Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:45 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Don't forget that if you are considering this your starter home, you will want to sell you home in the future. Buying a home in a crime infested area is not a good selling point.

I'm curious what part of Columbus you live in, since you are used to crime. Crime here is a little different, so give me some insight to where you are coming from. I'm from Columbus, so I'm familiar w/the entire city.

Im from an area about 5 minutes from downtown now called "franklin' in franklin county but some of us know it as "the bottoms". Originally due to the area it being it getting flooded by two past floods and more recently for the crime in the area. There was a tripple homicide on the street I live on for example, another is looked out front and saw two people with guns pointed at eachother hollerin at eachother...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
My advice is for you to go over to the houses you have found listed. I would do it on a friday night around 10 pm or a little later. Then you need to park your car and get out and take a little walk...Walk maybe 3 or four blocks in different directions and I think you will quickly learn if you like the neighborhood. Be sure and speak to others you meet and say hello. I suggest wearing a good pair of running shoes also. WELCOME TO CHARLOTTE

I can unfortunatly say that I am used to crime. Just tryin to get somewhere with less of it. It doesnt scare me unless the area is extremely compared to others

Old 12-19-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Try Faires Farms. It is almost walking distance from UNCC. Also the true petty crimes far outweighs the scary stuff compared to the stats you just saw. The neighborhood is located near Old Concord and McLean.

Not out 'in Concord' though, is it? I really really considered Concord but a little too far for my liking.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Holy cow - this is considered safer than that first one listed? I almost choked when I saw the crime listing.

I just looked at alot of them on the supposed 'bad westside' and the crime rates weren't that bad. I'm looking at them like, um... why 'not' the westside.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,004,902 times
Quote:
Holy cow - this is considered safer than that first one listed? I almost choked when I saw the crime listing.
Yea exactly why we moved. Starting our family was the only motivation we needed. I will say that considering the OP experience he will probably feel quite safe particularly on Baxter Caldwell. It is a street with 2 cual-de-sacs so somewhat insulated from some of the true craziness. Also if you buy here low enough he would have the potential to sell later and not lose his shirt. Given he won't be moving here for another year (I think I read that) who knows what things will change. May be better to wait until he is 3 months from his moving date and restart these kind of details.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,137,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
I can unfortunatly say that I am used to crime. Just tryin to get somewhere with less of it. It doesnt scare me unless the area is extremely compared to others
I didnt bring up crime. I just figured anyone who would buy a house would like some real life experience to help him gain a sense of the community . Let him smell the smells. let him see what might be unseen, let him feel the pulse and heartbeat of a thriving community . ,,,,you arent afraid to do this are you?

Old 12-19-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Yea exactly why we moved. Starting our family was the only motivation we needed. I will say that considering the OP experience he will probably feel quite safe particularly on Baxter Caldwell. It is a street with 2 cual-de-sacs so somewhat insulated from some of the true craziness. Also if you buy here low enough he would have the potential to sell later and not lose his shirt. Given he won't be moving here for another year (I think I read that) who knows what things will change. May be better to wait until he is 3 months from his moving date and restart these kind of details.

Well, Just gettin a feel for things. I understand prices and crime change a little over the course of a year but not too much. Learning all I can way ahead of time up until I go. Just the way I am

Old 12-19-2010, 09:02 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,004,902 times
Quote:
Not out 'in Concord' though, is it? I really really considered Concord but a little too far for my liking.
No definitely not out "in Concord". It is actually walking distance from UNCC except there are railroad tracks you'd have to walk over ( I do not suggest that). Also take a look at this map:

Baxter Caldwell Drive, Charlotte, NC - Google Maps

The labels "East Deck 1, Storrs, Fretwell... those are UNCC buildings and parking. Also if zoom out and follow Old Concord Rd down to N. Tryon St you will see you are VERY close to Uptown Charlotte. On a good day I made that commute in less than 20 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I didnt bring up crime. I just figured anyone who would buy a house would like some real life experience to help him gain a sense of the community . Let him smell the smells. let him see what might be unseen, let him feel the pulse and heartbeat of a thriving community . ,,,,you arent afraid to do this are you?

Of course not, I would love to walk around the area and holler hello to people I meet. Anybody within the general sorrounding area, i'd also be glad to introduce myself as their neighbor and just hope I have some good ones

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
Quote:
as a matter of fact, now that i am looking at this crime tool. Even the westside of Charlotte is not looking bad. Some even better than the one gkleoni1 looked at for me. Omg. Why does Charlotte seem to have such a high assualt rate for example but looking at these #'s I feel okay in general just about anywhere near the city I guess. Just need to avoid the really bad areas and need to know some good neighborhoods to consider..
The distribution of crime in Charlotte is different than in Cbus. You are from a pretty ghetto area, but the places you are looking in Charlotte aren't going to be much better than Franklinton. Charlotte is one big city and doesn't have a suburban structure like Columbus. North Charlotte isn't going to be like living in Westerville, for example. The difference is that Cbus has lots of older neighborhoods that have gone way downhill where Charlotte has lots of newer subdivisions that were never very nice to begin with.

If you get into West Charlotte you are definitely treading on ghetto territory. There's lots of gang activity in N. and W. Charlotte, and major drugs (obviously).

I think you should just rent for a year and feel things out for yourself. The homes in the price range and areas you are looking are definitely NOT going to be going up in value in the next couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte