Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:34 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
I say we have a fight to the death for the naming rights!
My DJ! This cold weather has you fiesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:35 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
Puts a spring in my step.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:50 PM

209 posts, read 534,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryFCarson View Post
Couple different options - Summerville area, just off I-26 at exit 199 - Country Inn Suites - very nice newer facility with interior corridors, continental breakfast, small outside pool. Lots of shopping and inexpensive restaurants 1-2 minutes away.
I stayed here for a week with my family when we came for a househunting trip in November. Ugh. It wasn't horrible for the price (~$109 + tax) for a suite, but it was less than stellar. Pretty dirty, actually. My white socks were filthy black each day, there was dried food on the walls, and there was black mold growing out of the air vent. The smoke detector was hanging by a wire with the battery pulled from it (couldn't put the battery back in since then it just sounded the alarm all the time, and you couldn't get it to screw back onto the base). Breakfast was fine, but was exactly the same each day. I would NOT recommend this hotel to others, and will turn down the corporate "guidance" on where to stay in the future.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:34 AM

81 posts, read 125,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Hey I have had this name since before Tom Cruise did that movie also.....

But welcome to the scratchin post.....

I live in Summerville, it is a lot different down here than it is up there in the Adirondacks.

First, no snow, in the twenty years I have been here I have seen snow in Charleston twice, once was about 6 inches that hung around for a week, the whole entire city was shutdown....

Second, it is flat here no mountains, the nearest hills are about two hours west and the nearest mountains are another two hours past that....

Third, it is a lot cheaper to live here....

The wife and I are in our mid 40s so we have some of the same interests...

My wife is also a school teacher...
Thanks, and hopefully no offense for the similarities in our handles!
Regarding the cost of living being cheaper, how do wages compare? From what we've seen so far in comments on this site, teachers are paid less and work more than they do her in upstate New York. I've been in the newspaper industry for years, now in a managerial position and actually am transitioning into Human Resources. Truth be told, I'd have no objection to working on a golf course during the day and bartending at a nice at night - probably make as much with much less stress. Any insight into the work environment would be appreciated.

Again, both of us really enjoy the postings on this site - really helpful getting a feel for things.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,999,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMedic View Post
As a Patriots fan I can say " Ha Ha Eli. Guess that super bowl was a freak of nature after all"

NAH! BeliCheat just couldn't spy that week ... BUT... That certainly was ONE GIANT loss, eh??

Ok, I'm done

Old 12-30-2009, 08:23 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Here is the teacher pay scale....

http://www.ccsdschools.com/Employment/Teachers/Salary_Schedule/documents/TeachSalFY09.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the pay scale, I've passed it along to my wife.

As for BostonMedic, still can't get over that ALMOST perfect season, huh?! My in-laws are Patsie-lovers, too - man, it sure gets tiring hearing how bleeping wonderful they are.... I'm afraid they're one-and-done this year.

And how 'bout those Yankees?!?!?!?!?!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:44 AM

296 posts, read 528,634 times
Oh no you didnt.......Hey I forgot what happened in 2004?Didnt a team loose 4 straight ? Funny how people forget that stuff.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Oh no you didnt.......Hey I forgot what happened in 2004?Didnt a team loose 4 straight ? Funny how people forget that stuff.
I'll never forget that year! What a horrible meltdown - almost as bad as this year's Giants!
Hey, how's the weather there today? Was 5 below zero here this morning...

Old 12-30-2009, 10:23 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,999,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York TomKat View Post
I'll never forget that year! What a horrible meltdown - almost as bad as this year's Giants!
Hey, how's the weather there today? Was 5 below zero here this morning...
Weather is in the low 50's. Tad bit warmer than you ... And YES, God Bless the Yankees!! Had to hear flack when Boston was 8-0 against us...

Quote:
It was a painful memory UNTIL The Giant win in 07, seemingly that put an end to the 2004 season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area