Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:47 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times

Advertisements

My mother always said "If you look hard enought for trouble...you will find it".

I have lived in Midtown Atlanta, NW Washington (Woodley Park), NY (Manhattan) and here in Uptown Charlotte. No fear here!

Just always be street smart and don't trust others!

Charlotte is a great place to live. Crime is no worse here than any other larger city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 03:01 PM

24 posts, read 66,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
My mother always said "If you look hard enought for trouble...you will find it".

I have lived in Midtown Atlanta, NW Washington (Woodley Park), NY (Manhattan) and here in Uptown Charlotte. No fear here!

Just always be street smart and don't trust others!

Charlotte is a great place to live. Crime is no worse here than any other larger city!

I think the statistics often show that Charlotte crime is higher than a lot of other large cities. I just don't think it is a deal breaker yet, for most people looking to come here or for a reason to leave the city. Things could get a little bit crazy around here if the economy slows down too much and the lowest rung of the economic ladder get more desperate, as it will in any other city experiencing a rough economic patch.

Charlotte has a lot in common with some of the other high-growth areas of the Southwest and Southern US, in that a lot of it's prosperity is tied to growth. If the growth slows down in construction and the in-flux of newcomers, the economy takes a pretty big hit. A lot of jobs are tied to growth, both private and public sector.

This accounts for far, far more of the areas jobs than banking, but is often overlooked. Take away the real estate commissions, Mortgage brokers fees, Building permits, construction jobs, builder supply houses, etc and the area takes a far larger hit to the economy, than a region used to experiencing a far less robust rate of growth.

Time will tell how things work out as far as the economy goes, but in general the city's crime level will probably have a direct correlation to how the local area pulls through the economic slowdown the country as a whole is experiencing.

My personal feelings are that the South in general has more draconic safety nets in place than other areas of the country, and this can have a dramatic affect on how people handle a set-back.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:15 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Crime is bad now too because of the economy.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Crime is bad now too because of the economy.
You really think so? I think the people committing these crimes would do it no matter the state of the economy. Why? Because their economic status will never change. They are stuck in the cycle of entitlement and a 4% unemployment rate, 5% interest rates, 14,000 Dow, nor record breaking quarter sales will ever change their habits. They are worthless scum who need to be thrown under the jail. They are not looking for jobs in the best of circumstances because they don't have to. They can feed off the rest of us who suffer at the hands of the ineptitude of our penal system. Morality has left the building, and crime will continue to soar around the country.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,918 times
Noone should move to Charlotte NC. The crime is getting worse and the city's priorities are mixed up (spending money on entertainment instead of judicial resources). The University area was nice about 10 years ago before low income housing began popping up everywhere. Diversity in Charlotte is forced instead of encouraged so if you like having a choice of the people you choose to associate with, this is not the place for you. Unfortunately, work keeps me here but the first chance I get......I'm out.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblue1 View Post
Noone should move to Charlotte NC. The crime is getting worse and the city's priorities are mixed up (spending money on entertainment instead of judicial resources). The University area was nice about 10 years ago before low income housing began popping up everywhere. Diversity in Charlotte is forced instead of encouraged so if you like having a choice of the people you choose to associate with, this is not the place for you. Unfortunately, work keeps me here but the first chance I get......I'm out.
You picked a 3 year old thread to air your gripes on? You would have gotten more attention if you had just started your own thread

The area surrounding the university itself hasn't been nice in 20 years. Sounds like you just picked the wrong place to live.

Yes, with our new "can't we all just get along" mayor more and more low income housing will be forced on nice areas of the city - but hey, majority rules and that's who the newcomers to Charlotte voted for.

Meanwhile, since you are here for the duration, why not just move to a nicer part of town?

Old 08-28-2010, 01:29 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
I kind of take offense at saying that the The area surrounding the university itself hasn't been nice in 20 years. I live near the University and, although we have had our issues, it is quite diverse with many cultures living peaceably together. I think that the area is fine and the police do a fantastic job of harnessing the bad element that tries to nudge it's way in continually. In fact, I prefer living here than in other parts of the city that are defined by primarily one demographic; which to me is not only quite boring, but, certainly lacks in cultural stimulation.

You are both sounding quite snobby in your analysis. Loves, I am quite surprised at your post. Just because someone is of low income does not mean that they are bad people. I seriously could go on, but, I have homework to do.

to joeblue: if you are looking for someplace that has a uniform demographic that has a bland cultural basis, perhaps you should move to another country? There are (thankfully) fewer places in the United States now that maintain the fantasy of everyone being alike living together in one spot. God knows, you should never live in a city larger than this; you will be in some kind of shock!

To both: I am not necessarily advocating the practices of any political party; however, I do believe that people really should not be defined by their means nor their ethnic, racial origins nor their appearance. People should be defined by their character alone. I am also an advocate of giving people a hand up and allowing them to break the barriers that may well have kept them in poverty to begin with.

I am not a "social" type of person due to the very biases stated in these two posts. I never cease to be amazed at the close-mindedness of people!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:54 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I kind of take offense at saying that the The area surrounding the university itself hasn't been nice in 20 years. I live near the University and, although we have had our issues, it is quite diverse with many cultures living peaceably together. I think that the area is fine and the police do a fantastic job of harnessing the bad element that tries to nudge it's way in continually. In fact, I prefer living here than in other parts of the city that are defined by primarily one demographic; which to me is not only quite boring, but, certainly lacks in cultural stimulation.

You are both sounding quite snobby in your analysis. Loves, I am quite surprised at your post. Just because someone is of low income does not mean that they are bad people. I seriously could go on, but, I have homework to do.

to joeblue: if you are looking for someplace that has a uniform demographic that has a bland cultural basis, perhaps you should move to another country? There are (thankfully) fewer places in the United States now that maintain the fantasy of everyone being alike living together in one spot. God knows, you should never live in a city larger than this; you will be in some kind of shock!

To both: I am not necessarily advocating the practices of any political party; however, I do believe that people really should not be defined by their means nor their ethnic, racial origins nor their appearance. People should be defined by their character alone. I am also an advocate of giving people a hand up and allowing them to break the barriers that may well have kept them in poverty to begin with.

I am not a "social" type of person due to the very biases stated in these two posts. I never cease to be amazed at the close-mindedness of people!
Post Of The Year! I love everything you said, ChicagoCubs, you are my friend for life!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:24 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,119 times
Yeah Loves, you know I "loves" ya but I gotta say, we moved out of a neighborhood very close to UNCC ten years ago. In hindsight, we got out just in time because while at the time of our move, the neighborhood and immediate area were very nice (nothing fancy, but perfectly good starter homes), it did start to go downhill pretty quickly a year or so after that. I still drive thru it when I'm up that way. It actually is starting to look a little better than it did a year or two ago. Oh my, I'm all over the place in my time machine on this post! Sorry.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Yeah Loves, you know I "loves" ya but I gotta say, we moved out of a neighborhood very close to UNCC ten years ago. In hindsight, we got out just in time because while at the time of our move, the neighborhood and immediate area were very nice (nothing fancy, but perfectly good starter homes), it did start to go downhill pretty quickly a year or so after that. I still drive thru it when I'm up that way. It actually is starting to look a little better than it did a year or two ago. Oh my, I'm all over the place in my time machine on this post! Sorry.

In essence you are agreeing with me, you feel you "got out just in time 10 years ago". Point being, you saw the area for what it was and left.

The reality is, a lot of what got built up near the University back in the late 80's was considered nice at the time - but that was all an illusion. It was only "nice" while it still looked shiny and new. Faires Farms is a perfect example, though I do not wish to continue along that line as I know some of our posters live there and would feel insulted.

Suffice it to say, when UNCC was growing back in the 80's/early 90's and the university area began to grow up around it there was a great deal of excitement about it being the "next big thing". But poor planning, too many starter homes, proximity to areas that have never been good doomed that from the beginning. Which is why I say, certain parts of the University area have not be good in 20 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte