Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:42 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times

Advertisements

I think its a great asset to our city, but there is a lot better location for it in Cross Lanes next to the casion. If it were there, it would be closer to the interstate, and would attract more people just traveling through. Where it is, it takes a special trip off of the interstate to get to it.

But again I'm glad its in city limits!

they will have to figure out a better traffic flow for the shopping plaza though, because the store will be located on a 2 lane road that is above the main shopping area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,040,332 times
Having it within the city limits will be major in terms of protecting the local tax base. We'll have to wait and see the effects it has on other areas of the town, but I just don't see how that aspect of it will be positive.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Having it within the city limits will be major in terms of protecting the local tax base. We'll have to wait and see the effects it has on other areas of the town, but I just don't see how that aspect of it will be positive.
When Southridge was built it sucked the life out of the mall and downtown, but over the years both had recovered and attracted new kinds of shopping and dining. I douubt there will be any major developments happening up there because the area already has almost everything. If anything, maybe we can see some different things come up there, like maybe an IKEA or a couple eateries.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,181 times
Default You are forgetting the 119 traffic coming north

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I think its a great asset to our city, but there is a lot better location for it in Cross Lanes next to the casion. If it were there, it would be closer to the interstate, and would attract more people just traveling through. Where it is, it takes a special trip off of the interstate to get to it.

But again I'm glad its in city limits!

they will have to figure out a better traffic flow for the shopping plaza though, because the store will be located on a 2 lane road that is above the main shopping area.

I think you are forgetting that traffic will be coming north on 119. Outdoor sports are prevalent south of Kanawha County and will bring the people north solely to visit this store. JMHO

Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
I think you are forgetting that traffic will be coming north on 119. Outdoor sports are prevalent south of Kanawha County and will bring the people north solely to visit this store. JMHO
I think you are right, but it will also draw from sportsmen to the west and north... KY, OH, and up to Parkersburg, as well as to the East (rural Kanawha, Fayette, etc.). If it spurs additional retail in that location (like it did in abundance in Wheeling) that additional stuff will be a big draw as well and since it will be newer (and presumably nicer) than the competition it will draw from existing facilities in Charleston and Barboursville. Since the downtown Charleston mall is already somewhat distressed, it could spell significant trouble for them. You can just bet store owners in that location are already re-evaluating their positions in view of this announcement.

A Cabela store is quite a facility. I wish they'd put one anywhere in NCWV (which would also be a natural).

Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,181 times
I don't see this hurting the mall any more than it has already been hurt. Nothing at the mall carries many of the items Cabela's will specialize.

I have to travel by Southridge to get to my family for visits and I detest the extra traffic from the north, east, or west.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:04 AM

The mall is actually doing really well right now! Panera Bread, TeaCo, and several new clothing stores are all new, and making it great. There is always a couple thousand shoppers every time I'm in there.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
I don't see this hurting the mall any more than it has already been hurt. Nothing at the mall carries many of the items Cabela's will specialize.

I have to travel by Southridge to get to my family for visits and I detest the extra traffic from the north, east, or west.
It's not just the sporting goods. It's the other stuff a Cabelas would bring along with it. Look at the link for The Highlands I posted earlier in this thread. That was all a result of the Wheeling Cabelas.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Hopefully IKEA will be next!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM

Look at the map on the Cabela's website! We could reach the whole South East!!!

Cabela's: Retail Stores

Of Course that area has alot of Bass Pro, but some people would perfer Cabela's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston