Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:13 AM

870 posts, read 1,987,913 times

Advertisements

So I am buying a house in Goose Creek and closing next week.

I need to choose between Comcast and Knology for Cable/Internet/Phone I'd appreciate suggestions.

I also need living room, bedroom, kitchen and possibly patio furniture. Does anyone know of anyone selling any of this or at least a decent consignment shop?

Anyone know where I can get an inexpensive half roll of carpet (I need to lay 400-500 yard of carpet in the place) and padding for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:27 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,999,297 times
First off...Congrats on the purchase and WELCOME!!

a) Dont think Knology is in Goose Creek, think it's only comcast!

b) Carpet, go to Carpet Wholesaler's, its in North Chs on Rivers Ave. They always sell broken rolls at very good prices.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:28 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
There is a carpet wholesale store on Rivers Ave in N Charleston, they have the best prices on remnants.

I hear Craigslist is the best place for used furniture.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:29 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Pokr, GMTA.....

And I forgot to say Congrats on the first home purchase....

Old 02-06-2009, 10:32 AM

HAHA! I hit submit quicker

Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Thanks I am a healthy mix of anxious, excited and terrified right now

I will call comcast and see what kind of deal they can offer me on all 3 services. I have heard good things about the carpet wholesale place on Rivers so I will go check them out today (luckily a friend who knows how to lay carpet owes me money so I can get the labor out of him).

Does Berkeley Electric co-op require a security deposit?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:43 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,347 times
Congrats on the home! We need more buyers out there right now. I have Knology and they have lousy customer service. I'd try Comcast.

There are a couple of consignment shops in Summerville with nice furniture. One is From my House To Yours off Trolley Road on a little side street called Travelers Blvd. or something like that and the other is Ash & T's on Bacon's Bridge Road.

I've seen lots of furniture at Ash & T's and even though FMHTY has less inventory, their stuff is usually pretty nice. Check it out.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 AM

459 posts, read 1,642,707 times
Congrats on the new place! That's always fun once the money part is over. Agree with Comcast. They are not fantastic, but they are the best option.

Have you considered parque or some othe engineered flooring instead of carpeting? I always had carpeting in every house I lived in previously. When we bought this one, the wife suggested ripping out the carpet. Health-wise, it has been a blessing. My twice-yearly sinus infections have ceased. I mean, I've been plagued by these since early childhood (about 30 years worth of sinus misery), and for the last 4 years they have vanished. Anyway, I just thought I would offer input on some of that useless stuff that will keep you awake as a homeowner! Now you have to decide whether you will throw your financial support behind Home Depot or Lowes...

Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Pines View Post
Congrats on the home! We need more buyers out there right now.
More homebuyers seem to be coming! We get our monthly news letter from Cane-Bay and it stated that they sold 12 NEW homes in Jan, which to them was OK considering the market. They also mentioned that this month (FEB) to date they have already sold 11. wahoo! I was so glad to see that, for what its worth people are still slowly moving to the area

Old 02-06-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fqtravlr View Post
Congrats on the new place! That's always fun once the money part is over. Agree with Comcast. They are not fantastic, but they are the best option.

Have you considered parque or some othe engineered flooring instead of carpeting? I always had carpeting in every house I lived in previously. When we bought this one, the wife suggested ripping out the carpet. Health-wise, it has been a blessing. My twice-yearly sinus infections have ceased. I mean, I've been plagued by these since early childhood (about 30 years worth of sinus misery), and for the last 4 years they have vanished. Anyway, I just thought I would offer input on some of that useless stuff that will keep you awake as a homeowner! Now you have to decide whether you will throw your financial support behind Home Depot or Lowes...
To be honest, I like carpet. I've seen homes that have hardwood everywhere and they just don't look right to me. The problem here is that the current owners have a dog and when I looked at the place after they started to move out it was pretty clear that there was pee in that carpet that was previously covered by furniture and where there's pee there's...well you get the idea

I will eventually need to redo the hardwood in the dining room (it's blistering in a spot or two) but otherwise the house is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area