Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:28 AM

192 posts, read 687,518 times

Advertisements

It's DEFINITELY longer than 9 hours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 08:30 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteBoundfromMiami View Post
I have NO idea what kind of hotel. Someplace central, and decent, but we'll probably only be there to sleep....
I would suggest you book a place in uptown Charlotte, as that is the most central location. From there you can branch out north one day and south the next. I believe the Hampton Inn in uptown has pretty good rates:

530 E Second St
Charlotte, NC 28202

Old 06-20-2007, 08:33 AM

31 posts, read 117,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I hate to argue, but are you SURE about that travel time? I believe it took us almost 7 hours from Charlotte just to Orlando one time, maybe I'm remembering wrong?
Well, seems you're right....

11 hrs 6 min from us to CLT.

now what.

I'm never gonna get out of Miami.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggleflap View Post
On our first house hunting trips, we wouldn't consult a realtor. (Sorry Loves!) We wanted to form our own opinions of areas first. Plus, if you use a Charlotte realtor, they sometimes do not know a lot about other counties. Decide how far you are willing to commute and let that be your guide. There were several areas that we LOVED but the commute would be a killer so we marked those off our list. Yes, the people on this forum can definitely get you started and point you in the right direction. I'd help you, but I'm not going to be around either. Here are some questions to get your started and help the others here get an idea of what you want.

What ages are your kids and what are you looking for in a school? Any special programs? Gifted? Athletics? Music? etc.
If buying a home, what price range are you looking for?
What type of neighborhood are you interested in? Big lot? Small lot? Big house? Pool? Neighborhood pool and tennis?
Close to the airport? Shopping?
Close to State Parks and outdoor activites?

Let us know and we can definitely help (or confuse!) you.

Oh, I didn't mean they should sign with a realtor or anything...just that they should make contact with one who could give them some maps and help them understand the lay of the land.

Hey, maybe I should start a new business...I could pick folks up at their hotel, and for a fee drive them around to show them the highlights for 2 or 3 hours!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Well, seems you're right....

11 hrs 6 min from us to CLT.

now what.

I'm never gonna get out of Miami.
Check the flights, sometimes there are deals

Old 06-20-2007, 08:42 AM

What ages are your kids and what are you looking for in a school? 11 (boy), 5 (girl), and 7 months (boy).

Any special programs? Gifted? Athletics? Music? etc. Gifted, and music would be nice

If buying a home, what price range are you looking for? $300 - $350k

What type of neighborhood are you interested in? A newer one (<12 yrs old), one with alot of families, kids playing in the streets, VERY secure, commute to downtown < 1 hour

Big lot? Small lot? Preferably around half an acre

Big house? Pool? Pool isn't necessary (prefer a comm. pool), house size >= 2,800 sq ft (4/2 or 4/3)

Neighborhood pool and tennis? doesn't really matter

Close to the airport? Shopping? no preference here

Close to State Parks and outdoor activites? sure, that would be nice..

Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,025,322 times
Quote:
We're planning on leaving Thurs. evening. Coming back Sunday.

It's about 9 hours from Miami. We really don't want to spend alot on airfare...
When I did the weekend scout from Miami, I did the following.

2 Flights Mia - Clt
4 nights Marriot south park
Car for duration

Total cost $626

Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Miami to Charlotte will take about 13-14 hours w/stopping for gas, etc. Flying is probably cheaper than gas right now.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:22 AM

85 posts, read 281,690 times
BaggleFlap is correct...I am from Miami, and the trip will be more like 11-12 hours, and that's assuming no traffic in Dade, Broward, Palm BEach(so take the turnpike to Port St Lucie maybe Midway Drive or Ft Pierce)...and missing the Charlotte rush hour...this leaves Fri And SAT to do your thing...I would decide on what you are here for...if it's house hunting, this forum is a great resource, but you MUST have a price range in mind...this area is comparable to Miami-Ft Lauderdale...lots of small interconnected communities that each offer different things...as a Miami/Ft Lauderdale native, I'd be glad to show you around or answer some Q's...but I live in Iredell County, which is north LKN area(Mooresville, HUntersville,Troutman, Davidson,Statesville, etc.) feel free to drop me a line...I expect to be on my computer most of the day...I would suggest a day for the 'north side' and a day for the 'south side'...think of it as exploring Dade County, then Broward County...the area is very simialr in develpment...I call it Kendall II, as it reminds me of where I grew up. BEst of luck..drop a line if you have any Q's

Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
When I did the weekend scout from Miami, I did the following.

2 Flights Mia - Clt
4 nights Marriot south park
Car for duration

Total cost $626
So cheap?? Where did you go to get such a good rate?? On cheaptickets and orbitz, the flight alone would cost $500 per person....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte