Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Recent graduate of West Virginia University, relocating to Charleston, South Carolina, nightlife, bars, cost of living, safe neighborhoods, thriving job market, consideration of Columbia and Greenville

Old 07-03-2007, 11:47 AM

53 posts, read 229,845 times

Advertisements

Hi, I found this forum yesterday and spent a lot of time reading up on Charleston. I'm hoping I can get some advice here because I'd like to move by early September and it's time to start getting serious about my search.

A little bit about me and the areas I'm considering moving to:
I just graduated from West Virginia University in May with a degree in Spanish. I'm 21 years old, very sociable, love going out, and want to move to a southern city to escape cold weather and meet new people.

That being said, I don't really know too much about Charleston, except whenever I mention I'm considering moving there, I hear the same thing: "It's so beautiful!". I'd like to move to a city with a lot of young people, recent grads or mid-20s, I'm hoping someone can tell me the areas/apartment complexes that seem to have that. I'm also looking for a place where rent is not ridiculously high: I'd be willing to individually pay up to $500 or $600 a month. I'm also concerned about safety.. being a female, I don't want to run the high risk of moving into a dangerous or questionable neighborhood!

What is the nightlife like in Charleston? I have a friend my age living there this summer and he's had nothing but good things to say. I'm not a dive-bar kind of girl, I'm more into clubs or a crowded bar scene.

As for the workforce, I really haven't heard much about the job market, which of course is my main concern. My degree is in Spanish and although my dream job wouldn't have me speaking Spanish all day long, I'd like it to be more of an advantage in the hiring process. I'm currently a recruiter for a large men's clothing company's corporate headquarters, so I'm very personable and enjoy working with people. I don't want to move without having a job lined up, so I've been searching the past few weeks on Monster and CareerBuilder, but it doesn't seem like Charleston has a thriving job market. Any information is much appreciated!

Lastly, I'm also considering possible relocation to Columbia and Greenville, SC. I also have a strong interest in Charlotte NC, and Atlanta and Nashville are 2 other areas I'd be willing to consider. Based on what I mentioned in this post, does anyone think those areas might better suit me?

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 09:42 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Charleston definitely has a lot of young people and recent grads, and the nightlife is pretty darn good.

In terms of the local economy, it's pretty robust at the moment. It just depends on what field you want to go into. Healthcare, biotech, and certain sectors of high-end manufacturing are big in Charleston.

Your other options are worth exploring as well.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:38 AM

153 posts, read 769,570 times
Banking and law is also big in my hometown...it seems that there are never enough, and more banks and law firms continue to locate there. With your Spanish background, the port industry would love to have your bilingual skills. Charleston's port is the 2nd largest on the East Coast, with further expansion being done. The economy in Chas is by far looking better and better, and although tourism is still one of the top industries, it is no longer the sole most important one.

Finding rents of $600 a month in a decent apartment will be somewhat difficult. I would suggest looking into apartments in the West Ashley, James Island, and Johns Island sections of the city as well as the north area. Unfortunately, some apartments have been converted into condos, so I can't name any complexes and feel confident in my answers!

As Akhenaton said, dining, entertainment, and nightlife are in large supply in Chas. While there are some bars you want to avoid, there are upscale bars, clubs, and cafes...the city is rated very highly for singles.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:11 PM

53 posts, read 229,845 times
Thank you for your replies! I knew Charleston was more pricey compared to other areas I was considering, but I was surprised to learn that $600 a month for rent (or $1200 in a 2 bedroom, which is what I'd be interested in) was hard to come by in a decent apartment!

Hopefully I'll be able to get down there this summer before my friend moves back.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:22 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
You could find something really nice in that range on James Island which is about a 5 minute drive into town. If you're looking downtown, you may be able to find something like a carriage house for rent behind a bigger home. That can be a good option. I did that for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area