Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:11 AM

530 posts, read 1,182,191 times

Advertisements

My oldest is in 8th grade in Union county and is required to ware a uniform to school. Ridiculous in my opinion. Just adds more expense for the parents..

What do they really get out of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:37 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,312,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
My oldest is in 8th grade in Union county and is required to ware a uniform to school. Ridiculous in my opinion. Just adds more expense for the parents..

What do they really get out of this?
I cannot see how uniforms would be any more expensive than clothing a child in general. You have to wear clothes.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 AM

530 posts, read 1,182,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I cannot see how uniforms would be any more expensive than clothing a child in general. You have to wear clothes.
I didn't think so either till they changed the system locally to require uniforms. But once you're in that system, you now have to provide uniforms for your children on top of regular every day clothes. Kids don't wear uniforms outside of school typically. They where jeans, T-shirts or whatever..

Also, people who typically were bargain shoppers when it came to clothes, purchasing at stores like Goodies, TJ max, Marshalls, whenever they found something nice enough are now forced to buy the uniforms that everyone else is buying. There are typically no "deals" on uniforms... And try buying them from the school provided agencies.. That's a joke. The cost of their clothes vs. the regular kids apparel is ridiculous. You'd think you're shopping at designer stores.

It's a racket! I hate it..

And I don't see the benefit. I'd like someone to explain the benefits to me so maybe I could have a better opinion on the issue.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,051 times
I am all for uniforms. I grew up in a society where all schools public and private all grade levels wore uniforms. When incidents outside of school occured the student coulc be identified almost down to three grade levels to the specific school. Here are a few sites on the pros and cons. The last one is a parent's view for. Hope this helps. The idea of individuality is not a good enough one for me in the argument against. They have all the other time outside of school to be individuals. At school indiviuality can be demonstrated in other ways other than in uniform ex. the school work and projects. Happy reading.

Pros and Cons of School Uniforms

School Uniforms

5 Reasons Why School Uniforms are a Blessing in Disguise

Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,710 times
I keep wondering why so many people want a uniform policy when it is clearly against the law. Public funded education is paid by taxpayers dollars. Thus eliminating privatization. Requiring uniforms is just one way to target a certain sector of the population. Yes, you will find a “false policy” in certain sectors that are deemed poor. Schools try to classify it as being uniform, looking, acting and behaving as one. Schools are not jails, and students do not need to assimilate to look and behave as one. No public funded school can sent home a student if they choose not to conform to the “false policy”.

Many parents try to find the logic in this by agreeing that its cheaper for their pocketbooks. We have to look past the cost of dressing students and look at the cost of assimilating students to behave as “monkeys”. Yeah, I said it! Trust me, I’m not trying to be derogatory, but it hurts more poor Blacks and Latino’s, with this made up assimilation process.
People would say so many positive things regarding uniforms: It takes away stigma for those who have and those who don’t. Everyone will have on the same clothes, so no more fighting. Uniforms cost less and encourage learning, among everything else they use for persuasion...bunch of baloney. The fact is even if you keep all students dressing the same, students still knows who has more money. They could tell it by someone book bag (designer bag), coat, jacket, shoes, sneakers, jewelry, lunch, where they live and parent’s car. Thus still creating a separation of those who have and those who do not.

If the policy was mandated for every school, both public and private I will object less, but when it targets a certain sector of the population, I’m against. Could anyone tell me if learning rose by having students in uniforms? I think not...

Old 02-11-2010, 08:50 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,246 times
Quote:
I didn't think so either till they changed the system locally to require uniforms. But once you're in that system, you now have to provide uniforms for your children on top of regular every day clothes. Kids don't wear uniforms outside of school typically. They where jeans, T-shirts or whatever..

Also, people who typically were bargain shoppers when it came to clothes, purchasing at stores like Goodies, TJ max, Marshalls, whenever they found something nice enough are now forced to buy the uniforms that everyone else is buying. There are typically no "deals" on uniforms... And try buying them from the school provided agencies.. That's a joke. The cost of their clothes vs. the regular kids apparel is ridiculous. You'd think you're shopping at designer stores.

And I don't see the benefit. I'd like someone to explain the benefits to me so maybe I could have a better opinion on the issue.
My kids went to Weddington Middle and the dress code was not a mandatory 'uniform'....you could buy anything that fit the dress code requirements. Has that changed?

We had no trouble outfitting the kids for school for less than $100 each by bargain shopping...and that might be a generous estimate. There were plenty of deals on khaki pants and polo shirts. I liked it and so did the kids. They wore khaki's outside of school sometimes, as well as jeans. You can wear a solid color polo shirt anywhere. It wasn't a big deal at all.

The benefit is that it levels the playing field in one area and provides one less distraction for the students who are there to LEARN, not debate who is wearing the cutest top. No one was picked on because of their clothes...which DD has already noticed changed in high school. If you don't wear 'name brands' other kids will call you out for it. Is that what you want kids focused on at school? If not then uniforms or dress codes are an easy and (can be) inexpensive solution.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:52 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,312,545 times
Quote:
Kids don't wear uniforms outside of school typically. They where jeans, T-shirts or whatever..

Be the parent, make them.
I see kids playing and riding bikes after school in their uniforms.
And I'm talking about very simple things like navy/khaki pants (boys) and solid knit shirts.
It's just 'normal' clothes. I see kids walking out of Providence HS wearing $30 T-shirts & $80 jerseys, while I am talking about $7 polos you can get at Target.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:52 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
I keep wondering why so many people want a uniform policy when it is clearly against the law.
Please link to any local, state or federal law which would prohibit a school from having a dress code or uniform.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:00 AM

I don't think that the uniform policy targets a certain sector of the population. Schools have enough to deal with. If some of the dress code violations could be fixed by uniforms, why not? It frees up the teachers to focus on other important matters. I have heard male teachers feeling uncomfortable telling female students that their dress is inappropriate. Have you seen what some students wear to school? If it creates a better learning environment, I am all for it. As for "assimilation and to behave as monkeys" not true. Some teachers and schools do that alone without the use of uniforms, that's called traditional methods of teaching.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:03 AM

@ NCYank
Dresscodes are good alternative as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte