Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:40 AM

11 posts, read 17,537 times

Advertisements

You've heard hundreds of times on this forum. A New Yorker with thoughts of coming to the Charlotte area. I have been researching and researching the area around the Charlotte area. Matthews, Huntersville, Waxsaw, etc etc. I have plans to fly down in two weeks to "scout" some areas.

Main concern #1:Schools. (two boys age 7 and 5) Understanding the districts are not set up the way they are on Long Island, from elementary to high school, which neighborhood/area has the highest test scores? I've looked up greatschools.com, are there other sites to research?

Main concern #2:Housing. I have a price range from $400k to $510k. Based on extensive searching, I see alot of potential homes. Any gated communitites or communities with pool/clubhouse you can suggest? (focusing on #1)

Main concern #3:Taxes. The property tax rate flucuate from town to town, correct? Is it fair to estimate housing property taxes would range from $4-6k? Currently, I pay $10k.

At present I own a business on Long Island. My goal is continue running it from my new location, with the thought of expanding it to the Charlotte area. (either from home office or rent a small office space--possible hiring )

Of course reiterating my main focus. Kids and the schooling they can obtain. Please give me honest opinions on the public schools and any other information you can pass along with regards to "charter" schools.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 08:32 AM

99 posts, read 293,291 times
I am also a NYer/LI er looking to move .We have been to Union County a few times and love it.Waxhaw,Weddington,Indian Trail,Wesley Chapel. have some nice home.We have friends that live in Stonegate and its very nice.We have also looked in the Brooks which is also nice as well.The schools in Union have a very good feedback from our friends who were in the Smithtown school district.I have two othe rfirends that live in Iredell and say the schools are great as well.They are also comparing them to Smithtown and Sachem.I am in Sachem and from what I was told they are as compatible if not better.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:36 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostreds09 View Post
You've heard hundreds of times on this forum. A New Yorker with thoughts of coming to the Charlotte area. I have been researching and researching the area around the Charlotte area. Matthews, Huntersville, Waxsaw, etc etc. I have plans to fly down in two weeks to "scout" some areas.

Main concern #1:Schools. (two boys age 7 and 5) Understanding the districts are not set up the way they are on Long Island, from elementary to high school, which neighborhood/area has the highest test scores? I've looked up greatschools.com, are there other sites to research?

Main concern #2:Housing. I have a price range from $400k to $510k. Based on extensive searching, I see alot of potential homes. Any gated communitites or communities with pool/clubhouse you can suggest? (focusing on #1)

Main concern #3:Taxes. The property tax rate flucuate from town to town, correct? Is it fair to estimate housing property taxes would range from $4-6k? Currently, I pay $10k.

At present I own a business on Long Island. My goal is continue running it from my new location, with the thought of expanding it to the Charlotte area. (either from home office or rent a small office space--possible hiring )

Of course reiterating my main focus. Kids and the schooling they can obtain. Please give me honest opinions on the public schools and any other information you can pass along with regards to "charter" schools.

Thank you!
I would suggest that you check the state site for last school year's scores. Since you are looking for the top performers, click Honors Schools of Excellence, then look for the counties that you are interested in. This information is not on Great Schools. They are about a year behind. ABCs

Old 10-19-2010, 08:38 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Where on LI are you from? Do you want a Nassau feel or a Suffolk feel?

How much house do you need size wise? Property size? Mature and treed? New construction? Do you want to own a boat and spend considerable time on a lake? At the 500k price point you're going to have tons of options.

Being a transplant from LI myself and having kids in public school, I would suggest that you concentrate your search in:

- South Charlotte... The REAL South Charlotte. If you want more of a closer in feel with a very mature area. Best commute.
- South South Charlotte... Ballantyne area. If you want to get more house for your money.
- Mooresville... Lake access sacrificing commute time to downtown.
- Union County... Waxhaw, Marvin, Weddington - where you'll get even more house for your money sacrificing commute time to downtown.

Specific to the towns you listed. I would steer clear of Huntersville unless you were willing to use private schools. If it's Matthews / Weddington schools, that will give you plenty of options. Waxhaw (specifically Northern Waxhaw - it's very big) is definitely a good option.

If you give us more details, we can help you zone in a bit more... Nothing beats visiting / driving the area and talking to people.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:44 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,183,540 times
Why not Fort Mill/Tega Cay area in SC as well?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Why not Fort Mill/Tega Cay area in SC as well?
You're right! Why not?!

Apologies as that should have made my list... I write too fast sometimes.

I'd put that somewhere in the sacrificing commute for more house / schools category, too.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 AM

80 posts, read 238,931 times
Also check out The Villages of Red Bridge in Locust. It's a new golf/country club community I've been researching(just for fun we just a built a home) I've read that the developer is from LI (and I believe the other developer is from Binghampton-where I'm from) and they expect 60-70% lots will be picked from Northerners...
I'm excited because I live close by and would love some more Northerners to move this way so we can maybe get a bagel shop, pizzeria,etc closer(so it's really for my benefit I suggest) but I've driven through it and it really does look nice..check it out!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 AM

285 posts, read 800,340 times
good luck to you. a former li'er myself, grew up in East northport and lived in the Sachem school district, we found an easy transition in waxhaw in the Cuthbertson HS cluster. I have children in Elem, middle and HS and they are all performing very well. I don't mind being out there however, i do find myself in Blakeney and Ballantyne all the time for medical for my kids

There are a ton of neighborhoods to choose from, feel free to dm me

Old 10-19-2010, 08:50 AM

80 posts, read 238,931 times
Also, wanted to add I lived in Huntersville before we moved over here(I've lived in Mooresville as well) and while I liked Huntersville because I liked having a bunch of transplants like us there(it's makes us feel more welcome quicker) the schools are severely overcrowded. We moved because of the schools(even though we homeschool now if I put the kids in school I want to feel good about it)

Old 10-19-2010, 09:24 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
Don't forget about Cabarrus County as well. Our neighborhood has some good schools (Cox Mill, Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill High) and we are not that far from Huntersville or Uptown even. We also have several neighbors from NY. We also have lower taxes than Meck county.

Our neighborhood has a pool, clubhouse, tennis courts, basketball court and some walking trails. We live in Winding Walk and it's a Shea neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte