Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:04 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times

Advertisements

Like they say in Vermont, "DONT JERSEY VERMONT" so why dont we have that same signs on our roads and bumpersticker??

DONT JERSEY South Carolina!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 06:50 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,879 times
Oh god.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:21 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Like they say in Vermont, "DONT JERSEY VERMONT" so why dont we have that same signs on our roads and bumpersticker??

Yeah, go ahead & do that so transplants AND locals can laugh at you.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:04 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post

Too late. Every time I get a whiff of the paper mill I automatically think Elizabeth, NJ.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:24 PM

14 posts, read 28,232 times
I have to say, after reading this entire thread, that Charleston is simply a beautiful city. I truly hope that it never becomes anything like New Jersey or Ohio. I'm not too worried though, as it seems both natives and transplants alike value the culture and history there.

I've been to Charleston four times in the last two years. As I have a college student budget and live 1,000 miles away is quite impressive. =] The moment I walked the streets of downtown I fell in love with your town. I hope that after I graduate from college in a couple years, I can move down there. I'm from [& currently residing in] Northern Michigan. It's small and cold. The people are super rude and spend 98% of the time complaining about tourists. Despite the fact that our local economy relies heavily on it. I've lived in Charlotte, NC and loved it. Way nicer than Michigan, in my opinion.

There's something about Charleston though. I'm a history major so the fact that there's so much and it's so cherished is awesome for me. Everyone I've met there, native & transplant alike, has been really nice. It really makes me feel at home, more so than anywhere else I've ever been.

Plus, there's no snow! Man, I hate snow, cold, and winter. It's awful!

Old 05-24-2009, 03:03 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmanda83 View Post
I have to say, after reading this entire thread, that Charleston is simply a beautiful city. I truly hope that it never becomes anything like New Jersey or Ohio. I'm not too worried though, as it seems both natives and transplants alike value the culture and history there.

I've been to Charleston four times in the last two years. As I have a college student budget and live 1,000 miles away is quite impressive. =] The moment I walked the streets of downtown I fell in love with your town. I hope that after I graduate from college in a couple years, I can move down there. I'm from [& currently residing in] Northern Michigan. It's small and cold. The people are super rude and spend 98% of the time complaining about tourists. Despite the fact that our local economy relies heavily on it. I've lived in Charlotte, NC and loved it. Way nicer than Michigan, in my opinion.

There's something about Charleston though. I'm a history major so the fact that there's so much and it's so cherished is awesome for me. Everyone I've met there, native & transplant alike, has been really nice. It really makes me feel at home, more so than anywhere else I've ever been.

Plus, there's no snow! Man, I hate snow, cold, and winter. It's awful!

Very nice, positive post! What part of Northern Michigan? Anywhere near Marquette?

Old 05-24-2009, 06:03 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times
Default just came across this post

Just came across this post and read it very intently.
I have corresponded with many of you through my own post and glad to see all the comments back to this posting from you and all others.

We are truly seeking to relocate to the Charleston area in about 6 months. Need time to get everything in order up here.. Currently speaking to various companies about employment. Employment must be secured prior to moving of course. Ready to take a drive down in June or July to scout around the area as well as job interviews.

Opps got off track, sorry.

Back to this posting and the replies........

We plan to move from NYC and leave NYC wayyyyyyyy behind. We know and want to adapt to ways down there... we are already polite, relaxed and simply want to enjoy our surroundings and live a full Life with our new (7months old) baby son. Not looking to bring NYC with us, nor expect NYC in the move. My parents came to the US on a boat from Europe and wanted to and did adapt. Never losing where they came from, but wanted to adapt to their new home and surroundings and friends. Went to night school to learn english and became US citizens after 5 years and lived a very good life here in NYC.

Sorry.. getting off track again....

I certainly hope Charleston as well as other areas do not become a NJ/NY of the south (I lived in NJ as well, so can comment).

One poster, please excuse I forgot your handle stated, Charleston above other cities have maintained its roots, its charm. I deeply loved reading this. This is the reason we want to move there.

People I hope for the most part, want to fit in.
But unfortunately I have heard some 'horror' stories about Northerners. Colleagues down there who I am starting to speak with, tell me they address someone saying Yes Sir.. the reaction of the Northerner is... "skip the yes sir and take care of me"... I shriek at this and apologize for those few.

As a friend of mine said... you can move, but your troubles/problems move with you (please leave them home, or stay home

re: Civil War
Yes the Civil War is over... Northerners some how think it is on the mind of every Southerner. As someone pointed out in this post, the Civil War is just spoke of, images of it, are more so in the South... that is all.

re: cookie cutter developments
Yes builders have thrown up homes, neighborhoods, developments.. so many went up in the recent real estate boom market, in the Charleston area, Florida, N.C. and all over other 'booming' areas cookie cutter developments. Now it has to wean itself out... and learn a lesson from it, hopefully. Many builders built because no one was buying the land.. so the erection of homes 'might' fetch a buyer to recoup money spent.

re: moving to a new area
When we move, we will be guests in SC and Charleston and will treat it as such. After a certain amount of time, we will become residents and no longer be New Yorkers just living there. It takes more than a SC license plate

These comments are coming from a guy born and bred in Brooklyn, brought up on the streets, street savy, street smart.. who simply wants better for his young son and anymore youngin's to follow. A backyard with grass, neighborhood parks to play in, a safe and wholesome neighborhood and lovely life for us and our neighbors around us.

Thanks for your time reading this.

If you wish, please take a moment and go to my own posting and feel free to comment there.

Michael
Another Yankee (Brooklyn, NY) moving South to Charleston, with some questions

Old 05-24-2009, 06:11 PM

61 posts, read 79,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Forgive me, but damn I'm tired of hearing that comment. My response had absolutely nothing to do with the civil war.
Just tell them what is often said about Japan, "We lost the war but won the peace".

Old 05-24-2009, 06:43 PM

14 posts, read 28,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Very nice, positive post! What part of Northern Michigan? Anywhere near Marquette?
Thanks!

I'm about three hours east of Marquette, in Sault Ste. Marie.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:03 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
Just came across this post and read it very intently.
I have corresponded with many of you through my own post and glad to see all the comments back to this posting from you and all others.

We are truly seeking to relocate to the Charleston area in about 6 months. Need time to get everything in order up here.. Currently speaking to various companies about employment. Employment must be secured prior to moving of course. Ready to take a drive down in June or July to scout around the area as well as job interviews.

Opps got off track, sorry.

Back to this posting and the replies........

We plan to move from NYC and leave NYC wayyyyyyyy behind. We know and want to adapt to ways down there... we are already polite, relaxed and simply want to enjoy our surroundings and live a full Life with our new (7months old) baby son. Not looking to bring NYC with us, nor expect NYC in the move. My parents came to the US on a boat from Europe and wanted to and did adapt. Never losing where they came from, but wanted to adapt to their new home and surroundings and friends. Went to night school to learn english and became US citizens after 5 years and lived a very good life here in NYC.

Sorry.. getting off track again....

I certainly hope Charleston as well as other areas do not become a NJ/NY of the south (I lived in NJ as well, so can comment).

One poster, please excuse I forgot your handle stated, Charleston above other cities have maintained its roots, its charm. I deeply loved reading this. This is the reason we want to move there.

People I hope for the most part, want to fit in.
But unfortunately I have heard some 'horror' stories about Northerners. Colleagues down there who I am starting to speak with, tell me they address someone saying Yes Sir.. the reaction of the Northerner is... "skip the yes sir and take care of me"... I shriek at this and apologize for those few.

As a friend of mine said... you can move, but your troubles/problems move with you (please leave them home, or stay home

re: Civil War
Yes the Civil War is over... Northerners some how think it is on the mind of every Southerner. As someone pointed out in this post, the Civil War is just spoke of, images of it, are more so in the South... that is all.

re: cookie cutter developments
Yes builders have thrown up homes, neighborhoods, developments.. so many went up in the recent real estate boom market, in the Charleston area, Florida, N.C. and all over other 'booming' areas cookie cutter developments. Now it has to wean itself out... and learn a lesson from it, hopefully. Many builders built because no one was buying the land.. so the erection of homes 'might' fetch a buyer to recoup money spent.

re: moving to a new area
When we move, we will be guests in SC and Charleston and will treat it as such. After a certain amount of time, we will become residents and no longer be New Yorkers just living there. It takes more than a SC license plate

These comments are coming from a guy born and bred in Brooklyn, brought up on the streets, street savy, street smart.. who simply wants better for his young son and anymore youngin's to follow. A backyard with grass, neighborhood parks to play in, a safe and wholesome neighborhood and lovely life for us and our neighbors around us.

Thanks for your time reading this.

If you wish, please take a moment and go to my own posting and feel free to comment there.

Michael
Another Yankee (Brooklyn, NY) moving South to Charleston, with some questions

Another positive, heartfelt post! You are looking for a better place to raise your children and everyone can identify with that. I came here 25 years ago and haven't looked back. It has been a wonderful place to raise my son and I feel he had so many opportunities here than he would have in OH. We came back to our roots here and I am so glad we did. Our family tree came full circle.

I wish you and your family a safe trip and smooth move. I hope you find all the wonderful people and places in Charleston that I did - all of which made me decide to stay permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area