Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 PM

282 posts, read 808,123 times

Advertisements

Are there any decent areas in Charleston, or in outlying areas, where a family home (4br, 2b) can be had for 175k or under?

Any info that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 06:09 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,437,736 times
I recommend starting your search in the Summerville area. I did a quick look on MLS and found a few in Colony North/Wescott Plantation/Windsor hill/Mckewn to mention a few neighborhoods.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:38 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,619,120 times
Yes. It depends on what your looking for.

What are your requirements as far as schools, commute etc???

Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 AM

282 posts, read 808,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Yes. It depends on what your looking for.

What are your requirements as far as schools, commute etc???
Schools - we want decent schools which are safe. As long as they have an advanced program of some sort, I figure the kids have an option at least.

Commute - I don't mind a commute, really. It would be nice if it could be 30 minutes or under each way, but 45 minutes is doable. I'm from large cities so I'm use to it, somewhat.

The main thing we want is a family friendly area with a house large enough and decent enough that we can stay in it for many years to come. However, we largely live off of one income and so we want it affordable.

Our main requirements are simply a decent home, in a decent community, with good people, low crime, and at least mid-line / upper-mid-line schools.

Thanks for any specific suggestions.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 AM
c99

237 posts, read 1,043,424 times
I don't know about the other areas beachme recommended, but I suggest doing your due diligence before settling on Wescott Plantation, or any other area for that matter.

I've heard that allegedly some homeowners are experiencing health problems due to toxic chemical(s) found, I think, in the soil. Here's one article I found from a couple of years ago: Erin Brockovich Here To Help Westcott Plantation|ABC News 4 (http://www.abcnews4.com/news/stories/0907/459458.html - broken link)

I'd also do a search in the Charleston forum about housing in this area. Similar topics have been discussed what seems like a number of different times.

Another idea is checking crime stats by calling the local police department, checking the third party sites that rate schools, and don't forget to check the sex offender registry to see who your neighbors may be.

Best wishes.
c99

Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,082,642 times
http://www.treasure-coast.us/xSites/Agents/jgjgfyfhbh/Content/UploadedFiles/Wescott%20Homeowner%20Letter%205_5_08.pdf (broken link)

Wescott Plantation

More stuff.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:35 AM
c99

237 posts, read 1,043,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
http://www.treasure-coast.us/xSites/Agents/jgjgfyfhbh/Content/UploadedFiles/Wescott%20Homeowner%20Letter%205_5_08.pdf (broken link)

Wescott Plantation

More stuff.
While that info may be useful, I'd seriously consider the source and potential agenda of the "Dear Homeowner" letter written, presumably by Lennar (the builder of part/all of the neighborhood). Lennar obviously has a lot to lose with bad publicity. I'd take the type of consideration with Realtor opinions as well, especially those with listings in Wescott - they also have a financial stake and most generally, won't offer unbiased information about the situation.

I stand by my original statement of suggesting due diligence research of non-biased third party info (if it exists) before purchasing.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,082,642 times
Oh I know -- but when I tried to find out more about the Erin Brockavich thing -- nothing current comes up. Listen -- I read enough of about that area to know -- not for me.....

Old 03-03-2009, 11:23 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,619,120 times
The whole wescott thing is over hyped IMO. I've yet to see something credible that states otherwise, and we did a bunch of research on it because we looked at 6 or more homes there while we were shopping.

Dorchester District II schools are some of the best in the area so thats one thing to consider. Now before it starts, your going to hear about the wonders of Mount P and how its great and Moses visits them on the weekends and all kinds of other marvelous stories, bottom line is that the average family living on 1 income cannot find a decent place in Mt.P. We chose not to live in Mount P for various reason.

Commute - 20 minutes to where? Do youknow where you will be commuting to?

There are some really run down neighborhoods in all areas of charleston, but there are some good ones too. Crime happenes EVERYWHERE thats a fact. It comes down to what is acceptable to you. Some people in this area think bored teens who are out causing havoc constitues a "gang problem".....not hardly. Get specifics from the Local PD on neighborhoods you might consider. Most will give you good, ACURATE info.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:38 PM

25 posts, read 60,524 times
I live in Wescott Plantation, but my home was not built by Lennar. That being said, Lennar is better than KB any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area