Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildee007 View Post
Ultimately, I would like a townhouse/condo in an area with some culture and presence. Am I dreaming or is there such an area within Charlotte?
Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!!
I reread your post and would just like to add: no, you are not dreaming, Charlotte is indeed the place to be for "culture and presence." It just may not be predominantly black culture and presence, but a mix of all cultures.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:55 AM

23 posts, read 86,395 times
African American is a "culture" so is "Italian", "Hispanic" and many other beautiful heritages - I just asked about one - which you totally disrespected with your racist propaganda with regards to my race and crime. I never disrespected anyone's race or heritage and to state your "opinion" on the African American community as "fact" is just plain ignorant. Maybe you should not only "re-read" some previous postings - maybe you should also re-think some - I will not post again - I'm obviously in the wrong place here -

Old 07-04-2007, 10:10 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,772 times
Quote:
wow - so majority African American=High Crime Area?
No, but in Charlotte it just so happens that high crime = predominantly African American area. It's not our fault, it is what it is, don't shoot the messenger.
Quote:
African American is a "culture" so is "Italian", "Hispanic" and many other beautiful heritages - I just asked about one -
And we don't have any neighborhoods like that. Charlotte is mixed and was not influenced by the immigration in the early 1900s that created these culturally-specific neighborhoods that are found up North. Why you are freaking out about an honest answer is beyond me.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:43 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
No, but in Charlotte it just so happens that high crime = predominantly African American area. It's not our fault, it is what it is, don't shoot the messenger.

And we don't have any neighborhoods like that. Charlotte is mixed and was not influenced by the immigration in the early 1900s that created these culturally-specific neighborhoods that are found up North. Why you are freaking out about an honest answer is beyond me.
I cannot for the life of me figure out how this thread became a negative one, as EVERY SINGLE PERSON who posted to answer the original question was very nice, sincere, and helpful. We were trying to spread the good news that in Charlotte you don't have to live segregated, all are welcome in any place they can afford to live. There are many people of other races living in half million dollar and up homes all over the city - black and white, red and yellow, SIDE BY SIDE. This does not happen in many places and we are proud of the diversity Charlotte has attained.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:49 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,772 times
**Amen!!!**

Old 07-04-2007, 10:52 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
you do understand that "predominately" and "all" are have totally different meanings right? I don't remember ever using the word "all" - doesn't matter - i've gotten your response.
You asked for info an "an upscale black neighborhood", I was just trying to tell you there are none in Charlotte. No all black upscale neighborhoods and no PREDOMINANTLY black upscale neighborhoods - there are just "upscale neighborhoods". But by the same token, there are no all white upscale neighborhoods in Charlotte either - something some of us think is great!

I do not understand your hostile responses when all I've done is give you the scoop on how things are in Charlotte. Did you somehow think I meant something racist? I can assure you I did not. Most people come here, no matter what their race, and are happy to see how well we all get along here. That's a GOOD thing, don't you see?

Old 07-04-2007, 10:56 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
African American is a "culture" so is "Italian", "Hispanic" and many other beautiful heritages - I just asked about one - which you totally disrespected with your racist propaganda with regards to my race and crime. I never disrespected anyone's race or heritage and to state your "opinion" on the African American community as "fact" is just plain ignorant. Maybe you should not only "re-read" some previous postings - maybe you should also re-think some - I will not post again - I'm obviously in the wrong place here -
Nobody has been racist here but yourself. You came on here looking to segregate yourself from a white community, which is fine. However everyone here has been extremely helpful to you in trying to find a middle ground for your "upscale community", one you've been told doesn't exist in Charlotte, yet YOU were the one that pulled the race card and seemingly chomping at the bit to do so. You dealt that one, not anyone else here which certainly doesn't make them the racists. Plus I don't think anyone else is buying that they're racists either. Sorry, being called a racist will only get the person doing the calling a one-way ticket the other way. Nobody buys it.

And for the record from Chicago to Newark to Camden to Harlem I can't think of one predominantly black community that isn't high crime. That's not a knock on you, that's the way it is. If you can show me one I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 07-04-2007 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-04-2007, 04:51 PM

348 posts, read 430,431 times
Hmmm.....I hesitate to jump in here.....as there's already fire in the room. BUT, being a former NYC'er, I do think I understand what Lildee is trying to ask in terms of neighborhood. IF Charlotte were divvied up into neighborhoods such as the ones that Lildee points out, there would be an easier answer to this question--but Charlotte isn't sliced up in that same way.

Lildee, perhaps you might want to consider checking out the the Atlanta boards. I think you'll definitely find what you're looking for in terms of a predominantly African American neighborhood that is rich in history, ecomomic vibrancy, etc. Some neighborhoods I've visited that come to mind are Sweet Auburn, Virginia Highland, Midtown, etc.

I agree with the posters, including LoveMountains, that if you're looking for a single wealthy area that is predominantly African American, you'd be hardpressed. But there are plenty of neighborhoods that are well-off that have a marvelous array of blended cultures. And that's pretty much why I came to Charlotte from NYC---I did not want my children growing up in a vanilla white world and not know that there is diversity in this world. Charlotte absolutely provides that. But what divides neighborhoods here is definitely money rather than color lines.

And what I adore about this site, is that almost all of us don't know/can't see each other. Other than a screen name, we have no idea for the most part what our socio-economic-race is. I hope, Lildee, that you do not take anyone's response here as meant to offend...they're just trying to be straight-up with you. But sometimes, emails/chat rooms can carry a percieved tone where there is truly not one there.

We welcome you to our board, and hope that you can decide whether Charlotte is right for you or not.

:-)

Lisa

Old 07-04-2007, 04:56 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Nobody has been racist here but yourself. You came on here looking to segregate yourself from a white community, which is fine. However everyone here has been extremely helpful to you in trying to find a middle ground for your "upscale community", one you've been told doesn't exist in Charlotte, yet YOU were the one that pulled the race card and seemingly chomping at the bit to do so. You dealt that one, not anyone else here which certainly doesn't make them the racists. Plus I don't think anyone else is buying that they're racists either. Sorry, being called a racist will only get the person doing the calling a one-way ticket the other way. Nobody buys it.

And for the record from Chicago to Newark to Camden to Harlem I can't think of one predominantly black community that isn't high crime. That's not a knock on you, that's the way it is. If you can show me one I'd love to be proven wrong.
I do think there are places in this country that are predominantly black that are not high on crime. That said that does not apply here in Charlotte. If you are going to ask for help here and the truth is served to you, don't send it back with the racist tag if its not what you want to hear. Funny, if someone wrote in here they wanted a "white community" low on crime, THEY would be branded a racist..... double standard??? no doubt

Old 07-04-2007, 10:33 PM

233 posts, read 906,819 times
Default Okay, I get it...

Quote:
Hello, I am a 34-year old single Black professional looking into moving to NC early 2008. I'm from NJ but have been residing in FL for the past 8 years. I have some family and friends throughout NC and I have been doing some research and I believe Charlotte would be the best place for me to relocate. (based on diversity, employment, culture). I would really like to move into the heart of the City. I've been looking on-line at "Uptown Charlotte" - it's very pricey and I'm thinking not very diverse but looks extremely trendy and nice. I am looking for an upscale Black neighborhood that is in the midst of "what's happening". I'm done living on the "outskirts" of town and commuting to where I really want to be. Ultimately, I would like a townhouse/condo in an area with some culture and presence. Am I dreaming or is there such an area within Charlotte?
Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!!

When I think of upscale/professional Black neighborhoods, I think of Atlanta and Maryland. I feel Charlotte is set up differentlly. When I decided to move here, I researched all zip codes by crime and the number of children that pay for school lunch, as well as race. However, now that I am here, the criteria I used to search for a home was based on income, crime, and race (in that order).

I think many other cities and states tend to make a lot of AA's feel uncomfortable about moving to certain communities, but I do not get that impression living here in Charlotte. -(This is what Lovesmountains mentioned. I think it is hard to read the tone of some postings). Considering that there are so many transplants, no one race can claim their territory... However, you do have my fellow NY'ers flocking to Union County...hmmm..

I know it's about being comfortable around your own people, but you should think about "You" first (having a better home with a decent resale value). You can ask questions, but the best answers will come from your own personal experience. I would rent for at least 6 months, and look around on the weekends for something more permanent.

FYI, there is a decent crowd for young Black professionals, so you don't have to restrict yourself to living in certain neighborhoods.

Also, please keep in mind that (Everyone of color, ain't always your sistah and brotha). -Written how I would say it..

PM me if you like...

Last edited by NYnowNC; 07-04-2007 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte