Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:32 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,975 times

Advertisements

Oh I forgot to post my review after our trip.

It was FABULOUS. I will NEVER fly if I can Amtrak. We left about 8 in the morning and got there a little after midnight. It was warm and cozy on the train, we could eat, drink, sleep, watch movies..it was incredible.

It's not a beautiful trip because they take you through the ugliest parts of every single city, but it was truly fun and relaxing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 01:57 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Orange, did yall have a seats or a room?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:48 PM

38 posts, read 115,997 times
I used to take the "silver meteor" all the time from NYC to CHS. I loved it. Both ways it's a red eye. You get on, get comfy. Get some food. Hang out in the club car. Get some booze. Hang in the club car. Pass out. Wake up. Get some breakfast. Then you're there!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 PM

416 posts, read 1,633,361 times
i've considered this cause i don't like to fly. but the cost seems the same as flying, and the sleeper style rooms are very expensive. the cost holds me back. especially when you need to purchase 5 tickets for a family. flying is more economical.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:58 AM

379 posts, read 1,418,995 times
I took the train Amtrak train from Boston to Florida and it was awful...uncomfortable...during the night (while we were sleeping) the train sat on the tracks for hours and of course no one had any information on the set back...at one point the trained cleared out so my husband moved his seat so we could stretch out and I'll quote the conducter, "who told you to move your seat!"

Now I drive...it's fast and I'm in control...no cocktails, though.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:37 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
Are the seats all reclinable and bigger than airplane seats? I'd consider making a short trip just to test it out.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 AM

379 posts, read 1,418,995 times
Mine were not that much more reclinable that an airplane seat. I once took a very long train ride from London to Scotland...that was nice...Amtrak was not...but I see others have enjoyed it

your name is speed addicted...I don't know, it may not be for you...I always felt like the train was moving soooooo slow...it made me restless...I felt like I would have made better time in a horse and buggy...and the scenery is not pleasant.

This would be the other side of NY but pulling in to Penn Station from Boston to NY...it was disgusting!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM

The seats are much bigger, they do recline quite a bit and there is an adjustable foot rest.

I guess it depends on what kind of person you are, really. I'm a go go go always on the move so when I travel I expect to be able to relax. I was having work done on my personal business, I could check in with my contractors and then I unplugged and totally vegged for the rest of the trip.

My boyfriend and I took our dvd player and we snuggled and relaxed all the way up. We played cards, talked, did nothing, ate...I mean it was like being at home. And we traveled in our jammies.

So, it definitely depends on YOU rather than Amtrak me thinks.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:06 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
For Short hauls like NY to Charleston and points in between Amtrak is a good bet.. if you fly to NYC and you are just visiting... you still have to get "downtown". .most of the major cities Baltimore, DC, Philly.. you are downtown when you arrive.. and you can either take a taxi or local transit to get to your destination. The Palmetto that runs between Savannah and NYC is an ideal short haul train.. because you can make the trip in one day and it would be comparable to driving without the hassle. If you are going from NYC to Miami.. the train is probably not best.. to much time/space for something to go wrong/delay. Amtrak is at the mercy of the freight carriers so the longer the trip the more freight you will likely encounter.. the longer the delay. The Palmetto can only encounter difficulty between Savannah and DC.. on the other side of DC the tracks belong to Amtrak.. so there are less delays.. I also avoid taking the train out of Columbia or Camden because of the early departure time... Charleston and Florence offer ideal departure/arrival times to NYC on the Palmetto. Oh yeah for smokers or those who have to get fresh air.. you can usually get off in Rocky Mount, Richmond, and DC (for an extended period of time while the engine is change from diesel to electric) for a little break..which also helps.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Oh yeah for smokers or those who have to get fresh air.. you can usually get off in Rocky Mount, Richmond, and DC (for an extended period of time while the engine is change from diesel to electric) for a little break..which also helps.
This is a great point.

One of the people I was traveling with is a smoker. She was able to get off at least 5 different stops to have a break and a smoke.

So that was wonderful for her and it was nice for us to get off and get some fresh air too. But the breaks are literally a couple of minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area