Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:24 PM

10 posts, read 73,446 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are considering relocating to Charleston, SC, I may accept a job that is located in North Charleston and I am curious as to the where we should reside. Can anyone give us any insight into living arrangements (primarily apartments or townhomes), school system, crime, and activities? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 06:29 PM

82 posts, read 391,458 times
We just got back from a "getting to know the area" trip (planning on moving next year to Summerville).

Just my opinion...while there are some nice developments in North Charleston, I would avoid living in the city itself. We stayed in No.Charleston on our trip and had no problems, but we were at a large, national hotel chain. Lots of abject poverty in North Charleston; acc. to ShotSpotter, in 2003, No.Charleston was the 12th most violent city in the COUNTRY!

Lots of nice areas around there...(Downtown Charleston, the barrier islands, Summerville, etc...)

Good Luck!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:56 PM

356 posts, read 1,268,694 times
From my research the place to be is Summerville and if you can afford it Mount Pleasant. North Charleston is "said" to have more crime. Some of summerville is in the Dorchester II school district which is supposed to be the best in that area.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 19,362 times
Mt plesant , James Island , Daniel Island , summerville , Goose Creek would be your best choices .North Charleston has some nice areas but overall it is not a great place to live.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 PM

10 posts, read 73,446 times
Thanks for the information, we were looking in the Summerville and Hanahan areas. We prefer serenity as opposed to chaos (at least at home), would any of you say these areas fulfilled that criteria? Thanks.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:25 AM

86 posts, read 611,152 times
Summerville is more serene than hanahan. IMO

Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 PM

291 posts, read 1,781,628 times
I really like Summerville. North Charleston defintely has some scary areas. Moncks Corner I feel will be an up and coming area too.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:42 PM

21 posts, read 75,823 times
N. Charleston has a much higher crime rate than the surrounding areas. Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, the West Ashley and James Island areas of Charleston, and Goose Creek are all better bets. Hanahan has some nice areas but they are right next to N. Chuck and sometimes get the over-run.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:43 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,288 times
West Ashley, Johns Island, James Island, Summerville all have nice apartments and townhomes and are safe communities to live in...for the most part. Once you narrow down your search to a particular town, ask again about areas in that town. As always, there are safe parts of town and not-so-safe parts of any town. Mt. Pleasant, Daniel Island, Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island, Kiawah and Seabrook Islands are all very expensive. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:34 PM

42 posts, read 151,856 times
Default Charleston Rental Agencies

Try a Google search on "Joan Craig and Associates" on Ashley River Road or "Just Rentals" on St. Andrews Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area