
Just out of my own curiosity....how long has it been since you've actually lived in the Charleston area ??

In the past week you've posted some sweeping generalizations which are simply not supportable. The Mt P schools are not considered the best in the state and that is not the end of the discussion if you have kids. There are good schools in Dorchester District 2, it is misleading to say otherwise. School is not meant to be a baby-sitting service, children (and families) will get out of school exactly what they put into it.

Yesterday, you barged into that thread from the family moving down from up north....and you poor-mouthed the restaurants around here. In your opinion, the Italian eateries were no good (I can name 3 good ones off the top of my head). And I couldn't believe you said the "seafood sucks here" This is the Seafood capital of the Southeastern USA. When the shrimp boats are running between April and December....you get shrimp that were swimming that morning. The oyster season brings visitors from far off coming for the sweet lowcountry oysters. You'd be hard-pressed to find a group of better restaurants between Virginia Beach and Miami.

You are certainly allowed to express your opinions.......but you should state that it's just your opinion.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:37 AM

657 posts, read 738,389 times
With how much money you have, and if you want to be around other families, DI or Mount Pleasant fits the bill. In Mt P, you'd probably want to live more in the 29464 as mentioned, Old Village especially. DI doesn't have a public high school, but has a Catholic one. There are also numerous private schools, but if you live in Mt P, public school is fine.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:46 AM

92 posts, read 83,646 times
As people have mentioned, MT. P is the place to live if you are going to send your kids to the public schools.

If not, there are plenty of places to choose from.

A key point to keep in mind is that schools rankings like the things found on Zillow are within the state and don't cross state lines. Thus, a school with an "8" in Massachusetts is not the same as a school with an "8" in South Carolina.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:14 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
DI doesn't have a public high school, but has a Catholic one.

From Wikipedia,

Philip Simmons High School is a high school in Charleston, South Carolina, United States. It is part of the Berkeley County School District, and is named after Philip Simmons.

Opened in 2017, it serves Daniel Island, an area of Charleston; Thomas Island; and the Cainhoy Peninsula. These areas were previously zoned to Hanahan High School.[1]

Its campus has 107 acres (43 ha) of land, and the school building will have 219,000 square feet (20,300 m2) of space.[2]

Technically on Daniel Island I think, but not in the original Daniel Island development.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:31 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearmoom View Post
My husband and I and our three young children ages 8, 4, and 1 are relocating to the Charleston area for work. After learning about the move we have visited and were ecstatic to fall in love with the city right away. The area we like best was Daniel's Island but our only hesitation was that everyone we met was not from Charleston or South Carolina. It seemed like mostly transplants and retirees. Maybe it was just who we ran into?

I am curious where do the locals live and send their kids to school? Any feedback on the schools would be helpful (public or private). We have a healthy budget for housing so there are no constraints based on cost. If you could choose anywhere to live and raise a young family in the charleston area where would you settle? We are totally flexible as we are starting over in a new city and can see the charm in many of the areas of town.
I grew up on James Island and many of the Islanders still live out there. I have personally moved to West Ashley after a 12 year stint in Mt Pleasant, the main reasons for moving is we sold our property in Mt Pleasant for an outrageous amount of cash and it was the right time to sell. Most of my indirect family (aunts, uncles, parents, cousins) reside in West Ashley and so it's nice being this close to them. It's great for Thanksgiving dinners and what not. I do have some cousins who live out in Hollywood too, but the bulk of us live in West Ashley. Daniel Island is going to be mostly transplants looking for the Charleston experience. I know a few locals who have been out there since they started developing back in the 1990's but not many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area