Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:46 AM

85 posts, read 299,400 times

Advertisements

Hello...

I have just pulled an unexpected job switch due to a nice size pay raise I was offered, but I have to relocate from Portland, Me to the Charleston area.(Been dying to get back since I left) I have lived in Charleston priviously about 4 years ago in Mt. Pleasant.

The problem is my wife & I need to find a place & we will be doing it sight unseen. We could just go back to the complex we lived before, but I'd rather not to do that....so....

We have found what appears to be a very nice condo for rent in the Bohicket Marina on Seabrook Isle. The owner is only asking for a refundable deposit, no lease signing until we get there in 3 weeks. They are that confident we will love the place. They sent us tons of photos & the place looks awesome.

Now I am not to fimiliar w/ Seabrook Isle...any information would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know of these condo's or just this area in general?

How about the commute to St. Francis from there. I will be working in a medical building right next to the hospital.

Any & all information that you guys can give me on anything from the general to the specific, I will be extremely thankful for....

Back in Charleston in 3 weeks & loving it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 10:58 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Seabrook is nice. If I'm thinking of the same condo's they're nice as well. Seabrook is pretty far out there though.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Seabrook is nice. If I'm thinking of the same condo's they're nice as well. Seabrook is pretty far out there though.

It looks as if it's about 24 miles from St. Francis...how would traffic be does anyone know?

Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 PM

459 posts, read 1,642,468 times
I'm thinking it's going to take about an hour each way to make that 24 miles.
Unless you work the backshift, which means you will go against the traffic...

Last edited by fqtravlr; 05-29-2008 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: new thought

Old 05-29-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fqtravlr View Post
I'm thinking it's going to take about an hour each way to make that 24 miles.
Unless you work the backshift, which means you will go against the traffic...
Ugh. Not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping for 40 mins maximum.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:05 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
No way will it take an hour...I live out that way and I would say 35-40 minutes at the most! You will not encounter much traffic on Betsy Kerrison/ Bohicket which turns into Main Rd., then you cross Savannah Hwy and turn right on Bees Ferry Rd. to Glenn McConnell Blvd which goes straight to St. Francis Hospital. The traffic on Glenn McConnell gets heavy between 7:30 and 8:00 mostly, but it moves pretty quickly (you won't just be sitting there in traffic). Again, I would say 40 minutes tops.
Not to mention that it is a very pretty, pleasant drive from Seabrook...which is a beautiful gated island with clean beaches, pools, golf, tennis, and horseback riding.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 PM

One other thing I noticed is that the median age on the Island is 62.

The wife & I are in only 33 & 30 respectively. Is this going to be an issue w/ living there??

Good news to hear about the commute...35-40 mins I can take no problem. Its when you hit the 60mins+ I cant take.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:58 PM

14 posts, read 72,472 times
Try Headquarters Island. The stono Marina is close by. (bridge between Johns Island and James Island)

chrisstum

Old 05-30-2008, 07:59 AM

899 posts, read 3,491,355 times
Those condos are fantastic. They are on the 'bay' side of Seabrook & they are outside the gates. Check on whether or not you need to get a social membership to use the facilities. You are about 1/2 mile from a high end grocery store.

The commute is 30 minutes and it's pretty to boot. The median age is there due to retirees & investment properties. There are people your age, but not a ton of them. Personally, I wouldn't care, you're in paradise down by Kiawah.
jim

Old 05-30-2008, 10:23 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,647 times
I think you will be bored to death out there at your young age - I just came from Kiawah with a client in her 40's and although the area is beautiful, and she is an avid golfer, the lack of restaurants and younger people to do stuff with turned her off....she can always drive to golf Kiawah - but living in a more developed area for activities was important to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area