Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 11:34 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

It will be our first time in Charleston.

We will be staying in downtown at the Dewberry Charleston and will have a car.

Any must see things, must do things or must eat things?

We like exploring cool streets, checking out nice viewpoints, eating at nice restaurants or dirty hole in the walls, etc.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 06:10 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Start by walking over a block to King Street. Look for city guide pamphlets. Go from there. I can’t think of a better way to get your bearings and start planning what to see and do.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:37 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
You will receive all kinds of suggestions on restaurants but I like to use Eater.com to keep up on things:

https://charleston.eater.com/

Old 01-22-2020, 08:16 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
Hey bimmer....welcome to Charleston. I enjoy your posts on the other avenues of C-D.

When are you going to be here ?? These next 2 weeks are what's known as winter around here --by mid-February we should be well into spring.

Just name your favorite food group, and we'll give you several top choices. BBQ ?? there are manyl good joints for pork and brisket. Seafood ?? it's Oyster season, and they taste especially sweet after that first cool snap. The Shrimp Boats stopped running the end of December, but the big restaurants bought a full load -- it'll be almost as good as fresh caught.

The Dewberry is centrally located, I hear they have a nice bar there. Ask your concierge for recommendations, or pick up a fee copy of the City Paper around town....
https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/

Old 01-22-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Start by walking over a block to King Street. Look for city guide pamphlets. Go from there. I can’t think of a better way to get your bearings and start planning what to see and do.

Thank you very much! I will check out out King Street for sure.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
You will receive all kinds of suggestions on restaurants but I like to use Eater.com to keep up on things:

https://charleston.eater.com/

This is perfect, thank you!

Old 01-22-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Hey bimmer....welcome to Charleston. I enjoy your posts on the other avenues of C-D.

When are you going to be here ?? These next 2 weeks are what's known as winter around here --by mid-February we should be well into spring.

Just name your favorite food group, and we'll give you several top choices. BBQ ?? there are manyl good joints for pork and brisket. Seafood ?? it's Oyster season, and they taste especially sweet after that first cool snap. The Shrimp Boats stopped running the end of December, but the big restaurants bought a full load -- it'll be almost as good as fresh caught.

The Dewberry is centrally located, I hear they have a nice bar there. Ask your concierge for recommendations, or pick up a fee copy of the City Paper around town....
https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/

Hey! Thank you! haha

We will be there Feb 3 to Feb 7. I wish we could have gone on a weekend to check out the Saturday Farmers Market.

I have a really wide palette, as long as it's authentic in whatever it is. I actually don't know what Charleston is known for food-wise. Is it BBQ? If so, I'd love to check out some bbq joints. Likewise for seafood and any other cuisines.

Will do, thanks again!

Old 01-22-2020, 03:03 PM

58 posts, read 96,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

I actually don't know what Charleston is known for food-wise.
I'd say Shrimp 'n Grits or She-Crab Soup. Others may say differently.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:20 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBorn View Post
I'd say Shrimp 'n Grits or She-Crab Soup. Others may say differently.
I'd agree with those choices. The argument starts choosing where to go to get them.

Beemer, if you have a Reddit account there is a great visitor's guide there. https://www.reddit.com/r/Charleston/wiki/visit

Last edited by m1a1mg; 01-22-2020 at 07:16 PM..

Old 01-22-2020, 08:01 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
To get some good traditional low country eats, I'd say Magnolia's and Hank's, then a soul food joint or two.I think the best she crab soup I've had was at Amen Street on E. Bay.Lots of people say 82 Queen, its way too thick without a dollop of Dry Sack sherry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area