Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 06:32 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
HOAs get a bad rap. But trust me, the first time you have some crazy neighbor with junk all over the place, overgrown lawns, or dangerous dogs not complying with leash laws, you'll be glad you have an HOA to keep your investment from going down in value.
Actually, the city and the county already HAVE laws to deal with ALL of those things.

It's funny that people think HOAs improve their home's value, because homes without HOAs actually appreciate faster than those with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 07:33 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Actually, the city and the county already HAVE laws to deal with ALL of those things.

It's funny that people think HOAs improve their home's value, because homes without HOAs actually appreciate faster than those with them.
Ok sweetie look at it this way: The city of Huntersville, for example, has one-- ONE-- animal control officer for the entire town. So if you have issues in the neighborhood with nuisance animals, good freaking luck getting help with that in a timely manner. An HOA that is properly run will have the issue resolved faster. And NO, the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Matthews, etc do NOT have the manpower on the town level to give a darn about a weedy lawn or junk inthe yards. Give me a break. And I really don't understand it when people post information such as "homes without HOAs appreciate faster." Show me a study otherwise I am not buying that. If you don't like them, don't move where there is one.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:25 AM

The 1,000 square foot home I lived in (which doesn't have an HOA) has quadrupeled in value since I moved into my 2,700 square foot home in an HOA. Meanwhile, my current home hasn't even appreciated 50% over the same time period.

And don't call me sweetie.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:53 AM

Wow, that's some hard-hitting evidence.
Yes, it's most certainly the HOA that made all the difference in the appreciation...nothing to do with location, market variances, etc.
You are obviously not from genteel company, thus your attitude toward being called sweetie. Sorry to have offended your delicate nature.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:56 AM

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/17.gif (broken link)

Old 07-01-2007, 01:05 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
KMWAY

You can call me sweetie any time

Old 07-01-2007, 01:13 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
interesting...the OP has since to return to participate in this thread and has now ruffled a few of the regulars....

Old 07-01-2007, 01:19 PM

85 posts, read 362,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
The 1,000 square foot home I lived in (which doesn't have an HOA) has quadrupeled in value since I moved into my 2,700 square foot home in an HOA. Meanwhile, my current home hasn't even appreciated 50% over the same time period.

And don't call me sweetie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Wow, that's some hard-hitting evidence.
Yes, it's most certainly the HOA that made all the difference in the appreciation...nothing to do with location, market variances, etc.
You are obviously not from genteel company, thus your attitude toward being called sweetie. Sorry to have offended your delicate nature.
Ok, time out.....what we have here is Weedydidi's 'truth' as experienced and Kmway's 'truth' based on experience as well......hmmmm, what I perceived as my 'truth' is an attempt to force the other side to accept their experience as fact, when, in fact, it is nothing more than truth. Can I hear an Amen to Philosophy 101?!?! The only part I was uncomfortable with was the 'Sweetie' episode. In many areas of the country it is endearing and sociably acceptable in all levels. And yet the really sophisticated have learned to use it as 'double-tongue speak'. You know, that's when it's used in an obviously condescending manner (this is when the statement is loaded) and if someone takes offense (this is when the trigger is pulled) the followup is something like, once again condescending, 'sorry you are so sensitive'........huh? An apology for the others stated fault? Whoa! Actually the thread about Homeowners Ass's (is that a correct abreviation? I can never remember!) has been lost at this point and should be readdressed. However, this is a wonderful opportunity for a new thread about the use of Terms of Endearment such as 'Sweetie', Honey and others when referring to another in a respectful and loving way here in Charlotte!!!! Any takers?? Youse guys?

Old 07-01-2007, 02:54 PM

396 posts, read 1,434,996 times
One experience of a home's value escalating without an HOA vs. one that didn't escalate as quickly that IS with an HOA is hardly evidence that this is typical.

I have lived with and without HOAs. The neighborhood I live in now does have an HOA, and I have seen the benefits-- We had a neighbor with numerous cars with tarps on them, a lawn that was mowed ONLY every 5-6 weeks, and the HOA sent letters to remedy the situation. It worked. The cars have been moved and the lawn is being kept up.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
KMWAY

You can call me sweetie any time
Thanks sweetie pumpkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
interesting...the OP has since to return to participate in this thread and has now ruffled a few of the regulars....
I find that interesting as well....could it have been the work of a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart1 View Post

Ok, time out.....what we have here is Weedydidi's 'truth' as experienced and Kmway's 'truth' based on experience as well......
Actually, I have been careful not to make absolutes. I have said many times that an HOA may not be for everyone. I also never said in absolutes that an HOA increases value. What I did say is that I believe that a properly run HOA is helpful in retaining value and allowing natural appreciation to occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte