Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 9,024 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone is familiar with the Ardrey Woods neighborhood and M/I Homes. We're considering building there, but would love a little more information on the neighborhood and the builder's reputation. I know they offer a great warranty and the homes seem to be built well. But has anyone had experience with them? And what is the neighborhood like? Any problems with the HOA? Thanks for anything you can tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 06:07 AM

85 posts, read 192,255 times
I was also looking into that community because the area is suppose to have excellent schools. Any additional information would be great.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,894 times
I think they are a good builder, building energy efficient homes now. Just make sure you have your realtor pull comps on recent sold properties in the area so you can get the best price.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
I'm not familiar with Ardrey Woods, how built out is the neighborhood? I would be VERY wary of buying in any neighborhood that is not 80%+ built out right now...

Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 AM

5 posts, read 9,024 times
hooligan, I believe another builder was building there first (can't remember the name) and M/I Homes took over last year. It seems to be about 70% built and the amenities (pool & walking trails) are already in.

SouthCharlotte's reply made me think of another question: How important is it to have a realtor when you're building? Does that mean I wouldn't be able to speak to the builder directly, only go through my realtor? I'm not familiar with this at all, that's why I'm asking.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:31 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmaker View Post
hooligan, I believe another builder was building there first (can't remember the name) and M/I Homes took over last year. It seems to be about 70% built and the amenities (pool & walking trails) are already in.

SouthCharlotte's reply made me think of another question: How important is it to have a realtor when you're building? Does that mean I wouldn't be able to speak to the builder directly, only go through my realtor? I'm not familiar with this at all, that's why I'm asking.
Get a good buyer's RE agent for new construction... It costs you nothing extra and you won't get a "better deal" without one.

Interview several of them.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:55 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,742,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmaker View Post

You should definitely get a buyer's agent. My husband and I just started looking at a new development and are very glad we had an agent. Look for one with experience in new homes specifically. She pulled the maps for plots we were looking at and was able to give a lot of insight as to how the plots would differ, where power lines or other unsightly stuff would be, how elevations would differ, etc. Also, she has a good idea of what upgrades discounts they are likely to give and how to go about negotiating. Remember, the builder's agents are working for the best interest of the builder.

It's a good idea to have an agent BEFORE you visit the site, I know some developers will try to make you use their agent if you don't have your own during the first visit. I don't think having an agent precludes you from talking to the builders agent directly, but your agent would probably prefer to be involved in most interactions.

M/I homes is also building in the community we are looking at. We are more interested in a different builder, but did see some of the M/I homes and talk to them. I'd say their houses were really nice, great floorplans, however they seemed to use more standard trim and finishes whereas other builders used higher quality. Also, their houses were on slab foundations, which was a turn off to us. Not sure if this will be the same where you are looking, but it's something to look into and think about.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:14 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,894 times
Thumbs up Benefits to Having a Buyer's Agent for New Construction

Glad to see buyers that agree -- I don't want to seem self-serving you know

Anyway, here's a link to a previous thread where I discussed the advantages to having a buyer's agent:

What's the point of a buyer rep?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:46 PM

527 posts, read 920,163 times
Default Me tooo

We are exploring buying here at Ardrey Woods.
The Fenmore floor plan is what we liked.. But the price range of upwards of $295K with ZERO negotiations is a big put off.
The homes are 100% energy star efficient (though i am not sure the benefits of that are comparable to ..say $30K)

Plus the sales is a rigid process..

I am assuming a start price of 10% less is a good offer.. Pls suggest

Old 09-30-2010, 01:05 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
We are exploring buying here at Ardrey Woods.
The Fenmore floor plan is what we liked.. But the price range of upwards of $295K with ZERO negotiations is a big put off.
The homes are 100% energy star efficient (though i am not sure the benefits of that are comparable to ..say $30K)

Plus the sales is a rigid process..

I am assuming a start price of 10% less is a good offer.. Pls suggest
There are no hard and steadfast rules when it comes to negotiations... There's way too many factors involved. This is where a good buyer's agent comes into play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte