Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 02:26 PM

9 posts, read 35,724 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I recently moved here and have company visiting for a week (July 4-11). They have a 11 yr old son and are on a tight budget. What are some affordable things to do here? The stuff I know about are:

Beach
Riverdogs baseball game
Whirling Water Adventure Waterpark

Anyone have any other ideas?

I've never been to the Whirling Water Adventure Waterpark. Is it worth going to? too crowded? in a safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 07:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
There are actually two water parks, One in N. Charleston and the other at the James Island county park.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:24 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
Not many of the activities and attractions in Chas. are cheap/inexpensive, I'm afraid. The beach is free! Some of the other things I take cousins, nephews, and grandson to see/do are:

Charlestowne Landing, Patriot's Point, Frankie's Fun Park (just leave your wallet with them...fun/kids love it, but EXPENSIVE), Ft. Sumter on Spirit of Charleston, Aquarium, Old Exchange Bldg./Provost Dungeon (animated pirates in dungeon), horse and carriage tour, Thriller (speed boat ride to Morris Island), Middleton Place Plantation (has working craftspeople in the stableyard and live farm animals, lots of hiking trails), Cypress Gardens in Moncks Corner (kayaking, alligator island, glass bottom boats, butterfly house, etc.), paddle boats & kayaks & water park & bike rentals at James Island County Park.....I could go on and on. There is A LOT for kids to do in this area, but plan on spending at least $10 for each child to get in each place...and around $15 for adults.

Have fun and enjoy your visit!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Walk the Ravenel Bridge...kids love it at the top!

Free!

Old 07-06-2009, 05:45 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
There is also the new Waterfront Park at Mt. Pleasant. The water taxi, not sure what the cost is but they might enjoy that. Also, the fountain at Waterfront Park in downtown, that is free and will keep the kids busy and wear them out ! LOL

I highly recommend the Thriller Boat ride, well worth the money.

There isn't a lot to do there that I know of that is free or that inexpensive. But, there is a lot of fun to be had at the beach for sure !

Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 AM

269 posts, read 944,495 times
There are actually 3 water parks, one in North Charleston, one on James Island and one in Palmetto Island Park in Mount Pleasant. The one in Mount Pleasant is $6.99 per person $5.99 for residents.

Palmetto Island Park itself has a TON to do, they just built a huge new playground which is perfect for an 11 year old, lots of centrifical force equipment. There is also the observation tower which rises 50 feet above the salt marshes. There are a bunch of walking trails too, including one to "Nature Island" which is a separate island in the marshes that has a map guided nature trail. The park is $1 per person.

There is Alhambra Hall and its adjoining playground - FREE!! Plus the views are amazing.

Farmers Market in Charleston on Saturdays - FREE!!

Firemans Museum in North Charleston, really cool, lots of old Fire Trucks and equipment - Adults are $6, children under 13 are FREE!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area