Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 11:21 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,967 times

Advertisements

Im not going to read this whole thread so sorry if its a repost. There was an article in today's business journal about this:
Charlotte paying a price for Democratic National Convention - Charlotte Business Journal

If you can't read the full article, they are saying the economic impact is a lot lower than what is typically presented, but at the end of the article he states even if its a "wash" its probably still good for the city's image unless something really bad happens like in Chicago 1968.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Im not going to read this whole thread so sorry if its a repost. There was an article in today's business journal about this:
Charlotte paying a price for Democratic National Convention - Charlotte Business Journal

If you can't read the full article, they are saying the economic impact is a lot lower than what is typically presented, but at the end of the article he states even if its a "wash" its probably still good for the city's image unless something really bad happens like in Chicago 1968.
Again - all speculation. No one can do much more than use historic financial info to guess at figures. I honestly would find it difficult to believe that there is a payback to the city coffers if the city spends millions to "get ready" for the convention.

However, it would definitely bring in money but who knows at what cost? Anyone who says they can provide that answer is blowing smoke.

There is one thing I feel good about, tho. Unless folks are imported to create a problem in Charlotte, no way on earth there will be riots in the streets such as at the Chicago Convention in '68. No one has that much passion about the war, for one thing. And no surprises about who will be nominated on the DEM ticket, lol. So there is no reason at all for anyone to be causing some sort of civil unrest while the DNC is in town.

Charlotte residents and businesses would bend over backward to accommodate that many people here in our city. It would be civility all around and I frankly think convention-goers would have a good time here and enjoy their stay.

The only concern I have is getting stuck w/ a big bill for taxpayers to pick up later. Other than that, I can't see any reason that Charlotte would not welcome convention attendees with open arms.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
I do not welcome this convention with open arms. I'll be staying home.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There is one thing I feel good about, tho. Unless folks are imported to create a problem in Charlotte, no way on earth there will be riots in the streets such as at the Chicago Convention in '68. No one has that much passion about the war, for one thing. And no surprises about who will be nominated on the DEM ticket, lol. So there is no reason at all for anyone to be causing some sort of civil unrest while the DNC is in town.
The protests, if they happen, won't be over the war, it will be over the economy.

In regards to who is nominated, it's not clear to me that Obama won't get a serious challenger for the democratic nomination for president. It hasn't happened in a while, but Ted Kennedy tried to take down an unpopular President Jimmy Carter in 1980. Kennedy, someone who was also controversial did manage to get 35% of the delegates to back him. It ended in a pretty bitter convention. Nobody really remembers it however because Carter later lost to Ronald Reagan. In any case the precedent is there.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Lumbollo from what you have seen of these conventions over the years are there any opportunities for regular citizens to interact with the delegates & politicians or are they all hidden away in a security zone?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I do not welcome this convention with open arms. I'll be staying home.
I will be, too - I hate traffic jams - but I wasn't referring to residents in general - I was referring to businesses, restaurants, taxis, etc.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
The protests, if they happen, won't be over the war, it will be over the economy.

In regards to who is nominated, it's not clear to me that Obama won't get a serious challenger for the democratic nomination for president. It hasn't happened in a while, but Ted Kennedy tried to take down an unpopular President Jimmy Carter in 1980. Kennedy, someone who was also controversial did manage to get 35% of the delegates to back him. It ended in a pretty bitter convention. Nobody really remembers it however because Carter later lost to Ronald Reagan. In any case the precedent is there.
War, economy, whatever.

Folks are not gonna riot in the streets over any issue. I referred to the war b/c that was the big issue in '68.

If people were gonna riot over the economy, they would have already done it.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:51 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Charlotte is one of four finalists for the 2012 Democratic Convention,

according to the party's National Committee.
The party is expected to pick later this year among the Queen City,

Cleveland, Minneapolis and St. Louis.
The 2008 gathering in Denver had a $266 million economic benefit in Denver.

Charlotte a finalist for Democratic National Convention in 2012 - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/01/1536102/charlotte-could-host-2012-dnc.html - broken link)
Oh is that right? hmmmm

Old 07-25-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I remember it quite well.

However, Obama is still immensely popular with his own party and there is no way in heaven or hell that anyone has any sort of chance at all in challenging him for the nomination.

The only way a "protest" would occur in the 2012 election will be for things to unfold as they did w/ Carter . . . voters will simply vote Obama out.

With no viable candidate on the Republican front, the chances of that, however, are about 100:1.

In any case, there won't be riots at the DEM convention in 2012. It will be a big lovefest and if I were a DEM, I would be make sure it came off exactly that way. The DEM convention will be a lot of back patting, hugging, singing and will look more like the preliminary to a coronation than anything else, lol.

And folks won't have any reason not to join in, cause that heinous healthcare legislation won't have gone into effect since the Dems very strategically set the date past the 2012 election, lol.

Once people find out how that is really gonna affect their finances and their access to healthcare, they are gonna be furious (both parties) but since they won't know . . . no one will be the wiser. If there are gonna be riots in the streets, look to 2014 and after . . .

Old 07-25-2010, 01:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
It too early to speculate what our troubles will be in 2012
with escalating tension with N. Korea. The troops are already doing military
exercises off S. Korean coast this could be our next war.
BBC News - S Korea-US military exercise held in the Sea of Japan
We all can be optimistic that our ecomony and well being will be better.
A convention without war protesters has there ever been one?

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte