Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 AM

403 posts, read 1,189,718 times

Advertisements

California Dreaming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 AM

285 posts, read 836,153 times
I have to ask - what is shrimp and grits!? I know that shrimps are what we Brits call "prawns", but grits seems to be an oatmeal kind of deal - surely they dont go together, so I must be missing something!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 AM

459 posts, read 1,641,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrant View Post
I have to ask - what is shrimp and grits!? I know that shrimps are what we Brits call "prawns", but grits seems to be an oatmeal kind of deal - surely they dont go together, so I must be missing something!
Grits are ground from corn, not oats. When shrimp and grits are prepared, the shrimp is often saute'ed with chopped bacon and onions in a brown sauce (usually to the discretion of the cook) and then are added to the grits.
Grits is a staple in the Southern US. Here it is typically served salted with butter as a side dish to eggs. I have heard rumors that up North it has been served with brown sugar, much like oatmeal... but I can't fathom that concoction. Most people, including my New England -born wife; will say grits are not edible... simply because they have experienced them improperly cooked, and if improperly cooked they will be "Gritty". This is not the case when properly cooked. My wife has become a convert now that she has tasted them as they were intended, and often asks that they be a part of every Saturday and Sunday morning breakfast. Grits became an integral part of the South because it was an inexpensive and filling way to start the day for so many families that could afford little else. It remains a part of the South because it is good old "comfort food".

Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,070 times
a lot of times they're more "tomatoey" than covered with brown gravy. such is the case at snob, the restaurant i suggested above. i think they're much better w/ a tomato broth instead of brown gravy. they also have sausage in them sometimes, onions, etc.. obviously they are infinite ways to prepare them.

sullivan's on sullivan's island serves theirs with a fried grit cake and a cream sauce - delicious!

now i'm hungry!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,679,661 times
That pic doesn't look the grits I eat, they look lumpy. lol Yellow grits are the best. Those are white.

When I think of a romantic dinner it's not shrimp and grits. lol

These yellow grits need a little more water in them.

Last edited by Luvsdabeach; 01-15-2009 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-15-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
California Dreaming
I like CD but I think it's too noisy for a romantic dinner.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 AM

459 posts, read 1,641,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
a lot of times they're more "tomatoey" than covered with brown gravy. such is the case at snob, the restaurant i suggested above. i think they're much better w/ a tomato broth instead of brown gravy. they also have sausage in them sometimes, onions, etc.. obviously they are infinite ways to prepare them.

sullivan's on sullivan's island serves theirs with a fried grit cake and a cream sauce - delicious!

now i'm hungry!
Funny you should bring that up. I went to a gathering last night where the main event was shrimp and grits. This recipe called for sausage and tomato sauce, which was really great. Nice mix of flavors. I was thinking this was more of a creole type dish and could be served just as comfortably over rice as grits.

Nice to try new things and find them delightful.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,070 times
no offense luvsdabeach, but those grits look kinda gross! i've never eaten yellow grits. do they have corn meal in them or something? stone ground grits are kind of lumpy. and shrimp and grits are soooooo good for a nice evening! i could eat them 24-7!

fqtravlr - sounds like a fun party if shrimp and grits were the main event!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 PM

No offense taken.
Yellow grits include the whole kernel, while white grits use hulled kernels.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:33 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Yellow grits...aka. polenta.

Stone ground grits are lumpy? Grits should NEVER be lumpy...nor should they be "gritty" in the mouth. If either of these two conditions exist, then someone hasn't a clue as to the proper preparation of grits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area