Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 PM

53 posts, read 154,012 times

Advertisements

I am expecting my first child and could really use some help selecting a day care center near Ballantyne. I did a little bit of research online and identified 3 centers which were rated as 5 stars by the state of North Carolina (Goddard School, Kids R Kids at Blakeney and Shining Stars). It looks like Goddard School and Kids R Kids are a little expensive but we are willing to spend the extra money if the quality of the center is good. Does anyone have any feedback on any of these daycare centers? Any additional suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 08:10 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
If you can afford it, hire a nanny. Your baby will be in a classroom with seven other infants, so even in a five star center the care he receives will never be as good as that of a nanny. I can recommend a nanny agency if you are interested.

If that doesn't suit your needs, look at non-profit childcare centers at churches. For profit centers such as Kids R Kids, Goddard, and Shining Stars are only worried about one thing: their profit.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:28 PM

Default student: teacher ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
If you can afford it, hire a nanny. Your baby will be in a classroom with seven other infants, so even in a five star center the care he receives will never be as good as that of a nanny. I can recommend a nanny agency if you are interested.

If that doesn't suit your needs, look at non-profit childcare centers at churches. For profit centers such as Kids R Kids, Goddard, and Shining Stars are only worried about one thing: their profit.
We looked into a nanny and have decided that this is not a good option for us. I am definitely willing to consider non-profit childcare centers if you have any recommendations.

I am a little confused regarding the quality of care at the five star centers. I thought that the state of North Carolina mandated an infant teacher ratio of 5:1 and all of the centers I mentioned advertise 4:1 ratios? Are violations of the law frequently noted? I did not see it in the reports from the state of NC.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Yes, the ratio is 4:1, but there are two teachers. There will be eight infants in a classroom.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:10 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,831 times
I have had my children at the Goddard School in the past, not the infant room, but the stages just after it. My children enjoyed it and if it is the same manager, she was wonderful. We left however b/c it was so expensive.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:02 AM

Default Shining Stars and Kids r Kids

Thanks for the feedback amp on Goddard.

Anyone have feedback on kids r kids or shining stars?

Any other suggestions?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 AM

65 posts, read 175,790 times
Check out Field of Dreams (Home) located at Edgewater Corp Park on Hwy 521 just south of Ballantyne. It's a brand new center, but they have a sister site at Baxter Village in Fort Mill.

We had our two boys at the Baxter location and absolutely loved it. The principle owner is often on-site and very involved. The director is amazing and I believe she's running the Edgewater location.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:14 PM

533 posts, read 1,833,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post

Agreed. I've worked in several 5 star centers and the bottom line is always profit, not the quality care of children. 8 babies to 2 teachers is a challenge when the babies need things at the same time (feeding, diaper change, attention, etc). It only gets worse as the ratio increases with age and you have a bunch of toddlers running around and eating each other. But if you don't have any other options, just get to know the teachers. It's not about how great the director is or how impressive the curriculum appears to be, but about the people that will be caring for your child's needs all day. If you feel comfortable with the teachers, then you know you are in the right place...then you just have to hope the teachers in the next room up fit the bill as well. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte