Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:14 PM

18 posts, read 52,827 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. Brand new to the board here.

Planning a bold move from Long Island, NY to Charlotte. Im 39, married with two kids, ages 2 and 4, and just like so many of you, Im looking for a better way of life for my family. Part of the move will be a big career change for me. I want to be a paramedic, which means a drastic paycut from what I earn now in my present career (legal).

I really want to make this move work. But before I make the move, i need to know exactly how much i need to earn, and how much i will be able to afford.

Which is why i now ask all of you out there whether anyone knows of a website location or a company or anything else that i can access to plug in some numbers and see if i can make my plan work financially.

thanks everyone, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 09:17 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
go to salary.com

that might be able to help you...good luck...

Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 PM

Default thanks. what does it cost to live in charlotte per day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
go to salary.com

that might be able to help you...good luck...
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I guess a more specific question i have is, what does it cost for a family of 4 to live in charlotte per day/week/month/yr? I know approximately what i will earn when i move to charlotte, and the amount of money that i will have "in my pocket". I am just trying to figure out how much i need to sustain myself and my family.

Thanks again to all.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:30 PM

113 posts, read 457,451 times
well it's like, it depends what you're used to. An averige house sells for, like $200++, there are some borderline schools and higher crime areas that you pay more to stay out of...and you make less than in NY.
I guess some 75k might be not a bad start, although many folks live allright with a little less.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:00 AM

29 posts, read 103,330 times
Hey there EMTuknowme how are u? I am a also fellow LIer who also wants to move to Charlotte, union county to be exact. I also have 2 kids 2 and 4. I have been researching for 2 years, but am so scared to make the plunge. We just got back from a visit and we still like what we see and can't believe what kind of house you could get for you $$$. We fell in love with a house around $475k which seems like a lot of $$, but being from LI you know that $475k will buy you a old orginal tiny little house. So a big beautiful house at $475k is a bargain. Of course I have the equitiy in my house so I would only have a small mortgage. But could I afford that mortgage with the salary I would be making? So the the question is how much $ do you need to live? I have the same question as you. Everyone seems to say everything is cheaper, but salaries are lower there.
We are like you too because my husband is self employed and will be starting over also. If you find out let me know.
Also any questions e-mail me. What part of LI are you from? I'm from Massapequa.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:45 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
I believe you are asking about the cost of living. Go to this site: Moderator cut: link removed It will ask you what you make now and what you need to make where you are going to have the "same" salary. Personally, I think Charlotte is average compared to the country, and below average compared to larger cities.

Gas costs ~2.90/ga.
6 pack domestic beer ~5.99
smokes ~3.00
oil change ~20
movie theatre ~9.00 per adult
McDonald's ~4.00 per meal
Milk ~3.50 ga.
internet ~35.00
electric/gas bill for 2000 sq ft home for 2 adults: 150-200/mo.

hope this helps a little.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-06-2007, 10:57 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Gas costs me $2.65 (still high)
Where are you shopping for beer? Harris Teeter?
Don't smoke, but cigs are like $5-6 a pack in NY.
Oil change-$7.77 at the GM Dealer down the streat, or Walmart, AAA will do it for about $13-15 (diy for <$10).
McDonald's sucks
Soy Milk is better, cheaper and lasts longer
Internet is about right
Utility varies

Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Gas costs me $2.65 (still high)
Where are you shopping for beer? Harris Teeter?
Don't smoke, but cigs are like $5-6 a pack in NY.
Oil change-$7.77 at the GM Dealer down the streat, or Walmart, AAA will do it for about $13-15 (diy for <$10).
McDonald's sucks
Soy Milk is better, cheaper and lasts longer
Internet is about right
Utility varies
lol....these were averages. I haven't bought a pack in a couple years so was a guess. I know it's not 5-6 unless u get it out of a vending machine. Yes, coupons can get your oil changed for under 10. I buy beer by the 18 pack--Mich Ultra at Harris Teeter will cost you between $8.99-13.99, depending on VIC specials. You can buy a 12 pack of Beast for $4.99 or a 12 pack of Amstel Light for 12.99, depends on your flavor. I hate McDonald's too, but they have kids, lol. Tried Soy once, but like it better from a cow.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,506 times
I know your looking for advice, I know where I work they pay a decent wage for paralegals. Maybe you could earn at that level and move into being an EMT? I just don't know. THere are some salary comparison websites that you can run to see what the cost of living would be. Now, if you look on the outskirts of charlotte there will be some cost savings on taxes and things.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:21 PM

Default tx for reply, fellow LIer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaborti View Post
Hey there EMTuknowme how are u? I am a also fellow LIer who also wants to move to Charlotte, union county to be exact. I also have 2 kids 2 and 4. I have been researching for 2 years, but am so scared to make the plunge. We just got back from a visit and we still like what we see and can't believe what kind of house you could get for you $$$. We fell in love with a house around $475k which seems like a lot of $$, but being from LI you know that $475k will buy you a old orginal tiny little house. So a big beautiful house at $475k is a bargain. Of course I have the equitiy in my house so I would only have a small mortgage. But could I afford that mortgage with the salary I would be making? So the the question is how much $ do you need to live? I have the same question as you. Everyone seems to say everything is cheaper, but salaries are lower there.
We are like you too because my husband is self employed and will be starting over also. If you find out let me know.
Also any questions e-mail me. What part of LI are you from? I'm from Massapequa.

I live in jericho. my wife is from massapequa. small world i guess. she is 31. went to plainedge. her first name is lainie. do you know her? tx for answering my post. be well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte