Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 09:45 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
When I sat outside having dinner at Fife Street, the kids across the street were playing on the splash pad on Slack Plaza.

I don't think the city or the county are interested in funding a hotel. That would be a job for a private builder.

I don't know if an aquarium would fit in with a sports complex, not do I see any reason to think it would be a big attraction.
I didn't realize Slack Plaza had a splash pad now. However, its not necessarily what I was referring too. Check out what Morgantown's aquatic center has for kids. https://mylanpark.org/the-aquatic-center/They have water slides, a kiddie pool area, and a water themed playground. My sister takes her two kids there all the time and they love it! Charleston could and should include a much larger and nicer splash area for the kids! It would be a huge hit.

With that being said, I like the idea of an indoor water park at the CTC better.

I never suggested that the city/county should fund a hotel with a waterpark. I did say that it should be a private venture. It would make sense to be incorporated into the CTC given that the long term success of the property will not be in the form of a mall. It should maintain restaurants and stores, but more so entertainment options.

The CTC will already have a hotel, assuming that the developers of the Sears property keep their word. That would leave some of the existing mall space to be converted to a water park. The state has no such thing, and it would only enhance Charleston's appeal as a year round destination.

As for the aquarium, I believe that the state needs a first class attraction like that. Huntington might be getting a zoo, which is fantastic. It would only make sense for Charleston to compliment that with an aquarium. It's over 3 hours in every direction to any aquarium. Granted there isn't a lot of people in WV, but it would go hand in hand with a water park. Sounds like a gold mine to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 08:53 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,689 times
Well this is timely, although I know it’s already been brought up on this thread. I’m a little hesitant to get too excited about this, since it’s only in the very beginning stages.

Nothing against Huntington, but I’m not sure how I feel about that area potentially getting the zoo and aquarium. I feel like the aquarium would be a better fit in Charleston, but I digress.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/west...VP8iGXuDpU8krg

Old 09-23-2022, 08:58 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Well this is timely, although I know it’s already been brought up on this thread. I’m a little hesitant to get too excited about this, since it’s only in the very beginning stages.

Nothing against Huntington, but I’m not sure how I feel about that area potentially getting the zoo and aquarium. I feel like the aquarium would be a better fit in Charleston, but I digress.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/west...VP8iGXuDpU8krg
I was going to post the same link. I can't see any sense in promoting an aquarium in Charleston with one probably being built in Huntington. Besides, it would be wise to wait and see if the Huntington project succeeds before thinking about building something similar in Charleston.

Old 09-23-2022, 03:01 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,902,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
I think a state-ran zoo & aquarium is definitely needed for West Virginia. Every surrounding state has at least one. It would be very beneficial for tourism and education. It should be “National” class and located in either Charleston or Morgantown.

Not necessarily saying it has to be on the property around CTC, but it should exist somewhere around downtown Charleston or Morgantown.

A large and well funded Appalachian History & Culture Museum would also be a very good investment from the state & fed in Charleston.

I own a ski in-ski out mountain cabin at Deep Creek Lake, Maryland, that I rent out when family isn't using it.
It's only about 40 minutes from Morgantown, a city I visit regularly, and which I think is a very underrated city. My granddaughter just graduated from WVU so I'm a big fan of West Virginia! I'm also familiar with the Charleston/Huntington area and I think they are underrated as well. Both towns deserve better. Investments in both would help the whole state, where tourism is underpromoted. West Virginia is beautiful. The Fall foliage there, and right across the state line in Garrett County, Maryland, is spectacular!

Old 09-23-2022, 07:14 PM

583 posts, read 592,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I was going to post the same link. I can't see any sense in promoting an aquarium in Charleston with one probably being built in Huntington. Besides, it would be wise to wait and see if the Huntington project succeeds before thinking about building something similar in Charleston.

I doubt there's enough population or money here to support a real aquarium or zoo of any kind. The nature center out on 119 south of Charleston is about the best we can do.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:18 AM

Glad to see that the future zoo in Huntington will also feature an aquarium. I feel that it was a missed opportunity for Charleston, but glad that the region is getting on regardless. The CTC still can explore further entertainment options to enhance its appeal.

Old 10-08-2022, 04:54 PM

People were able to share their two cents at Slack Plaza about the proposed Capital Sports Complex. I had some friends that were in attendance, and they were specifically pushing for further developing the aquatic part of the project. I think the city/county is hearing the voices of the public, and the final plans will be far better than the concepts showed.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/public...sports-center#

Old 10-08-2022, 05:23 PM

926 posts, read 827,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
I doubt there's enough population or money here to support a real aquarium or zoo of any kind. The nature center out on 119 south of Charleston is about the best we can do.
3 months into the fiscal year and the state is already at a $1.2+ Billion surplus, I am pretty sure we can afford pretty much anything. The state can definitely support a large zoo or aquarium- especially in Morgantown.

I would even support increasing toll fees on the turnpike and using that money to improve infrastructure in more urban areas of the state, by expanding state highways to 4-lanes, and fund megasites in Charleston, Fairmont, and Wheeling.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:10 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
3 months into the fiscal year and the state is already at a $1.2+ Billion surplus, I am pretty sure we can afford pretty much anything. The state can definitely support a large zoo or aquarium- especially in Morgantown.

I would even support increasing toll fees on the turnpike and using that money to improve infrastructure in more urban areas of the state, by expanding state highways to 4-lanes, and fund megasites in Charleston, Fairmont, and Wheeling.
Why would someone put a large zoo/ aquarium in Morgantown when there is a world-class one an hour north in Pittsburgh?

I personally don't have an issue your toll plan per se but it seems like southern WV is the one that bears the brunt of Turnpike increases because there are really very few if any decent other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston