Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
CARTA has plans to rebuild the train station and it will be quiet nice once the project is done but for now they need to find funding.
Yeah, I understand it will be a combination train station, Carta and bus (Greyhound etc.) station located off of Montaque Ave. and I-26. And very close to the airport.
Way over due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 06:55 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
You can park in the outer area at the airport as it is a little less and it is secure and monitored. Do not park in the covered garages unless you want that costs more. I think $15.00 a day. I hope you find a place close to the Amtrak station in North Charleston. You cannot leave your car at the Amtrak station as you know, because it will likely be broken into. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Is there a shuttle that goes from the airport to the train station?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 AM

171 posts, read 305,285 times
OP, hope your trip was a success and you enjoyed your time in the low-country!
as for the previous comments...jeez people!!, some of you have GOT to get out and see the world a little more. You embarass all of us when you play the role of the typical scared Charlestonians chiming in to tell everyone how absolutely horrible and scary the world North of the peninsula is and how you should watch every move and or run for your life to the most expensive cab you can get back to the burbs. Its hilarious actually
The Chas Amtrack station, albeit very much 'non inspring' to say the least, is certainly NOT dangerous...just very very ugly.
There are always Amtrak personnel there working, if you park there the lot gets locked down after midnight and there is always a cab or 3 out front waiting on arrivals during operational hours.
As for cabs, Yellow Cab is HORRIBLE, not trying to start a discussion on this point, just google the reviews if you dont believe me. You may get lucky with them but 9 out of 10 they are extremely late and way way overpriced by comparison and if you dare to call to check on the status of your late cab you get treated like they are doing you a favor.
North Area taxi is quicker, cheaper, and the drivers are, at least in my experiences, much friendlier.
and to the poster that recommended a black cab, from the train station?!? that's rich my friend.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:45 AM

1 posts, read 755 times
We arrive to chs at around 5am will there be a taxi available at that time?

Old 03-24-2017, 08:10 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Having taken the train only twice from Charleston, I did not see any standing taxis. Amtrak isn't a widely used transportation option in Charleston. The station is old and could easily be a film set for a early eighties movie.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:01 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
You really should call the station itself. Or just setup an Uber to get you. I wouldn't want to be hanging around there for too long.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:43 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottePA View Post
Great Gatsby, man! Don't leave the women and children behind! My suggestion:

1. Call cab company on cell as you approach, using secret code,
2. Walk, nay, RUN off train to cab
3. Get in, slam and lock door and breathlessly yell "DRIVE!"

If you drop something or someone, leave them behind. Oh the horror! It's too late for them.

I actually think the area is still fairly dicey but this post has me laughing out loud. Literally at my desk just after lunch, trying not to draw attention, laughing out loud. We need a meme of Grandpa tripping and shouting "its too late for me, save yourselves!"

Phew!!

And I'll add that I think the station would be relatively attractive with a good scrubbing. A Uber or Lyft to and from a Park and Ride is probably the best parking option.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:16 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,068,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I actually think the area is still fairly dicey but this post has me laughing out loud. Literally at my desk just after lunch, trying not to draw attention, laughing out loud. We need a meme of Grandpa tripping and shouting "its too late for me, save yourselves!"

Phew!!

And I'll add that I think the station would be relatively attractive with a good scrubbing. A Uber or Lyft to and from a Park and Ride is probably the best parking option.

The station is scheduled for a total rebuild this year although the rebuild has been planned for several years. It will become more of a transportation hub versus just a train station.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:29 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post

Phew!!

I wonder what would be waiting for you at this station to warrant this type of precaution....This isn't Lee County.. so there is no Lizard Man....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area