Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:04 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
No definitely not out "in Concord". It is actually walking distance from UNCC except there are railroad tracks you'd have to walk over ( I do not suggest that). Also take a look at this map:

Baxter Caldwell Drive, Charlotte, NC - Google Maps

The labels "East Deck 1, Storrs, Fretwell... those are UNCC buildings and parking. Also if zoom out and follow Old Concord Rd down to N. Tryon St you will see you are VERY close to Uptown Charlotte. On a good day I made that commute in less than 20 mins.

I do drive so I could just drive it to school. But it is nice being that close. What is this neighborhood called ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 09:04 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,469 times
Plus I am not exactly sure of the status but I think the lightrail is still planned to reach UNCC. If so then I think property values could be affected positively. The lightrail would esstentially allow people in the UNCC area to get Uptown, either for work or bars without having to drive.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
I do drive so I could just drive it to school. But it is nice being that close. What is this neighborhood called ?
Faires Farms.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
The distribution of crime in Charlotte is different than in Cbus. You are from a pretty ghetto area, but the places you are looking in Charlotte aren't going to be much better than Franklinton. Charlotte is one big city and doesn't have a suburban structure like Columbus. North Charlotte isn't going to be like living in Westerville, for example. The difference is that Cbus has lots of older neighborhoods that have gone way downhill where Charlotte has lots of newer subdivisions that were never very nice to begin with.

If you get into West Charlotte you are definitely treading on ghetto territory. There's lots of gang activity in N. and W. Charlotte, and major drugs (obviously).

I think you should just rent for a year and feel things out for yourself. The homes in the price range and areas you are looking are definitely NOT going to be going up in value in the next couple of years.

But looking at the #'s around some of the houses dont even look like what it is where I stay now. And i'm in the city on the westside of Columbus. I figure in the city on the North side of Charlotte will be better crime wise then where i'm at right now. Because i am in one of the worse neighborhoods on the westside of columbus. So I will stick with avoiding W. Charlotte but N. Charlotte anywhere may have crime but just doesn't seem that bad to me...

Old 12-19-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Faires Farms.

I have it wrote down!!

Old 12-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Plus I am not exactly sure of the status but I think the lightrail is still planned to reach UNCC. If so then I think property values could be affected positively. The lightrail would esstentially allow people in the UNCC area to get Uptown, either for work or bars without having to drive.
I enjoy driving

Old 12-19-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
The distribution of crime in Charlotte is different than in Cbus. You are from a pretty ghetto area, but the places you are looking in Charlotte aren't going to be much better than Franklinton. Charlotte is one big city and doesn't have a suburban structure like Columbus. North Charlotte isn't going to be like living in Westerville, for example. The difference is that Cbus has lots of older neighborhoods that have gone way downhill where Charlotte has lots of newer subdivisions that were never very nice to begin with.

If you get into West Charlotte you are definitely treading on ghetto territory. There's lots of gang activity in N. and W. Charlotte, and major drugs (obviously).

I think you should just rent for a year and feel things out for yourself. The homes in the price range and areas you are looking are definitely NOT going to be going up in value in the next couple of years.
However I will take your advice and rent for a year. On top of it I will drive around and look at all side and different streets much as I can to get a feel for things. I just try to get all the info I can.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:17 PM

Alrighty best of luck to you in your search... Feel free to ask for more info. BTW the lightrail information was more in reference to something that might help improve property values in the area than something for you to use. If you were to buy close to UNCC before they put in a lightrail it might help you get a return on your investment. That's just the realtor in me talking though.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:22 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
However I will take your advice and rent for a year. On top of it I will drive around and look at all side and different streets much as I can to get a feel for things. I just try to get all the info I can.
I understand! It's hard to know the "feel" for an area until you live there, so renting for a bit is always a good move.

I know the houses where you live don't look like the ones you are looking at here, but that was my point about Charlotte's newer-looking but not so nice neighborhoods. Charlotte is similar to Cbus in a lot of ways, but the development of the city and neighborhoods is very different. You will not find "old" neighborhoods here the way you do in Cbus. There's no Victorian Village, or Short North, or even Campus. There is really only one older area, and it's RichyRich ville. Think uber-rich Bexley. Even the ghettos are new compared to Cbus.

You'll see once you come down. That being said, there ARE plenty of great areas around the city to live in.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I understand! It's hard to know the "feel" for an area until you live there, so renting for a bit is always a good move.

I know the houses where you live don't look like the ones you are looking at here, but that was my point about Charlotte's newer-looking but not so nice neighborhoods. Charlotte is similar to Cbus in a lot of ways, but the development of the city and neighborhoods is very different. You will not find "old" neighborhoods here the way you do in Cbus. There's no Victorian Village, or Short North, or even Campus. There is really only one older area, and it's RichyRich ville. Think uber-rich Bexley. Even the ghettos are new compared to Cbus.

You'll see once you come down. That being said, there ARE plenty of great areas around the city to live in.
I can see how there is crime. No doubt there is. From my research it seems on par with Columbus only Charlotte seems to have a higher Assault per 100,000 than here On another note rather new or older looking, to me only 'some' of Charlotte seems to be as bad as 'most' of Columbus.. if that makes any scence at all. I have an Aunt that stays in Dublin here and I stayed in an apartment in Hilliard for awhile, I even know somebody in Grove City so I know the area pretty well too, From its poor ghetto areas to the really nice areas like you said Bexley. I have also been through and to alot of ghettos, not I guess I just have to get over there to Charlotte so that i'm able to get a feel for things. I'm sure there will only be certain areas on certain sides I will think is bad or worse as the areas im use to seeing over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte