Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 4,437 times

Advertisements

Heroes? Broad definition here. I hope they don't teach that in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 930 times
Hello!
I am an elementary ed teacher in a very difficult inner city school in NJ. I am well payed and have excellent benefits. ie. health insurance, pension, etc. However, I have been assaulted by a student who actually fractured a bone! Mind you-this is 4th grade. In any event, I am looking for advice.....
I am thinking of moving somewhere in the southeast and I am debating between NC, SC and Georgia. Any recommendations?
Also, which state is it easier to transfer my license to? Obviously, teaching in NJ and NJ in general is difficult. We have some of the highest expectations and most states follow suit with whatever new thing we are trying-which most of the time doesn't work!
However, I have worked really hard to earn tenure in NJ and the salary I receive. But, I have a 2 hour commute each way to work and I am getting injured and have no support in my district. I don't care about the money. I want somewhere that I can teach and live! I have small children and hate a 2 hour commute. Any recommendations?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
There is a national reciprocity agreement in affect so your certificate should transfer to anyone of them easily enough. The biggest issue is that you will most likely be starting off as a first year teacher again and not as one who has taught for several years...

Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 PM

58 posts, read 86,162 times
I'm looking for a job in SC as we speak.. Have read the schools are lovely. Coming from NY I am eager to go somewhere that does not beat up teachers.....

Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTeacherYa'll View Post
I'm looking for a job in SC as we speak.. Have read the schools are lovely. Coming from NY I am eager to go somewhere that does not beat up teachers.....
"Beat up teachers"? I don't know what part of NY you are from, but in my district on LI, the average teacher's salary is $108,000 for 182 days of work, and we have teachers earning $150,000. My school taxes have soared from $1,600 when we bought our 100+ yr. old house in 1990 to $7,000 this year! Basically, my district is a country club, spending $37,000 per student! As a lifelong NYer, I can tell you many parents are sick and tired of union thug tactics by teachers who don their black union t-shirts and who refuse to work one minute over contract hours if their contracts are being re-negotiated.

OTC mentioned early in this thread that teaching is a calling. It used to be, and maybe in a right to work state like SC it still is. I hope there is a movement underway in SC to opt out of the Common Core Standards.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:21 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Most of us in the private sector work just as hard if not harder and we do not get 12 to 14 weeks off per year.

This is the Teacher's Union in Massachusetts:
-In Massachusetts, a teacher can retire after 23 years of service with full medical and pension paid for by the tax payer. That teacher has to be replaced with another teacher getting full benefits paid by the tax payer who can also retire in his/her mid forties. So, in theory the tax payers of MA could be on the hook for three different people who were or are filling a single position in the system.
-In the City of Boston it accounts for the biggest piece of the budgetary pie and it is destroying us.
-Bad teachers cannot be fired and all teachers regardless of quality get the same raises.
My wife was in management for the Commonwealth of MA. It was not as union position and as a matter of fact she had many conflicts with the union. MA gave their management people everything the union people got plus. They used this to keep management happy. If the union negotiated a pay raise, management got it also as above and beyond there own pay scale.

She retired at 62 with 25 years in the system. They then hired her back at full salary for 3 days a week for one year. Collecting her retirement and her yearly salary on a 1099. That was a good year. She gets a rather nice monthly retirement check including health benefits from MA. Many MA retires refer to this as the Monthly Kiss.

MA recruited her. They made her the offer. They laid it out for her. She accepted it and worked for it. She earned it.

There is no doubt some of these lucrative retirements plans have to be reviewed and modified. That said, one cannot change the rules in the middle of the game.

The Monthly Kiss is electronically received the last day of the month........LOL

Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
That said, one cannot change the rules in the middle of the game.
Why not? If they don't start changing the payouts on these outrageous public pensions, every unionized city is going to look like Detroit!

Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
OTC mentioned early in this thread that teaching is a calling. It used to be, and maybe in a right to work state like SC it still is. I hope there is a movement underway in SC to opt out of the Common Core Standards.
Common Core is a 100% go in CCSD, not sure about other districts but there is a big push for it this year....

Old 07-19-2013, 12:04 PM

58 posts, read 86,162 times
[quote=ObserverNY;30560346]"Beat up teachers"? I don't know what part of NY you are from, but in my district on LI, the average teacher's salary is $108,000 for 182 days of work, and we have teachers earning $150,000. My school taxes have soared from $1,600 when we bought our 100+ yr. old house in 1990 to $7,000 this year! Basically, my district is a country club, spending $37,000 per student! As a lifelong NYer, I can tell you many parents are sick and tired of union thug tactics by teachers who don their black union t-shirts and who refuse to work one minute over contract hours if their contracts are being re-negotiated.

Oh boy.

I am from Long Island as well, And I'm not getting into this debate with a person that does not know all the facts and bases their opinions on what they know.... Or does not care to research the other side of the coin.

What I know is I am a teacher.... I worked very hard and do not make anywhere close to that salary. I would love to see this "average" salary scale that you based your statement on...

I spend countless hours , for ten years, preparing my students for these rigorous tests that the state comes up with..... Only to be informed that the test is not on their grade level.... Do you know what that does to a child? I take classes over the summer and prepare to try to teach 30 different personalities for 182 days, as you stated. I do not take sick days, I take my job as seriously as it is.

I know there are bad eggs out there...district leaders that spend recklessly, but for you sir to include me in that lump is a poor judgement call.

Taxes are high...it sucks. We pay them too.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
What I know is I am a teacher.... I worked very hard and do not make anywhere close to that salary. I would love to see this "average" salary scale that you based your statement on...
Sure thing. Have fun. My district is Locust Valley:

SeeThroughNY :: Payroll-Schools

Quote:
but for you sir to include me in that lump is a poor judgement call.
Uh, it's "m'am", not sir, and I wanted to know what you thought constituted beating up teachers. Typical of the over-paid, entitled teachers here on LI, you immediately became defensive and didn't qualify your statement about being "beaten up".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area