Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:12 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,771 times

Advertisements

Those who have read my previouse posts and those who have not, I would like to officially introduce myself. My name I joe, I am from Columbus, Oh (yep a "yankee") although I dont consider myself the same as New Englanders because I am from the 'Midwest' (sorry to those offended). for what it's worth my Grandpa is from Mingo County, WV and I have an Aunt that stays in a small town in NC at the foothills of the mountains

I have been doing extensive amounts of research on Charlotte, Nc. I myself love everything about the South. Not the superficial stuff like lower housing, cost of living, weather etc.. although some of that dont hurt.

Just to give you a feel for things, Here in Columbus (at this moment) our unemployment rate is lower by a couple points but I see that Charlotte is a strong banking center and feel will recover mostly in the next year or two. Crime is about the same, Cost of living is about the same. The only reasons I am relocating is for the most part weather and culture. It's not like i'm trying to escape some crazy high cost of living like they are up in NY/NJ.

I though I should rent the first year to make sure I like it before getting a house but i'm somewhat scared that with how cheap houses are right now that if I snooze I will lose So I will start looking about 6 months after getting down there (I still will rent first, too risky not too). I love Concord but it is kinda far out for me and kind of rural. I want to be closer to the city and I think it is still worth it so I decided on the affordable yet pretty safe area of N. Charlotte.

Not Huntersville, Cornelius or Davidson but just N. Charlotte. I can be close to the city, pretty safe and still not too far from UNCC where I will be attending or anywhere else except for maby S. Charlotte. Only reason I didnt choose there is because It is kind of costly for me. On another note through all of my research I have fallin absolutely in love with the area. I will be down in roughly 1 year. I pretty much have everything figured out but any words of wisdom or advice is always welcomed.

Also, any suggestions on neighborhoods on the Northside of the city would be wonderful.

Ps. I'm not comeing to try to change or compare anything. I am comeing to assimilate the best way I know how. Meet as many people as I can and enjoy my new life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 05:33 PM

120 posts, read 238,045 times
Wow--good luck my friend

Old 12-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEOPLESCHAMP View Post
Wow--good luck my friend

Thank you...

Old 12-19-2010, 06:06 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,469 times
Are you looking for a house to rent or an apartment? Or maybe a townhome/condo? Are there any other details that matter? For instance some neighborhoods here have good sized yards with lots of trees other are very small and have no trees. If you are coming solo you may not want the upkeep involved in a large yard. If you have children or dogs you may find a good yard and absolute neccesity. With just some basic info I can certainly pass on what neighborhoods fit your M/O. Best of luck in your move...

Old 12-19-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Are you looking for a house to rent or an apartment? Or maybe a townhome/condo? Are there any other details that matter? For instance some neighborhoods here have good sized yards with lots of trees other are very small and have no trees. If you are coming solo you may not want the upkeep involved in a large yard. If you have children or dogs you may find a good yard and absolute neccesity. With just some basic info I can certainly pass on what neighborhoods fit your M/O. Best of luck in your move...
Well, I'm not too picky in my preference. I am single and I dont have any animals, although I do hope to get me a puppy in the near future. I dont want a yard soo big I need a ridin lawnmower but a decent or average size yard would be okay I guess. I dont want my backyard to be wooded, however a few trees are fine. I am looking into single family homes. I checked out Charlottehomes and saw they have really nice looking houses for the price range i'm looking at in that area right now. I'm talking about $100.00 a month rent for every $25,000 on the house. (So my price is only like $65-80,000). It seems houses are a steal right now. Great to be a buyer but I feel bad for the current owners since they are already loseing soo much value on their house...

I'd like a garage for the car or maby even a nice driveway iin a good neighborhood would do. that's about all I can think of at the moment...

Old 12-19-2010, 07:14 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
Quote:
So my price is only like $65-80,000

Do you mean that is the current value? Whether you are renting or buying, a house in Charlotte in that price range is not in a good area! There is a reason they are that cheap. Don't consider anything that low.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:33 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,469 times
Ok yea let's address your pricing assumptions. To be in a generally safe area even a VERY small single-family home will rent for at least $900 and sell for $95K - $110K min. These will probably still be distressed properties with the need for some TLC/$$$$ to be invested after the fact. These neighborhoods would probably still see some petty crime like cars being broken into but you would not feel a constant threat to your general safety. You may want to consider an apartment or at least a townhome.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:36 PM

I looked up homes that have previously sold in N. Charlotte and saw many that had monthly rents of what I quoated. Also I looked at the houses on the website in that price range and saw some really nice ones according to the pictures and I like them so....I am not worried about petty crime or small amounts of violent crime, And the houses I saw in the price range were not very small and they looked really nice... i am not understanding/ I want to buy one of these houses, Not an apartment or townhome. (this will be my starter house)

Old 12-19-2010, 07:39 PM

Here is an example: 2703 Fairstone Ave, Charlotte, NC 28269 MLS# 978458 - Zillow

Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 PM

Some more examples:

4218 Craven Hill Dr, Charlotte, NC 28216 MLS# 989189 - Zillow

7645 Hidden Creek Dr, Charlotte, NC 28214 MLS# 989109 - Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte