Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:35 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,938 times

Advertisements

I have done my research on Charlotte and it seems that most of the areas that are jacking up the crime rate stats for the Metro area are The East & West side and maby Gastonia. From my research the North side has the least crime while still being affordable (Not Huntersville). I'm interested in knowing about the crime in the N. & NE area's. Is crime pretty good in these areas? And how is crime in the University Area itself as well? Until I get some information on this matter it seems Concord is my best bet to avoid the crime while still being semi close to the college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
I have done my research on Charlotte and it seems that most of the areas that are jacking up the crime rate stats for the Metro area are The East & West side and maby Gastonia. From my research the North side has the least crime while still being affordable (Not Huntersville). I'm interested in knowing about the crime in the N. & NE area's. Is crime pretty good in these areas? And how is crime in the University Area itself as well? Until I get some information on this matter it seems Concord is my best bet to avoid the crime while still being semi close to the college.
You're kidding, right?
Huntersville is your safest best north of the city, don't know why you have dismissed it as a possibility

The area surrounding the university has crime issues for sure. I would only live well north of WT Harris Blvd myself (in the Mallard Creek area for instance). The area of Concord nearest to UNCC is very popular. I'd check out the Tower Place Apartments if you are looking for one.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:57 PM

187 posts, read 460,478 times
Yeah Huntersville is a really safe area...As well is Mooresville,Both both areas are pretty far from UNCC tho...Like the last post said...Mallard Creek and the Concord side of the Univ area would be the best choices around UNCC

Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
I live in the north area (Oakdale) and have no complaints. It is easier to determine if you have specific sub divisions you're looking at or cross streets. Keep in mind that many newer sub divisions were purchased up and then turned into section 8 housing, so while they houses look nice and newer, they may be section 8.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:39 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
University seems like more property crime (vehicle break-ins) than personal crimes from what I have seen. I'd live in Huntersville if it didn't feel so dang crowded.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:14 AM

406 posts, read 1,431,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You're kidding, right?
Huntersville is your safest best north of the city, don't know why you have dismissed it as a possibility

The area surrounding the university has crime issues for sure. I would only live well north of WT Harris Blvd myself (in the Mallard Creek area for instance). The area of Concord nearest to UNCC is very popular. I'd check out the Tower Place Apartments if you are looking for one.

Yeah, reason I said not Huntersville is because it seems a little pricey for me. I wont have much cash. I really like Concord but I was wanderin If their was a way to enjoy being a little closer to the city without being in a high crime area. How is crime right outside of the loop but before you get to Huntersville?

Old 08-26-2010, 03:27 AM

187 posts, read 460,478 times
The Concord area thats closest to the Univ area has almost everything that can be found in Charlotte all within like a 2 or 3 mile radius...Theres a mall there with a nascar speedpark,A Dave and Busters,Best Buy,AMC movie theatre,Etc...Tons of resturants nearby as well...Living on that side of Concord wouldn't be a bad option at all,But in Charlotte..The best areas are the South side and then the Steele Creek area...Not really near UNCC at all tho

Old 08-27-2010, 06:44 PM

15 posts, read 34,171 times
I was looking hard at the Prosperity Church Rd. area, but when I looked in the neighborhoods I was interested in I saw a spike of crime including a couple of armed robberies which had me concerned. I decided to move South. However, I did find out recently that there's some low income housing now in that area. Not sure of the specifics, but I'm pretty sure that's a contributing factor to the crime spikes in the particular neighborhoods I was interested in including a handful of armed robberies. Community Crime mapping is a great tool in terms of picking a safe location.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:28 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
Have you heard the addage

Figures lie and liars figure...
I have no idea what spike in crime you see off Prosperity Creek Church. the area is very nice and one of the more desireable areas in NE Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chltresident View Post
I was looking hard at the Prosperity Church Rd. area, but when I looked in the neighborhoods I was interested in I saw a spike of crime including a couple of armed robberies which had me concerned. I decided to move South. However, I did find out recently that there's some low income housing now in that area. Not sure of the specifics, but I'm pretty sure that's a contributing factor to the crime spikes in the particular neighborhoods I was interested in including a handful of armed robberies. Community Crime mapping is a great tool in terms of picking a safe location.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:54 AM

747 posts, read 2,105,932 times
I live in this area, and have seen no major crimes. If, however, there were " a couple of armed robberies", would that make the area unsafe? I dont know that you will find ANY area as populated as this area that has zero crime. What I can tell you is that if we go to the Dairy Queen at 9PM, I feel safe with my 10 year old daughter walking around the shopping center. I see people walking for excercise along Prosperity Church early AM, and late evening, they must feel safe. Instead of just looking at the possible rare exception, I would look at the positives this area offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte