Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 07:01 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
I see your point on the pickle ball courts and other fitness activities but maybe they are hoping to draw a before and after work clientele.

I cannot imagine it not being an Olympic size pool but strange things happen in government. I know the drawings posted were preliminary but the one of the pool looked like it ran up against the wall and there was no way to see if there was seating or how much. Nothing as miserable as a large swimming meet with no seating unless it is an outdoor track meet where it is raining and/or freezing cold.

These things that could be corrected if everything is done in the open and not behind closed doors.

Financing in these tough times could also slow it down but I certainly hope not. This is sorely needed.

There was a follow-up article I read that said the mall is getting many inquiries almost immediately about available space for restaurants, et al. That is a good indication of how important this project is for Charleston.
That is really good news! I hope that it moves past inquiries and into real discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 11:42 AM

https://wchstv.com/news/local/listen...sports-complex

If anyone is interested, these are the dates and locations for public hearings regarding the new sports complex.

Sept. 20, 6 p.m. – Ball Toyota Event Center, 1905 Patrick Street Plaza, Charleston
Oct. 8, 11 a.m. – City Center at Slack Plaza
Nov. 1, 6 p.m. – Roosevelt Community Center, 502 Ruffner Avenue, Charleston

Old 09-01-2022, 06:16 AM

583 posts, read 592,701 times
The Olympic pool if they really do build one of that size will be a big draw. That's a revenue generator. And I safe "if" because how many times have we seen things that were to be constructed here not be constructed or in the case that they are constructed end up being scaled down versions of what they were going to be?

As far as trying to somehow equate outdoor soccer fields to indoor fields that can be used year-round regardless of weather I don't know what to tell anyone that cannot or refuses to see the difference because there is a big difference.

Plus this is Charleston. A city that has a tendency to not support things. With Shawnee being a nice facility there are still issues with it. When The Pitch restaurant opened everyone thought it was going to really take off being at Shawnee with all the usage there. But a couple of months ago they put out a sort of bizarro rant on their Facebook page chastising the local community for not supporting The Pitch and something along the lines of you wanted this so why aren't you supporting it?

But the truth is that even as nice and big as Shawnee is it is only going to be busy when tournaments are there to bring in money. And it's not in the nicest of areas and local people are not going to drive out of their way most evenings to go there and eat.

Which brings this back to the CTC. It is already not being supported and local people do not like or feel safe going there.

This is Charleston a depressed town with 3 shooting deaths within a 4 day span just this week. They can fill space in this facility with all the exercise equipment that they want but the reality is people are not going to drive into the mall at night and pay to park in an area of questionable safety when they can go to a workout facility that exists in every strip mall and all kinds of other places around here.

And Charleston does not have a bunch of people living downtown. Some of that is improving but in the case of the Wesbanco tower, formerly Huntington Banks, formerly National Bank of Commerce building those folks are getting a brand new built up from the ground exercise facility of their own on site.

So this is a good thing for Charleston but the space within it needs to be maximized to draw in as much sports tourism and tournament revenue as it possibly can and not duplicate things that are already here and there isn't a desperate need for.

Old 09-13-2022, 05:16 AM

Keeping with the youth sports theme, the city is set to install new turf at several of the city's ball fields.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/multi-...-breaks-ground

Old 09-21-2022, 08:32 AM

https://wchstv.com/news/local/county...-sports-center

The first public hearing was held for the proposed sports complex. It looks like most of the discussion was related to expanding the pool area. I can say that I agree. There needs to be more spectator seating, more deck space for swimmers before and after their events, and I believe there needs to be a separate diving area.

Another thing I would really love to see is an indoor recreation pool for kids, with a splash pad and water slides.

Old 09-21-2022, 03:22 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
https://wchstv.com/news/local/county...-sports-center

The first public hearing was held for the proposed sports complex. It looks like most of the discussion was related to expanding the pool area. I can say that I agree. There needs to be more spectator seating, more deck space for swimmers before and after their events, and I believe there needs to be a separate diving area.

Another thing I would really love to see is an indoor recreation pool for kids, with a splash pad and water slides.
They already have a slash pad at Slack Plaza.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:06 PM

583 posts, read 592,701 times
When I first read about this new development there were several puzzling things about it that made little sense.

The seating for the swimming pool tournaments was only 300 people. Now after going to the public they realize they need 4 times that? OK they do need that much seating but why did they have to go to the public to figure this out? Sounds like more Charleston follies to me.

Then the usage of way to much space for exercise equipment is very odd too. Not needed in this area at all.

To make dollars come in and make this work the focus needs to be on sports tourism and tournaments.

They need at least two indoor soccer fields. It's a shame JCP is still there in a way as this would have opened up even more space. However, the hotel idea needs some work too.

An indoor water park would be a huge thing to have. It would compliment everything else. Charleston has the opportunity to create something really special if they take their time and not do silly Charleston like things.

Build a nice hotel, water park, olympic pool, soccer fields and a couple new restaurants and this will be a destination place for people to come from hundreds of miles because everything they need will be in one very convenient place.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
They already have a slash pad at Slack Plaza.
Are you meaning Magic Island? I don’t think there’s a splash pad at Slack Plaza.

Also, I mean that they would have more like a kiddie pool with water slides and a large play ground like you’d see at a water park. Many cities have these in their public parks and sports areas. It would be great to see a nice one of these outside, but having it inside allows it to be open year round.

Like John said, an indoor water park would make a lot of sense at the CTC. But that sound like more of a private venture. A “Great Wolf Lodge” type of place with a hotel would do wonders.

Not to get too far off topic, but an aquarium to go with it would make the CTC a gold mine opportunity!

Old 09-22-2022, 06:25 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Are you meaning Magic Island? I don’t think there’s a splash pad at Slack Plaza.

Also, I mean that they would have more like a kiddie pool with water slides and a large play ground like you’d see at a water park. Many cities have these in their public parks and sports areas. It would be great to see a nice one of these outside, but having it inside allows it to be open year round.

Like John said, an indoor water park would make a lot of sense at the CTC. But that sound like more of a private venture. A “Great Wolf Lodge” type of place with a hotel would do wonders.

Not to get too far off topic, but an aquarium to go with it would make the CTC a gold mine opportunity!
When I sat outside having dinner at Fife Street, the kids across the street were playing on the splash pad on Slack Plaza.

I don't think the city or the county are interested in funding a hotel. That would be a job for a private builder.

I don't know if an aquarium would fit in with a sports complex, not do I see any reason to think it would be a big attraction.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:01 AM

926 posts, read 827,510 times
I think a state-ran zoo & aquarium is definitely needed for West Virginia. Every surrounding state has at least one. It would be very beneficial for tourism and education. It should be “National” class and located in either Charleston or Morgantown.

Not necessarily saying it has to be on the property around CTC, but it should exist somewhere around downtown Charleston or Morgantown.

A large and well funded Appalachian History & Culture Museum would also be a very good investment from the state & fed in Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston