Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:09 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If you ever get to northern Delaware, Philly, or South Jersey in the summer, jp, you'll hear one thing over & over. It ain't the heat, it's the humidity.

So true
I know it..humidity is tough anywhere near water. We get it here, but its not terrible...just so damn HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHA...ahh I'm having a tough day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I know it..humidity is tough anywhere near water. We get it here, but its not terrible...just so damn HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHA...ahh I'm having a tough day
LOL, I wondered about that. . . but since the OP either lives or has lived in South Jersey, summers aren't the problem, here. Since he's complaining about a lack of bloom in the winter, well, it's no different here.

However, I know the look, feel & ambience of one of the towns that he mentioned to a former Jersey resident when asking in the Atlanta area. Everyone here is directing him to new construction areas. If he's looking to get close, in any respect, to the town that I know, he's being direction 180 degrees from what he's looking for.

Oh well. . . I indicated in this thread that I came down from South Jersey & he didn't pick up on it. He never stated a preference for or against new construction.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:43 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, I wondered about that. . . but since the OP either lives or has lived in South Jersey, summers aren't the problem, here. Since he's complaining about a lack of bloom in the winter, well, it's no different here.

However, I know the look, feel & ambience of one of the towns that he mentioned to a former Jersey resident when asking in the Atlanta area. Everyone here is directing him to new construction areas. If he's looking to get close, in any respect, to the town that I know, he's being direction 180 degrees from what he's looking for.

Oh well. . . I indicated in this thread that I came down from South Jersey & he didn't pick up on it. He never stated a preference for or against new construction.

But South...you dont live in South Charlotte! Where all the SPECIAL people live

Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 PM

210 posts, read 507,807 times
Pansies all fall & winter into spring, flowers & flowering trees start blooming in March, have flowers other than Pansies from March to about December. Lots greener here.

Fort Mill seemed nice and Southern to me, but we couldn't find what we both wanted to live in when we were ready to buy. Charlotte is huge, so there are innumerable options depending on what you really like. Rock Hill? It reminded me of the old manufacturing town/ city where I grew up. Lots of traffic and old strip shopping areas.

You really should plan a trip and look around before deciding on anything. I checked out houses and neighborhoods for 9 months before buying. I ended up in Indian Trail and absolutely love my home.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:53 PM

182 posts, read 492,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
They're in bloom from November to April, and then dead from May to October. Really puts a damper on spring, summer, and fall.

Impatients, Begonias, Hostas, Roses...May until late October. Pansies...all winter through May...the Southeast has beautiful foilage all year and some of the most vibrant Fall colors you will ever see. Find a local garden club and they will help you out tremendously. We have some "grey months" from January thru March but overall...compared to NJ? It's beautiful!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,723 times
Hey SamsDad - a vote for Fort Mill, we hate to leave! A lot of memories for us here: http://t.co/Ve02Wn0......................good (broken link) luck with your move!

Old 03-14-2011, 12:56 PM

76 posts, read 158,876 times
NO BRAINER -- Fort Mill www.fortmillsc.org or Tega Cay !!! www.tegacaysc.org

More info and links, check the local welcoming service: www.expresswelcome.com

Good luck!!

Old 08-07-2015, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 950 times
Default Lancaster County

Read you post. Look in Lancaster County, Indian Land/Fort Mill we are building a new home in The Longbrooke development all custom homes. We happen to be building a craftsman style home. We are about 3 miles south of the NC/SC line off of US 521 in a gated community. neighbors very nice about 70 lots fifteen are built on there are 3 houses going up now.

we are 10 min to Ballantine 35 min to downtown charlotte where we go to Panther games, and symphony, baseball, and dining. Lower taxes than charlotte good schools.

good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdad View Post
Hello All,

*Love this site and value everyone's feedback and greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

My wife and I and our 9 yr old son are planning to move from NJ (too cold too high taxes) to the south. I've narrowed it down to Fort Mill SC, and Charlotte, NC.

*I work from home so job is not an issue.

Here is what we are specifically looking for:

-Good school

-No "cookie cutter" developments. We tend to be drawn to homes which offer a little more architectual style and charm (ie craftsman style).

-Sense of a nice community which to us is nice people but also a sense of feeling connected to other towns, that is we don't want to live in a community where you have to drive down a long rural road to get to the next town. It would be nice to have neighboring towns very close.

-We don't want to be in overly spacious developments but rather smaller neighborhoods where my child could easily find friends. We of course don't want to be on top of each other--a half an acre would be just fine.

-If possible would like a charming downtown but ok if we don't get that.

-Can spend 300k to 350k

-Like the hot weather but not as hot as FL or GA.

-We are not very religious so being near a church will not be important to us.

-Would like to have areas for entertainment (plays, restaurants) but don't need a wild night life.

-I of course realize that you can't get everything on your wish list but thought I should mention everything we are trying to achieve.

**AND CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT MONTHS THE FLOWERS AND TREES ARE IN BLOOM BECAUSE IN NJ THE DEAD OF WINTER IS FROM THE END OF OCT UNTIL THE END OF APRIL.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and we are open to other areas that I may not have mentioned.

Thank you!

Old 08-07-2015, 10:15 AM

547 posts, read 774,473 times
Why are you two replying to a 4yr old post? Do a search and you'll find they have already moved from NJ to Davidson...four years ago.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:15 PM

26 posts, read 58,375 times
You can have blooms in your yard from mid April until November. Knockout roses do well in all conditions here. Geraniums do well all summer. Other flowers are grown specifically to defeat the heat. Just ask your nursery which ones to buy. I love flowers and find the growing conditions are great for the ones I choose to plant. In the Fort mill postal area called Indian Land the schools are great and it is a straight shot up Hwy 521 to get to Ballentyne and into Charlotte. There are many new homes being built and new pscale retail sites are scheduled to be built in the next couple of years. This is the fastest growing area around Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte