Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 PM

25 posts, read 90,391 times

Advertisements

While I have certainly had my moments sitting in traffic here, we really don't have it that bad. Was in Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale/Miami for a few days last week. Traffic was horrible. It took some re-exposure to what bad traffic is to remind me how good we have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 PM

202 posts, read 347,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I was just wondering if there are any plans to add lanes to any of Charlotte's freeways?? If Charlotte is going to continue to grow...are there any plans of action in place?? It still boggles my mind that driving into downtown on Independence there are only 3 lanes for traffic!!! What is that about?? If Charlotte does add another million people...then what?? I think that is why the traffic is so bad here..b/c you only have 2 or 3 lanes for traffic. Like on 485...mostly only 2 lanes?? I don't think Charlotte's infrastructure can handle another million people
Try DC's Capital beltway at 2pm on a saturday and let me know how it compares to rush hour on independence monday morning at 8am. Get a grip traffic here is a joke. I used to live out independence of margaret wallace and it took me less than 20 minutes to get downtown. Traffic here is easy peezy

Old 09-12-2010, 12:56 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,098 times
OK...I was just wondering b/c I know that Charlotte is continuing to grow. I was leaving Charlotte on Thursday afternoon...and instead of taking 74 to Monroe...I took Monroe Rd/Old Charlotte Highway..and got frustrated by the traffic...so I got to thinking if there were more people on the road then traffic would be WAY worse. So was just wondering what plans were in place. Charlotte would be VERY smart to push more transit...and like someone else said...Charlotte does has plenty of land to grow and develop....I am interested to see how Charlotte will look in 10 to 15 years in the future....so far so good...

Old 09-12-2010, 08:21 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,043 times
Quote:
Charlotte would be VERY smart to push more transit
City leaders can push all they want but transit is controlled at the state level (The NC Dept. of Transportation).

Old 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
City leaders can push all they want but transit is controlled at the state level (The NC Dept. of Transportation).
This was my thoughts on this as well. City can plan all they want but
the State controls most of the roads the city can only plan development of existing roads. All government agencies are in debt or broke the only way to pay for more infrastructure is tax hikes with the New Monroe by pass
I see in future increase development at the interchanges.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:47 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
I wanted to find this post the other day, but somehow I couldn't find it, I'm glad it's still going so here goes! The problem is that for whatever reason, our state gov't IMHO seems to want to punish Charlotte for its growth! We have a bunch of bureaucrats from down east who want to funnel a lot of porkbarrel projects to a lot of non-growth, rural areas in the eastern part of the state while everything west of Alamance County goes to pot! I rode out to ECU with a friend of mine to drop her son off to campus and that stretch of road, I believe it was Hwy 264, was nice and well-maintained, and the roads around the Raleigh-Durham area are pretty nice as well! Pretty much, most of I-85/40 is nice until you get near Greensboro, and that's when you start to see where everything start going downhill with the potholes and what have you!

Last edited by prwfromnc; 09-13-2010 at 11:55 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 12:31 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,359,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
The problem is they need to plan for the growth. Just because the traffic isn't as bad a Atlanta today doesn't mean it won't be in a few years. They need to get ahead of the traffic issues by managed growth...
I totally agree with the need to plan ahead, but I have yet to see that foresight here. Just look at the mess CMS has going on with overcrowding and such. (Sorry for the off topic comparison!)

Adding: I do think that overall traffic is ok now, and I'm also not sure why certain parts of the state are doing better in terms of funding/planning compared to Charlotte. Do we not fuss loud enough

Old 09-13-2010, 01:03 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
I totally agree with the need to plan ahead, but I have yet to see that foresight here. Just look at the mess CMS has going on with overcrowding and such. (Sorry for the off topic comparison!)

Adding: I do think that overall traffic is ok now, and I'm also not sure why certain parts of the state are doing better in terms of funding/planning compared to Charlotte. Do we not fuss loud enough
Probably not! This state has let it be known for a long time that the Piedmot Crescent, which includes the Triad and Charlotte regions (I'm pretty sure Asheville and the western portion of the state is getting shafted also), are really not a high priority, while the Triangle eastward gets all of the attention! I think that Governor Perdue is trying to assist Charlotte some, but more really needs to be done! I think that she's trying to reach out to Charlotte more than the previous governor ever did, I'm glad he's gone!

Old 09-13-2010, 01:04 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
I'm also not sure why certain parts of the state are doing better in terms of funding/planning compared to Charlotte. Do we not fuss loud enough
Sunny & Ani explained it awhile ago. It has to do with a preponderance of lawmakers from the eastern part of NC in the legislature approving projects for their constituents over Charlotte.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 9,801 times
i really dont think that the traffic is nearly as bad as other states like Florida. We have it good. Its a breeze driving on I-85, and I-77. But I would say that making additional lanes would be a good idea. Some places only have 3!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte