Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times

Advertisements

Sigh.....you are correct Emissary....to bad a few dentists won't see what we are all saying here and speak up to explain why this is true. People makes jokes about people not having half their teeth but sadly it all makes sense now. Dental health is so important to a persons overall health. I just do not understand the thinking of the dentists here. CA is where the Hollywood dentists really are. I had one of the best dentists in CA (not a Hollywood dentist--better) and in reality he was considered pretty expensive but if he were here he would be lower then any I have found. I love it here in NC but this is so dissappointing. Guess with the good comes the bad everywhere......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:32 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I looked on the internet & got a dental discount card. It discounts services up to 60%. It also grossly limits who you can see. I got lucky since one of the dentists was 5 minutes from my house. But even with the discount some procedures are still too expensive. For example I had an infected tooth. I went to see the dentist & I was initially told that a root canal would be $2500. I was also told to see an oral surgeon. When I went to make an appointment with the surgeon I was told that the fee to see him was $1000 & wasn't covered by the discount card.

So naturally I didn't see him. The dentist lowered the price of the root canal to $1250 but that's still too much money so I had the tooth yanked for $120. They didn't want to do it though. They kept telling me that it would affect my bite & that I wouldn't have a perfect smile. Then again I don't smile with my teeth showing so that argument was ineffective. As far as the bite issue is concerned I just shift to the other side of my mouth.

The procedure took 2 hours & was painless...
If you don't mind the drive, I'll DM you the name of the dentist who's doing work for me. I'm aware that there's someplace that does good cheap work in Spartanburg, but the guy who told me about it didn't tell me the name of the place & he dropped dead.

For lack of someone to conduct a seance, I got the name of this dentist & for what he's doing, I think that the price is reasonable.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:33 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times
I don't know about the rest of you, but this is one of the facts I point out when someone is posting here about "cost of living" comparisons. I also point out how there are very few, if any, dentists statewide who offer night or weekend office hours.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:43 AM

I had a long reply but after I reread your post superk I totally think I misunderstood so I will try again.... I have not found any dentists in my area that offer any hours not on their schedule. I may be wrong--ha--I can't even afford to see them on their regular hours I'm sure not going to try their off hour prices!

Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,462 times
I have not live in a state where dental work was inexpensive. So, I'm kinda use to it. Luckily though, my teeth are in good shape. Mama always said, take care of your teeth and they will take care of you. Then there is genetics

Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
I've found that many dentists in the Carolinas (both North and South) refuse to contract with insurers and are therefore considered out of network...with anybody! That said, their fee schedule is outrageous and through the roof because they will just balance bill you for what insurance does not cover. The DMO network is sorely limited so even going for a more robust DMO plan over a PPO, there are very few dentists who are DMO providers.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 PM

I had to laugh at an older post on a thread talking about NC dentist....this poster made the remark that the dentists in NC were just trying to pay for their high tech equipment and the charges were infact fair, the dentist were caring and concerned for their patients having to pay so much. Oops, I guess it slipped my mind that the dentists here in NC pay so much more for their high tech equipment. Maybe they should shop around so they can keep their prices down closer to some other states.
Sorry, I just had to say that! JMO

Old 11-29-2010, 07:56 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
I believe the dentist work just like the hospitals do here. They know that if they all stick together and have the prices high as hell no one has a choice but to pay up. The newest thing the dentist do now is to offer you the ability to finance your bill which is with them sending you to a high interest rate loan shark company that wants 22% interest and will put a collection agency on you if you are several days late with the payment...its all about the money,every last dime they can get from you .....they dont care if you like it or not

Old 11-30-2010, 12:43 AM

46 posts, read 101,902 times
We moved here about 2 years ago (from CA btw) and I seem to remember reading that per capita doctors/ health care in general were lower than national avg. 'Not sure if it still holds true but if so, price would follow- supply vs. demand. I know waiting in the dentist and doctors offices here in CLT that they are much more crowded than I've ever experienced - esp the pediatric dentist office.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just lookin' View Post
We moved here about 2 years ago (from CA btw) and I seem to remember reading that per capita doctors/ health care in general were lower than national avg. 'Not sure if it still holds true but if so, price would follow- supply vs. demand. I know waiting in the dentist and doctors offices here in CLT that they are much more crowded than I've ever experienced - esp the pediatric dentist office.
I never heard that the health care here was lower then the national average. I don't doubt what you read/heard I just didn't hear that. Not sure where in NC that may hold true but not in my area! We have a dentist on every corner here so I doubt supply and demand is the problem. I have to agree with Nativechief on this one. I have seen how the hospitals, Dr.s etc stick together and demand a certain price and of course get it. I think that is why Kaiser Hospital/medical group could not remain here. Kaiser was not a part of the NC medical system and we don't see them here anymore.........
Nativechief, I had the exact problem you mentioned as I said earlier here in a post regarding the "Credit Care". My dentist recommended it and the first 6 months-year are ok but after that you just can't seem to ever get it paid off. I will avoid using it ever again if possible. I had also used that Care credit for my parrots vet bill which ran in the thousands of dollars. I won't even go into to the price of vets here. Most everything else seems reasonable and I have no complaints but sadly the most important things, health, medical, dental are over the top!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte