Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,912 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been married a little over a year and are considering a move to the Charleston, SC area, possibly Summerville. A couple friends of ours just moved there and love it. I am a registered nurse working in critical care and he is a teacher (secondary education - history, civics, etc) & currently live in WV. We are planning to add to our family in the near future. Any suggestions on places to move and school districts? Would jobs for us both be readily available? What is the pay scale for RNs and teachers? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:13 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,017,538 times
It's definitely an area to consider for both of your fields. I don't think you'd have any trouble finding rewarding employment in the area. High quality educators are in high demand, as well as nursing. For school districts, if you're looking at public education, I'd recommend Mt. Pleasant and Summerville.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:55 PM

207 posts, read 1,003,716 times
We live in Summerville and love it here! Its a great place for families (we just had our first child in February.) I also teach and love working in Dorchester 2. Its a strong district with a great amount of support! As pp mentioned, the schools in Mount Pleasant are also good, you will get a good deal of parent support but Charleston Co. schools are not very supportive. The other downside is that houses are a lot more expensive in Mt. P.

Heres the DD2 salary schedule:
Dorchester SD 2 - Salary Schedule
You can find ones for Charleston and Berkely counties on their websites. They aren't too much different (and you'll find that $500 more a year is not worth it if you don't get support from the district.) I don't have any info on RNs but don't think you will have trouble finding a job. Check out Summerville Medical Center. I'm not familiar with nursing field and not sure if critical care is in all hospitals...if not, check into MUSC in Charleston.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:51 AM

9 posts, read 25,720 times
After renting in Mt Pleasant and owning in West Ashely, we needed to upgrade and decided that Summerville was the best option for us and we are very satisfied with our choice. To sum it up, Summerville offers good schools, affordable housing, everything retail you may need (Target, Best Buy, restaraunts,...), and a small-town feel. Downtown Summerville is very small, but the city is putting money into it and I'm hoping for more mom & pop restaraunts, coffee shops, galleries, etc. to open up.

My wife is also and RN and she works in Charleston. There are a couple of medical facilities closer, but she's PRN so driving to Charleston four times a month isn't bad.

The only drawback to Summerville for me is my commute to work... I have about a 30 mile one-way commute.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:58 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,468 times
I wouldn't rule out James Island - if you are in your 20's/30's or so it's a young, active area - VERY close to downtown and Folly Beach. You don't have children YET, and if/when you do it's still not a bad area. You can find a house starting at around $230,000 on up -

Old 08-12-2008, 04:41 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,779 times
I just placed a new doctor in Summerville. He choose 'The Bridges of Summerville' because it put him within 15 minutes of two hospitals. There is also a new hospital opening in Moncks Corner. It also put him in Dorchester 2 school system, which is one of our best.

You should both have no troubles. Have you been here before?
jim

Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 PM

132 posts, read 336,602 times
Default Teacher Cuts?

Are teachers still being hired even though there is a huge budget problem? Aren't there a ton of teachers getting cut and very few if any are getting hired? I want to move to the Charleston area, but I am concerned my job would not be very secure.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 PM

132 posts, read 336,602 times
Are teachers still being hired even though there is a huge budget problem? Aren't there a ton of teachers getting cut and very few if any are getting hired? I want to move to the Charleston area, but I am concerned my job would not be very secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area