Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 05:27 AM

56 posts, read 66,305 times

Advertisements

The new HH looks impressive! I have a feeling it will steal some of the students away from Capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 09:22 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaysValleyWV View Post
The new HH looks impressive! I have a feeling it will steal some of the students away from Capital.
In recent years, Hoover has been slowly chipping away at kids that would have traditionally went to Capital. Back when I was in school, there was a large percentage of kids that lived in Elkview/Pinch/Big Chimney/etc... that went to Capital because Hoover's academics weren't very good. Now, Hoover has been consistently the second best public school in Kanawha County (behind GW) for going on 10 years. Those kids that were going to Capital are staying in the Elk Valley, which has only increased the prestige of the school.

That's even factoring in that the school has been meeting in portables for 6 years!!!

When the new building is finished, I imagine that the enrollment will jump significantly! Kids from Sissonville will also come in droves. The facilities alone will attract athletes. Hoover's sports have been on the rise, matching their academics.

Old 04-20-2023, 08:04 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
In recent years, Hoover has been slowly chipping away at kids that would have traditionally went to Capital. Back when I was in school, there was a large percentage of kids that lived in Elkview/Pinch/Big Chimney/etc... that went to Capital because Hoover's academics weren't very good. Now, Hoover has been consistently the second best public school in Kanawha County (behind GW) for going on 10 years. Those kids that were going to Capital are staying in the Elk Valley, which has only increased the prestige of the school.

That's even factoring in that the school has been meeting in portables for 6 years!!!

When the new building is finished, I imagine that the enrollment will jump significantly! Kids from Sissonville will also come in droves. The facilities alone will attract athletes. Hoover's sports have been on the rise, matching their academics.
The BOE may have to crack down on HH accepting out-of-district students the way they did on GW several years back.

Old 04-20-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
The BOE may have to crack down on HH accepting out-of-district students the way they did on GW several years back.
Possibly. It's going to be interesting to see how the school does once it opens up. It's been great seeing it have so much success. When I was a student there, it was the laughing stock of the county.

Old 04-24-2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Possibly. It's going to be interesting to see how the school does once it opens up. It's been great seeing it have so much success. When I was a student there, it was the laughing stock of the county.
Interesting topic. Hoover has definitely been on the rise over the past decade, despite the major hurdles like Chris mentioned, which is nothing short of amazing. I have a friend that has been involved in the building project, and he says the school was built so that it could add a few hundred students over the current enrollment, which is expected to happen over the next 5-10 years.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:58 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Especially when you factor in the dynamics at Capital have been going downhill since I was there (back in the dark ages of the late 90s-2000). We had a lot of kids coming from the Hoover district- especially Pinch and Big Chimney. I agree with Chris that this will likely steal some students from Sissonville as well.

Old 07-24-2023, 05:08 AM

They're still working on the building, but hopefully it will be ready for the start of the school year.

https://www.wowktv.com/a-closer-look...fall-semester/

Old 08-16-2023, 03:50 AM

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/v...3a2fcb772.html

The school is pretty much complete. Only some landscaping to do in the front. I’m very excited for the students and teachers who will get to use this facility this year. They certainly deserve it!

Old 08-16-2023, 06:04 AM

Quote:
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/v...3a2fcb772.html

The school is pretty much complete. Only some landscaping to do in the front. I’m very excited for the students and teachers who will get to use this facility this year. They certainly deserve it!
Can't wait to see it. HH has some great leadership, i am impressed with their principal, AD, and they have hired some great coaches. Brett Rector is one of my acquaintances, he will do an amazing job leading the young men there on and off the basketball court. Hopefully i will get to see the inside of the school soon.

Old 08-16-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Can't wait to see it. HH has some great leadership, i am impressed with their principal, AD, and they have hired some great coaches. Brett Rector is one of my acquaintances, he will do an amazing job leading the young men there on and off the basketball court. Hopefully i will get to see the inside of the school soon.
The fact that Hoover has been competitive academically and athletically since the flood has been remarkable! Great teachers, coaches, and leadership!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston