Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 04:26 PM

11 posts, read 22,964 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm looking to relocate to Charleston from NY at the end of the year to persue a new career path by getting a college degree at Trident Tech. I'm hoping all goes well and I'm accepted into the program I've chosen but it looks like the school is located in North Charleston and that's not the best area to live in. I'm young, I don't mind commuting some to school and I'd like to be in a good lively neighborhood where I can safely walk my puppy and meet other people near my age as well. I'd like to be near restaurants, shops, etc but not be too much in a city because I want to be able to have a backyard or some sort of outdoor space for my dog.

Can someone recommend some neighborhoods for my to check out? I'd be renting but I'm not even sure where to start looking. I'm from a very safe suburban part of NY so I don't want to have to worry about safety is another state either..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 06:02 PM

193 posts, read 394,437 times
My first thought for your age/interests may be James Island. I live in the Summerville area and as much as I like it, it's not for the 20-something singles crowd. Neither would Mt Pleasant (pricey and not for singles either). James Island would give you beach access but can still be cost-effective. Only problem would be you would have a little commute. There's a huge dog park on James Island which rocks, and there's tons to see there (restaurants, shopping, etc.)
You may also want to consider Park Circle if you want a shorter commute. It's an up and coming area that from what I understand, may also be appealing for someone like you. Definitely a less commute and more of a local flavor as far as restaurants and weekend fun.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
Yep, I'd look into Park Circle as well as neighborhoods in Hanahan, i.e. Tanner Plantation. You should be able to find plenty of rentals available in either, and they'd keep you fairly close to school. Either would put you around 15-20 minutes to full-scale shopping in Mount Pleasant. You could also look for rentals in the Mount Pleasant area around the 526 interchange, which would give you all of the above, but come at a higher rental amount most likely.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Third person in favor of Park Circle. But I will give tha caveat that 'up and coming' means just that if you are too used to a sanitized environment. But it has a nice central park, a couple of side parks and restaurants along that main street type area. I like it better then the Hampton Park area in regard to having nearby businesses. It also is a pretty atraight shot to the beaches on 526 or downtown (about 15 min away form each without traffic.)

I actually lived in Mt Pleasant through much of my twenties and found it had a pretty nice scene for young people. But it has the highest rents outside of downtown and the beaches.

The other thing you could do is search out a 6 month lease and then move to the area where more of your new friends/classmates live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area