Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:37 PM

14 posts, read 38,307 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Charleston area at the end of next month for a job.

I have been looking at rentals and it seems that North Charleston will be all that I can afford. I need a 2+ bedroom, 1+ bath with a small fenced yard for my dog.

I live in the Dayton area, which I'm told is known as a rough town. In my current neighborhood, I don't go out without my hubby after dark. There are definitely some crack houses in this neighborhood. BUT, I don't worry about getting my car broken into or my house robbed. I guess it's always in the realm of possibility, though.

Is North Charleston like the current neighborhood I am describing or much worse?

Thanks for the help. And, could you tell me how much a pack of smokes is in SC? Still trying to get the hubby to quit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 01:14 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,999,297 times
Not to be redundant here, but there's a ton of threads with this same conversation. I'd search them, otherwise, this like all the others will inevitably lead to an arguement

Cigs right now are $4.25/pk but I heard that they passed the extra .50c tax on them.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:34 PM

That's too bad if my post will start an argument. I have searched other posts, but all I can find are people saying that N. Charleston is a bad area, crime is higher. Does that mean that my house or car will get broken into? Or maybe that a woman shouldn't go out alone after dark? Just wondering. Not trying to start arguments with and between strangers.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:48 PM

41 posts, read 118,243 times
I'm dodging gunfire as I type this. If I suddenly break off in mid sentence, my laptop has been stol

Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,999,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLife311 View Post
That's too bad if my post will start an argument. I have searched other posts, but all I can find are people saying that N. Charleston is a bad area, crime is higher. Does that mean that my house or car will get broken into? Or maybe that a woman shouldn't go out alone after dark? Just wondering. Not trying to start arguments with and between strangers.
Honestly there's parts of NCHS I wouldn't walk @ night. With that said, there's parts of W Ashley, Summerville, GC, Charleston, MTP that I wouldn't walk the streets @ night, alone. I think there's some real nice areas in NCHS, then there's some....Well....Yeah, I'll let it go

Figure out an area that you're considering, we'll all be honest w/ ya

Old 05-13-2010, 02:16 PM

41 posts, read 118,243 times
My fiance' and I are actually looking for places in Park Circle. I'll be adding what I get at the pawn shop for this laptop I just scored from that Beardy guy to our down payment.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:19 PM

Well, from these posts, my plan is to draw no conclusions until I visit the area myself in a few weeks. If it's so bad, I'll surely be able to tell from visiting. Most murders are committed by people who know each other and if all else fails, I have insurance.

Thanks for the posts. I always like to laugh.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:43 PM

48 posts, read 94,544 times
I just moved to an area of North Charleston that is pretty nice. I moved to the area of North Charleston along Dorchester rd right where the Charleston and Dorchester counties meet. Near the intersection of Ashley Phosphate and Dorchester Rd. It is definately a nice area with nothing I would worry about. But we are a gated community with a strict access policy in our neighborhood. But the area itself is nice. As you drive closer to Charleston along Dorchester Rd. it does get a little shady though. Try to get as close to Summerville as possible while still being in N. Charleston, and it tends to be nice yet cheaper. And part of North Charleston is in the decent Dorchester school district.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:13 AM

14 posts, read 36,224 times
Please do check out the Park Circle area. I live in Oak Terrace Preserve, which is a new green development that has won awards for the City of North Charleston. It's in the Park Circle area, but doesn't have rentals. The Olde Village in Park Circle is an up and coming area.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:15 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
North Charleston has some areas that are very bad and some where you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area